Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am sensing a starter problem creaping up on me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Big Hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am sensing a starter problem creaping up on me.

I have a 98 RK Police with a 1340 EVO engine.and when I first start it, it starts perfect. After I go around town and I stop to put gas or something, when I try to start it again sometimes I hear like metal hits metal real loud and I have to let go of the switch. When I try again it engages normally. This only happens sometimes and it's starting to concern me. The started seems to crank strong. Only sometimes it does this and then like I said on the next try it cranks fine. Any suggestions or help diagnosing this. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I am sensing a starter problem creaping up on me.

How old is your battery? check the cranking voltage first then your ground to the starter.. If all is OK then you might be headed to starter city..

Old 12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Big Hog
Cruiser

Battery cranks good even in cold weather. The loud metal to metal sound is what's puzzling me. Could it be missing some teeth on the gears?

Old 12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

From your discription it sounds like the drive assembly in the starter has had it. When you are in the weak part of the drive it will just spin. Once you stop it the drive will be in a different spot allowing it to engage normally. Sounds like it is time for a starter.If the battery or cables were weak it would not start normal the next try.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Had the same thing with previous bike. lasted a long time like that. got a lot of stores on why and even one storey about hd changed something in the 90's? It was a little embarressing but never left me sittin.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

time for a starter you could risk it but one day on that long trip from home when you go to filler up it might not spin

Old 12-09-2007, 06:49 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet its your starter drive,,, they go often
some bikes never some bikes 4-5 times,,
mine went at 15,000 on my 03 dyna
$300 at a dealer, back on the road

Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

ok, I thought you was going to say you had an 07.... I heard from a tech (Phil was there also) saying something about a tech note to add compression releases to help with starting. Its a bandaid for the poor starter design.....

Old 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well first as above.
double check the cranking voltage and amps of the battery and the cable at both ends.
If good then procceed to this. Put bike on a jack or lift straight up and down.
drain primary and remove cover.
Inspect the driven teeth on clutch assembly for wear, chips etc. Replace if damaged.
If not
Look at pinion gear teeth on starter jack shaft.
Remove it and then the starter.
Take it to auto parts store and have tested looking for drag (slow cranking) excess current draw etc.
Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, open the starter, clean the commutator ( where brushes ride) little emery cloth works good.
In between the bronze / brass/ copper pieces of the commutator are insulating strips.
Gently shave them down a little below the surface.
Look at the brushes if dished badly from wear, but still a lot of material left, use a small file to remove some of the deep arcing so they are more flat.
Use some lectromotive to clean every thing, put a dab of grease in the end bushing / bearing and reassemble.
It may work good or not depending.
But the most this will cost you is a gasket and some oil and time.
You can get a new starter jack shaft (pinion gear assembly) without buying the whole starter.
works like the bendix drive in your car.
If cleaning don't work you're looking $300 + for a new one.
I would go after market not HD though.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 PM
smoke56
2nd Gear

Hey I am having something of the same nature happen' with my bike, I got a 92 Ultra with a 100" revtech, screamin' eagle ignition, kerker pipes, dynos @102 hp, a bad *** when it is running right! 2 problems, 1. can't get the 42 mm mikuni carb right, keeps fouling plugs, due to too rich fuel, I believe on this I am goona have to pull the carb off and lower the main jet, it has notches to set its flow. proble 2 is now the starter that use to drag a little due to the 10.2:1 compression, now wants to turn real slow, the starter clutch went out a couple weeks ago, replaced that all was fine for @ 5 DAYS, then the cold morning took its toll and I figured the battery was shot, bought a elcheapo at the parts place @ $60 had to put the acid in and charge it, still would not start, turned real slow, thought the starter had a shorted field, took iy off again and took it to a rebuild place, they said it was all good, brushes included looked good. so back on the bike, the battery charged, it started, next day, when I hit the starter the voltage shows it drops down then never goes back up to over 11 volts, do ya think it is a bad battery or just don't have enough cranking amps (***) to roll that big bastard motor over. Anybody have this problem, anybody know of problems with the Revtech and stock harley starters?

Quick Reply: I am sensing a starter problem creaping up on me.