Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for long distance ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Preparing for long distance ride?

Plan on making your meal/rest stops different than you fuel stops.

Riding up to the pump, getting fuel and heading back on the road again, is not really a rest stop.

Riding long distance is/as some one said, not difficult, however, you need to drink plenty of fluids, rest at regular intervals, and have a good time.

The Iron Butt Site is a wealth of information.

Enjoy the ride

Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
FLFOOL
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never eat heavy foods. I take along oranges, apples, berries and lots of water.
Any kind of foods with carbs and fats will make you drousy, especially in warmer temps.
Some baby powder when getting dressed will help with the clothing clawing at your skin
as you warm up. If you do a lot of time at a desk you'll know where to apply. Carry some sort of eye wash, tears or whatever. The eyes dry out very badly even with goggles. Use some sun block. Don't want to wrinkle up before your time!
Ear plugs. Long distance with wind and exhaust noise is very tiring. And the ringing at night
will be regretable. After several years of abuse it is deafening.

After 300 miles or so you may notice that you are a bit sluggish to respond to changes in
traffic, etc. Time to rest. Ten minutes hugging a tree will do it. I carry a portable hammock I found at ChinaMart that is great. Packs about the size of a softball. I've also learned a few yoga
stretches I use throughout the day. Remember that regardless of how comfy you are on your ride, you are still in one position for hours on end. One some 1000 mile days I do all kinds of repetative
motions in my shoulders, ankles, hips, fingers, neck. I'll go for a set number of repetitions or
for so many miles non-stop flexing my lower legs.
Avoid caffeine. It only works for short intervals and you'll just need to stop again for relief (see tree
hugging).

Try to avoid getting caught up in the car packs that always build up. Not the safest place to cruise.
At the end of the day a long, hot shower or soak is great for draining away the tension. And if you can request it at the hotel, avoid the firm mattress and go for a softer one. Recent research shows
that our muscles do not relax at night on a firm mattress. In constant tension.

Smile often.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:24 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

FL:

Interesting comment on soft mattress.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Deucegurl
Ive got a ride planned for late January or early February from NC down to the Florida Keys. We will be making the trip down in two days and the whole trip will be about a week or so. I havent ever riden that far in one trip and I know the Street Glide is up to it but what about the girl? Any suggestions on getting me ready to go? Ive done 200 miles easy in one day but this ones gonna be longer. Its been a dream of mine to just jump on the bike and go so nows the time!
I would suggest a few hours of reverse cowboy the night before. Simulate the mind and flex the body. Great for getting ready for a long haul. You need some physical readiness to go along with the mental...............................j/k....have a great trip.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
bikenuts
Cruiser

I plan my stops based on "time", not "miles". One hour of 2-lane "twisty" mountain driving creates more fatigue (and stress) than 4 lane, kick back, "cruise control" riding. I usually try to get off after 1 1/2 hours, regardless of distance driven. Depending on road conditions, traffic, etc., that could be 80 to 125 miles. This keeps me physically and mentally alert. Weather also effects the frequency of stops. When temps climb to 100+, I take more breaks. Also, I keep a few bottles of water onboard. But the best advice I can give you is NOT to pre-determine how many miles you will go each day. Let your body tell you when you've had enough. Much safer than "forcing" the extra miles when you're exhausted.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Bluerose

All good and some funny responses.

I have done 350 miles in a day on the softail and could have gone farther but I was already at my destination. [&:] Hubby and I did 1600 miles on our last vacation.

Besides statying hydrated, and resting we found the following good for us:
[ol][*]Try to give yourself plenty of time remember you are not in a nice cozy cage and will be making extra stops. Estimate your time at 50 - 55 miles an hour if your doing Highway and 35 - 45 miless an hour off the main roads. This means 500 miles could potentially take 10 hours on the Highway.[*]If your not in a hurry try breaking down the days. Maybe a long first day, several short mile days and then another long day. It took hubby and I 8 days to do 1600 miles...somedays were 300 miles others as little as 0 - 100 miles.[*]Try to take side trips. It helps keep you sane....Hubby and I take a map and often take a side road "just because" or see a "Scenic route" that goes off the main road and abruptly turn....we have found some pretty cool stuff that way. We always schedule extra time for these adventures.[*]Be sure you are prepared for the weather....the south is pretty warm even in the winter but rain/ice and sub-normal temps are known to happen. Hubby and I were in very cold and rain/snow weather (20 to 60 degrees)during a week that is usually 80 - 90 degrees on our last trip. Hubby always scoffs at taking the extra clothing but it was a good thing we did!
[/ol]

Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Storm_law
Advanced

Make sure you have some good riding gear, i.e., leathers, helmet, boots, ear plugs. Do a safety check on your bike to make sure nothing is loose, and that all fluids are ok. Drink plenty of water. Do not rush. It is not where you are going that matters it is the ride that counts! Stop every 100-120 miles or so for a breather, to get some coffee, have a smoke,and to rejuvinate. Don't drink and ride! You will be fine.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Break up the ride a little....there is allot to see in between.

It is 4 hours from Savannah, GA to Daytona Beach, FL......
then 6 1/2 hours from Daytona to Key West. I don't know where you are in NC,
but the other times are fairly accurate.
I rode down and stayed at Marathon FL (a town just before you get to '7 mile bridge').
For me, riding 6 hours is no problem...my G/friend is not so able.
But as has been said.....if you are not enjoying the ride, you will be on a miserable vacation and Key West is far from a miserable place!!! Take your time.....Key West will be there when you get there.

Chuck

Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I do to "force" myself to take a break when we're riding two up. I have to stop for fill-ups at around 140 miles or so. I plan a quick five minute stretch stop half way in between at around 70 to 75 miles. Gassing up is "pit stop" time, maybe ten minutes. The quick stop in between fill ups doesn't take that long and it helps fight fatigue and numb butt. After a day's riding, you may feel like you can just take a break at fill ups. You're not riding an iron butt so go your own pace but NC to Key West in two days sounds like you can't dilly-dally too much.

Oh, and get an early start and plan on going more than half way on the first day.

Ride safe and happy trails!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad always says if you are taking a girl for the first time on a long trip to be sure to bring extra money for bus fare... Come to think of it, he always says bring extra money for bus fare - in case the bitchin' starts...

Quick Reply: Preparing for long distance ride?