Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between Police models and stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:37 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differences between Police models and stock

Out of morbid curiosity, I was checking out the specs on Harley's police FLHTPI and FLHPI. I see the obvious differences between these models and stock models (upgraded electrical system, LEO lights, saddle bags, seats, etc.) But what I'm wondering is if there is any differences between the actual engine, tranny, frame and suspension? Or, are those components the same ones used on the stock Electra Glide and Road King?

Old 12-31-2005, 12:06 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Differences between Police models and stock

My friend has a police model , He is saying it's a 95 cubic in.My first Harley 2000 road glide bagger .I was looking at a new Ultra but this 95 cubic Road Glide got me first 43 K miles 'but a local harley mechanie did all the up grade and changed out the cam chain adj he said it was just starting to wear .If you know the owener and bike jump on a used one well broke in .It will run down any bagger around here.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/33D5224CDE82464C830817FD7C789C9A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2005, 05:12 PM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe all the Police bikes also have anti-lock brakes.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:27 PM
coolharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good question, that I cannot definitively answer, and I have a '04 Police Electra Glide.

Here is what I think, however: The police bikes have beefed up electrical systems, the hockey puck saddlebag ***** (which are WAY better than stock), the solo seat, special tires that can run flat w/o coming off the bead (only made for 1 rider) (which, incidentially, works because I rode with a rear flat), different lower half switch housings with the siren controls, etc., lower guages left blank in the inner fairing (i.e. no oil temp / air temp guages), and that's about all I can tell.

The engines are still stock 88" twin cam. Brakes can come anti-lock, but I believe that's optional. I saw a previous thread a while ago, mentioning something about Police bikes having only the best engine parts (i.e. best mfg. tolerances??), but I would have to see some corroboration on this before I believed it.

I suppose I could Dyno my bike, before I put any mods into the engine, to see if she hits the same stock figures for HP and torque. It does run pretty damn well, with stock parts (except Samson slip on's), but my last bike was a beefed up Night Train, so I have no basis for comparison on baggers. My father has a Road King, but again, its a souped up 103" Stroker.

I am curious to hear any other insight??

Old 12-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Actually, Harley just started testing the anti-lock brakes last year with the California Highway Patrol. They have not come out with these as standare equipment on standard police bikes yet. The motors are not 95 ci unless the dept. special orders them. The only difference is the saddlebags, lights and seat. I kept are departmen's bike in my garage for the winter 2 yrs ago and went over it very carefully. Bying a used police bike seems to be the way to go for saving money and getting a bike that you can customize to your liking.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-31-2005, 07:45 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

If you are talking about the police bikes HD sells to Law Enforcement agencies, I believe they are different. Much like the cars -cages Ford / Chevy sells to the police. They, the cars, have a police package which normally includes upgraded motors, suspension etc.

I assume this is similar for HD. There is an upgraded braking system, the electrical has to be beefed up because of the accessories the police run - radio, siren, pa, etc etc.

The special edition bikes for police and fire I believe are the same as a regular bike except for the badging and decals. The price is different too, usually about 1-2k less. You have to be a current or retried policeman or firefighter. The price is lower probably because HD wont ship the bike with a bunch of add ons from the factory.

If you look at their website, they now offer special edition bikes which include Fatboys, E-glides, as well as RK. You can chosse between two colors now as well Blue or Black. These bikes will all be TC88B as delivered.

HTRAUD

Old 12-31-2005, 07:47 PM
coolharley
Cruiser

Teryt is right on that: You can get sweet deals on Police bikes, and you've got a great platform from which to customize all you want.

I got my bike for $14,999 with a little over 1,000 miles, put a few trinkets on it like pipes, low profile wind deflector, smoked lenses, fairing mount mirrors, road glide seat, passenger pegs, highway pegs, grips, guage chrome trim, headlight and turn signal chrome trim, and some other minor items, and I love it. I took off the front fender trim, and the saddlebag guards, for a nice clean look. (then Harley copied me with the Street Glide)

Terryt, did you notice if the Police bike has a harness for intalling a stereo, like the stock FLHT does??

Old 12-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Coolharley,

I did not notice the harness but have heard that everything is already there to install the radio if you want. The hd standard is the same way I believe.

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 12-31-2005, 08:09 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/m_116847/tm.htm

Old 12-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Thanks TC,

I forgot about that post and the gearing difference. My buddy has a used Police Roadglide and I noticed that it ran really good. I could never figure out what the difference was. It has to be the gearing in the tranny. It runs like a 95 ci but it's only an 88.

Damn, TC got me again[:@]

[sm=biker2.gif]

Quick Reply: Differences between Police models and stock