Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for long distance ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 09:16 AM
choochoo
Banned
Default RE: Preparing for long distance ride?

Well how good is your seat for long rides. Butt gets sore time to get off. How many miles is your trip for those of us not in that area?
Would practice longer runs if you can.
You will average about 150 miles between fuel stops. While there take a few minutes to just relax. coffee snack whatever.
Don't pack more than the essential. diferent people different essentials.
It's 500 miles from here to my dad's house outside of Omaha. I make it in about 12 hours with time zone change.
If staying the weekend I bring socks, undies, a change of jeans and shirt. toothbrush paste and razor. They have towels and such. I do church in my jeans.

If camping someplace or a week or longer I adjust as needed.

Old 12-10-2007 | 09:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

DG: Did a trip to Key West last year at this time with my then girl friend who was retired and logged lots of miles on her Road King Classic. We comfortably rode 660 miles the first day from north metro Atlanta to Naples and about the same coming back. We simply rode segments of 125-150 miles, stopped for gas, some water, etc. As others have said, take a look at the IBA website, take some aspirin and stay hydrated. If you don't already have cruise control, you'll really appreciate it on a trip like this if you plan to ride the superslab primarily.

Edit: If you haven't done so already,put a taller windshield onyour SG; I use an inexpensive dark smoked 8" screen from Americanthunder, puchased on Ebay for ~$25; the 4" stock height SG providesvery little protection from wind buffeting--depending on your height (I'm 6'1") you may be more comfortable with a 6". And pack in such a way that your rain gear is easy to get to. I have some fairly heavy duty HD Gore-Texrain pants that I put on when starting out and use them as a riding pant--excellent wind protection (no fairing lowers on my EG, not hot in the fall and winter riding seasons, and don't have to struggle to put on if it starts to rain during the day.

Old 12-10-2007 | 09:52 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain

For sure take a small amount of pain reliever during the day. Also, dress comfortably for long rides....no tight clothes, jeans especially. Also, a little thing I dois not to wear jocky shorts type underwear....instead I wear long bike shorts that keep me more comfortable and improve circulation. Riding a long distance is not a challenge, it should be fun. Stop at the first sign of fatigue and rest as needed. I'd advise to always get an early start riding between 500 and 600 miles per day. I've ridden 750 per day 4 times and I swear I'll never go that far again. Some good tunes CD/radio/Ipod/MP3, cruise control and windshieldare always helpful for passing time and long day fatigue as well. Remeber the joy is in the ride......

Old 12-10-2007 | 09:59 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master

A lot of good advice already!! I'll add that you remember it is all about the ride not the destination.

I rode from VA to CA and back this past May and we averaged about 400-500 miles a day.

We would stop about every 100-125 miles and gas up and drink lots of water especially when crossing the desert. But the best way is to just enjoy the ride and stop when you want and go went you want, if your taking a whole week you have plenty of time to enjoy the destination when you get there don't wear yourself out on the way down.

Have a great time and ride safe!!!

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:04 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

Never thought about the pain reliever, great idea. Cruise control is a big help, along with a good seat and good tunes. I use a sheepskin covered gel pad, along with my Mustang seat and it really makes a difference. Good tunes really help pass the time.

No need to push it too hard. When you get tired, take a break. I did 3000 miles in 8 days this fall and had a great time. Key West is a great place to ride. HAVE FUN!!

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:08 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: js124

I'm in asheboro ,nc . I'm leaving in two days for key west . It is 1000 miles one way . we are planning on a 700 mile first day then roll in the second day . I haven't been on a trip that long either.
Man, we ride to Ashboro on 42 highway all the time, beautiful road. Then down around Seagroves and stop in at ***'s HD to blow some cash. Have a safe trip.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45502/1BADCF6A5E9643079A1BC72EB9A9D9DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:20 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

Plenty of water, cruise control, good seat. Not sure how the non jockey would be applicable to you!! But definately loose clothing. 500 mile days should be no problem. Remember to take your time and just enjoy the ride. Who cares if you do 200 miles one day and 400 a different day. It is all about ENJOYMENT.

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:46 AM
Lucky_one2
Tourer

Some good information posted (water, pain killers, and rest), I have found on long rides that I make good progress on day one... not sure if it is the excitement, anticipation, previous lack of exposure to the elements. On day two it is a different story... normally significantly more difficult for me. After day two, I'm good to go... go figure?

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:08 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior

As much as I like my morning coffee I try to avoid it when planning long rides, or at least cut it back to just cup. Its causes me too many bathroom stops and actually makes you colder if you are riding in cool and/or wet conditions. The undies thing is amazing....a few years ago the wife bought me some of the silky type boxers partly because I had heard a recommendation from someone that they help make sitting in the saddle all day a little easier. Actually I don't like to wear them on a daily basis, but I have a few pair of silky boxers that I keep just for riding....(dang...can't believe I'm admitting that here). I've done 400-600 mile days frequently and have even gone over 900 in a day, but was really exhausted at the end of that one.

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:53 AM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

I think you need to get ready by doing some hardcore training, preferably in a montage set to music. (kind of like in Rocky or a kung fu movie) You can start by pumping up the air shocks in your bike as high as they go and riding around with no seat. This will of course toughen up your butt. Next, get one of those big industrial strength shop fans and stand like 2 inches in front of it for eight hours while someone throws sand at you. Wear goggles for this excercise. This is intended to make your skin tough enough to handle all of the wind and bugs you will encounter. Finally, drink lots of water while watching Titanic or some other really long movie, preferably also involving lots of rushing water scenes and you are not allowed to go to the bathroom until the end credits are over. Obviously this will strengthen your bladder so the people you are riding with won't be complaining about how women have to stop every five miles for a potty break. Once you have completed this training course, your ride will be a breeze.

Ride safe and have fun.

Quick Reply: Preparing for long distance ride?