Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding ridiculously bright lights to 04 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Adding ridiculously bright lights to 04 RKC

I’ve searched through past threads, but did not find what I’m looking for. Sorry in advance if I’m asking a question that’s been answered before.

I have a 2004 Road King Custom. I’m moving to a situation that involves a lot of night riding on dark highways and rural two-lanes with trees overhanging. I’m trying to throw more light farther out in front of the bike.

I considered the H-D HID headlamp, but it was $525 for the unit and the service mgr saidthe HIDs were hinky– so with a dealer installation of the wiring and ballast it came to over $800. Seemed excessive.

I went with the 2-bulb Halogen headlamp ($169) with a 55 watt PIAA H11[/b] Xtreme White Plus bulb ($44.99) for the low beam. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Took it out on a dark night and was not impressed – this combo (with high beam on) didn’t throw the light nearly as far out front as I thought it would.

I’m not sure which way to go next.

Options include going with the HID headlamp afterall, or trying to add passing lamps with something like the Silverstar Ultra bulbs in them, or something else I haven’t figured out yet. I’m told that passing lamps may make the bike more visible, but they don’t generally throw a more noticeable amount of light out front.

I’m looking for something ridiculously bright and blue white, and don’t know what the best option would be.

Do you guys have any advice regarding which headlamp/foglamp/passing lamp/bulb combinations would give me the brightest options? Will a 100 watt bulb work in either the halogen headlamp or the two passing lamps?

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Regards,

Doc

Old 12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Adding ridiculously bright lights to 04 RKC

Update the 55 W low beam in the dual halagon to a PIAA 85 W

Difference is literally "night and day".

If that does not work get in touch with Daniel Stern Lighting and get his Marchael Upgrade.

Light is $229, bulbs are $50.

Great ***** of light

Old 12-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks dude. I'll check that out immediately.

Doc

Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

A for real Hi/Lo HID for $234.00 HERE

Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KURY HID LIGHT.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:00 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you would like a pencil type high beam. Adding to the low beam won't make a difference. The optics on the dual beam (conventional or HID) HD unit are very good if aimed properly. The high beam is only a 35 watt H8 and can be upgraded to either a 55 watt H11 with minor mods to the bulb or try a 35 watt H8 HID conversion. It will reflect signs at a mile and lights up the road for a long way. Use the 6000k for best visibility or 8000k for the blue look.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc Intrepid

Do you guys have any advice regarding which headlamp/foglamp/passing lamp/bulb combinations would give me the brightest options? Will a 100 watt bulb work in either the halogen headlamp or the two passing lamps?
I'm running an 85/100w headlight bulb, no passing lamps, and the output for me is quite good. Ran these bulbs in my old RK for nine years and only had trouble when I replaced the sealed-beam passing lamps from 25w to 37.5w halogen, at which time the breaker would overload. I then rigged it up with a relay and had no further problems.

I've been thinking about buying the passing lamp kit and mounting similar lamps as before, which were pencil-beam that you could aim directly down the road without too much protest from oncoming traffic. They were so directional that they cut off before eye level with oncoming cars. These were bought from Custom Chrome and cost only $10-15 each, IIRC. However, instead of wiring them to work with low-beams, rig a relay and use the high-beams to trigger the passing lamps. Or, don't rig them up to trigger with either high- or low-beam, but mount an accessory switch on the handlebar so it could be switched easily without taking your hands off the handlebars.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caliper mounted MotoLights.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:18 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2002 RK came with the HID - Nice but not worth the money.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:34 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I run a 130/90 headlightin my Sporty. It does the job.

On my RKC, for "ridiculously" bright lights I ran 100 watt aircraft running lights for a while instead of the 30 watt stockers. They are waaayyybright, but are also very intense because they have clear lenses, unlike the stockers with fluted lenses. They were too bright and would blind people a mile away. I swapped them for 30 watt bulbs with the same unfluted lenses. They are also very bright and sometimes seem to bother people on two lane roads, but at least they see me coming.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/9B73FC166E774DF6B570D6765E115A88.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Adding ridiculously bright lights to 04 RKC