Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIP tour pak

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:10 PM
mwike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIP tour pak

Well I went ahead & bought the VIP tour pak off ebay for $99 and got the top rack for $58 for my new electra glide. I used the HD detachable mounting rack & kit - this cost about $200. I bought about $5 worth of bolts & rubber washers to assist in mounting. The tour pak is definately not HD quality. Paint had some markings on it that look like someone placed paper on it before the paint was completely dry. The lid doesn't latch as securely as the HD & top rack is not the best quality. However, with all this said I'm glad to have made the purchase. It looks good on the bike as long as you don't get too close to look at the paint & easily saved me at least $600 as compared to the HD tour pack and top rack. In addition, the wifey is satisfied with the seat pad.

I just wanted to post this to help others who may be interested. I will only have the tour pak on the bike for about 3 weeks out of the year so I'm satisfied. If I were planning on leaving it on much more often, I'd get the HD. I can still upgrade to the HD tour pak if my riding habits change & only be out $160.

Old 12-31-2005, 09:40 AM
spartns
Road Master
Default RE: VIP tour pak

I've seen that product on E-bay. Post some pics. Did you get your brackets on E-bay? And, I'd have to paint it if I got one, so I could improve the quality.

Chris

Old 12-31-2005, 12:18 PM
mwike
Cruiser

I'll get some pics posted. I bought the HD quick release docking hardware & the HD mounting rack from my HD dealer. I think that's the only way to go to get the quick release feature. Then I simply bolted the tour pak to the mounting rack using some rubber washers to help with any vibration through the pak to the passenger backrest. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't put a lot of additional $'s into this product with painting. If you are looking for top quality, don't go this route. If you want to same some $'s for something that is rarely used, I think this is an option worth looking into.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:35 PM
mwike
Cruiser
Old 12-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From the photos, it looks great.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:35 PM
mwike
Cruiser

Maybe the pak looks better than I thought. I just had the dealer do the 1,000 mile (I mean the 1,500 mile) service & everyone at the shop wanted to know where I got the pak. They couldn't believe it was a $100 ebay special.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:28 PM
jkirisits
Road Captain

do you think it uses the same hardware as the quick release back rest?

Old 03-26-2006, 11:54 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

Photos look good. Quite a savings

Old 03-26-2006, 11:56 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,728 Likes on 1,259 Posts

I have one too and I am happy with the quality for the price....Hmmmm a thousand dollares for the Harley one or $200 dollars for the VIP? What should a person do.....It only goes on for trips.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:58 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,728 Likes on 1,259 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkirisits

do you think it uses the same hardware as the quick release back rest?
I mounted on the Harley quick release rack using docking kit that fitts other add on's. I even bought both the solo rack and the 2 up rack and can use with a passenger or not.

Quick Reply: VIP tour pak