Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for long distance ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Preparing for long distance ride?

I used a HOG atlas along with my other maps. Stopped at 3 dealers along the way. Probably passed a few hundred.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in hotter weather long riding days Gatorade/Powerade is not what you need....it does not replace the necessary fluids lost during hot weather riding....you need straight water!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Park your Bike by the entrance of the Hotel, undercover. I've never had anyone ask me to move my bike. Also there's almost always someone working the front desk, makes people that might mess with your bike think twice.

Having in Nav is a BIG help!

Pack large Zip ties, Duct Tape, & tie downs.

If its a heavy travel time of year, find a hotel by 4PM.. Learned this one the hard way, twice!!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done 600+ miles in a day on a Wideglide. Here is what I find will make it more enjoyable.

1. Backrest! I pack up my bag so that it sits on my back seat. Then strap either a pillow or roll a jacket or something up and bungie net it so that I can comfortable lean back and rest my back.
2. Earplugs! After the first hundred miles they will be a savior!
3. Plan your stops. I do better if I know how far before the next stop. My hubby and I run 150 miles between stops. If I know it's 150 miles then I can gage it on my tripometer and Idon't get so anxious to stop. If it is just indefinate I find myself wanting to stop more often just because. (hope that makes sense).
4. Cup holder! Do you have a windshield? I find a bottle of water rests nicely between my bars and windshield. I put one with the sport top on it so I can grab a swig of water whenever I need on.
5. Use your throttle lock or cruise control.

Other than that just enjoy the ride! You'll do fine. I've done it plenty of times!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 AM
Deucegurl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for all the info...........you guys are great There is alot of info in here that I never thought about and its helpful to hear how somebody who has been there and done that made it happen!
The SG is going in today for the 5k service and an IDS install. Gonna work on getting us both ready for a trip now!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:31 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deucegurl

Ive got a ride planned for late January or early February from NC down to the Florida Keys. We will be making the trip down in two days and the whole trip will be about a week or so. I havent ever riden that far in one trip and I know the Street Glide is up to it but what about the girl? Any suggestions on getting me ready to go? Ive done 200 miles easy in one day but this ones gonna be longer. Its been a dream of mine to just jump on the bike and go so nows the time!
That's not a trip! That's a ride!

Nah, seriously, that sounds great. Stay as far west as you can until you get to the pan handle so you can enjoy some twisties on the way. Once you're in FLA, it's flat and straight and flat and... bleh!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:08 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't forget to plan your route/stops to avoid the normal traffic delays around the larger metropolitan ares. We have a Magellan Crossover GPS with the optional traffic warning to tell us if there is any congestion ahead and it re-routes you around it. It also has POI's (Points Of Interest) that will find the nearest Gas, food, or accomidations complete with phone numbers.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

Excellent info! Haven't taken a long trip for awhile, so it's good to refresh the memory for the necessitites for a nice ride, plus learn some more tips (never considered the silky boxer shorts...).
What I remember:
[ul][*]HAVING to make the long day ride isn't always apleasure, hindsight I should plan more conservatively so that not riding as far is an option.[*]Not finding avacancy when without a sleeping bag is a pain, I always make reservations ahead of time now.[*]Wet sucks, garbage bags don't necessarily make good rain proof covers on the road.[*]Dehydration= bad.[*]Motel saunas= good![*]Handy tools are important.[/ul]

Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Lots of good information. One thing I did not see or maybe I missed it, a good little tool kit and some extra fuses.
Another real important item, a roll or two of TP. You just never know.
In regards to the packing, as stated, roll your clothes and get some rubber bands to help keep them tight in the bag.
Water is a must. I did read somewhere to drink some OJ every now and then.
Sounds like fun... enjoy yourself... take pictures when you can and most of all be safe and let us know how it all went...

Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
gene01
Road Captain

GPS to keep you on track poi's gas stations

I use a camel back with crystal light hydration mixed with water for warm days

a jacket even if it is warm

gloves, full face helmet, sun glasses

combo air compressor/first aid kit/tire repair kit

good mix of clothes ie shorts, riding pants for comfort , extra socks

cell phone with charger, good tunes to listen to ie: ipod if bike has no radio

snacks, you need to eat very small snacks and small meals 5-6 times a day, you don't want to eat large meals

let someone know where you will be next and check in once a day or more

enough extra cash and a credit card just incase a problem occurs

extra headlight bulb

tool kit

vitamins and high energy bars

check your drive belt, oil levels and tires before you leave and every day on the trip..... replace fuel filterbefore you leave in addition to oil change and complete service