Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 Mile Service Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 AM
rsofa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1000 Mile Service Experience

Boy this isn't sounding good I was told they needed to do the 1000 mile for warranty purposes so far I'm at 625....
While on a ride recently my buddy was behind me and said my rear wheel had a very small wobble like the spokes may need adjusting...
Crap hope the dealer is up to this...

Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Is there ANYONE awake at the MoCo's customer service dept?? do they even really have one?? or are all this funky surveys I keep getting just another ploy!!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

One thing to bear in mind, is you only hear the horror stories, but there are plenty of good experiences that go unreported. The good is probably the norm or they couldn't stay in business, they'd be spending all their time in court and wouldn't sell any bikes.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 AM
HOGNUTZ
Cruiser

Had my 1000 miles service done at the local dealer. I was sceptically about it. I had heard several stories about them. I dropped it of the night before the service andthey calledat 11:00pm the next day. My bill was $247.85 w/ synthetic. My bill breaks down to be

17369-06 gasket service kit $2.80
63798-99aoil filter chrome$13.95
99824-03/00QT SYN LUB QTY 6 @ $9.95$59.70
Labor2.50 hrs @ $65.00 $162.50
Shop Supplies $3.50
Tax $5.40

I have had no problems with the bike after the service. I have around 3500 miles on it since the service. I plan on get a manual and doing everything I can myself.

A guy I ride with had to have warranty work done. It was leaking fork fluid. He took it to the dealer he bought from(different dealer where I had my service) It was the plug at the top of the fork tube. It had backed out some. While it was there he had his 1000 mile service done.(included with purchase of bike) We went to pick it up. The bike had fork oil all over the front and also had oily fingerprint all over it. He was not happy. I thought the was some BS.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Rabid
Cruiser

I don't trust the service manager, so I've gone out of the way to be friendly with the techs. This past summer before heading out on a 4 day trip, took it in for oil change, tech found a problem. He was considering pulling the plate on it, but the service manager didn't bother to tell me that. I only noticed because it was written on the tech's report which was on the counter being transcribed in a bill to give to me.
I picked it up, read the report, asked why the repair wasn't being done (under warrantty), the service manager says" it's not that serious, see it before, likely not to happen on your trip, you have a warranty, anything happens, the nearest dealer will fix it. Besides, no time left in the day to do the repair."
Very calmly, told the service manager that it is only Tuesday, leave Sat. morning, find the time! By the way, is so and so around, (one of the owners), I need to comfirm something about the trip.( he was leading the trip). He wasn't happy, but the bike was ready Thursday. I couldn't believe he was going to let me leave on a potentially dangerous bike, on a trip. Later the tech came out while I was mounting up, said that ws the right way to handle it, it seems the manager loves to have yelling matches to justify the poor service. The tech said the manager only cares about the time schedules, max profit.
Now only that tech sees my bike and my friends bikes, specify that he is the only one to work on them, and if that tech leaves that 15 bikes go with him..

Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Jsans
Tourer

ORIGINAL: GreyGhost

One thing to bear in mind, is you only hear the horror stories, but there are plenty of good experiences that go unreported. The good is probably the norm or they couldn't stay in business, they'd be spending all their time in court and wouldn't sell any bikes.
Grey,

That is true, but part of providing "good" service is providing "consistent" service.

In this situation, it is basic fundamentals that were flawed. Everyone makes mistakes, and there are opportunities to make up for mistakes.

What happened at this dealer depicts a much greater problem with their philosophy, incorrect procedure, and lack of professionalism.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Jsans
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HOGNUTZ

Had my 1000 miles service done at the local dealer. I was sceptically about it. I had heard several stories about them. I dropped it of the night before the service andthey calledat 11:00pm the next day. My bill was $247.85 w/ synthetic. My bill breaks down to be

17369-06 gasket service kit $2.80
63798-99aoil filter chrome$13.95
99824-03/00QT SYN LUB QTY 6 @ $9.95$59.70
Labor2.50 hrs @ $65.00 $162.50
Shop Supplies $3.50
Tax $5.40

I have had no problems with the bike after the service. I have around 3500 miles on it since the service. I plan on get a manual and doing everything I can myself.

A guy I ride with had to have warranty work done. It was leaking fork fluid. He took it to the dealer he bought from(different dealer where I had my service) It was the plug at the top of the fork tube. It had backed out some. While it was there he had his 1000 mile service done.(included with purchase of bike) We went to pick it up. The bike had fork oil all over the front and also had oily fingerprint all over it. He was not happy. I thought the was some BS.
Wish I woud have gotten a breakdown like you did, Hog.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't matter if it's a "certified" tech, indy, what ever, this sort of thing shouldn't happen, there is a dealer about 30 miles from me, i think the service mang is a good guy, and takes care of things. There is a indy here in town, the mechanic and i get along really well, he's pretty sharp, and does a pretty good job. BUT, do yourself a favor, get a manual or TWO of them different brands, Harley, and Clymer, do the service, and some of theeasier work yourslef, you'll be glad you did. the advantage there, YOU'LL start paying more attention to detail on your bike.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I believe Harley has lost there focus now it's coming back to bite them in the azz. Bikes not selling, constant complaints from customers about dealers, dealer having to build million dollar buildings. Where do you think these dealers are saving money, using less experienced sales staff and service department staff.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 PM
roadieboy
Intermediate

Jsans, Sorry that you had such a lousy experience and I hope that it's more of the exception than the rule. I am one of the lucky ones that has an excellent dealer service department nearby. Right after I bought the bike, I went to have the bike lowered front and back as well as a chrome front end added. I was quoted 425.00 labor plus parts for the job. Came back the next day to pick up the bike and was told that the labor had been reduced to 225.00 due to the fact that the technician found 2 small drops of fork oil in the top of the fork tube so they turned that part of the job into a warranty issue. They didn't have to do that as I would have never known. Everytime I talk to the service writers or the service manager about anything, they are honest and upfront with me and no, I don't work at the dealership or know anyone other than the salesman who sold me both of my bikes. Sounds like my dealership is the exception to the rule....