Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 AM
mooks005
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley HID Headlight

Has anyone tried the Harley HID Xenon headlight. My stock headlight on my Street Glide is not bright enough, but I am wondering if the HID makes $525 worth of difference. Would appreciate input or suggestions on alternatives.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:09 PM
zopi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Harley HID Headlight

haven't tried it, but I have studied them..IMO there is not enough differentce between teh HID light and teh Dual Filamrnt HAlogen light to warrant spending
400 extra dollars for a very few extra yards of high beam..I'd go with the Dual filament...

Old 12-30-2005, 12:31 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the dual bulb from harley. It is better than stock by far.
HD part #67864-04

Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 PM
FXDWG3
Cruiser

What is a dual bulb? I assume you'r not talking about a standard High/Low 65/55 watt bulb.

One thing I noticed is that the Harley bulbs must be ruggedized. I had a un-heard of name brand that only lasted three days.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
FXDWG3
Cruiser

I found it...

Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

The Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp features advanced reflector optics and separate bulbs for high and low beam functions. The euro-inspired projector beam styling combines a state-of-the-art look with a CAD designed faceted reflector bowl that is optimized for crisp patterns and light cut-off. The single upper bulb functions in low beam, and both upper and lower bulb operate in high beam. The low beam setting produces a wide curb-to-curb light pattern, and the high beam adds focused light down the center of the lane without compromising width. Kit includes housing, 55 watt low beam halogen lamp, 35 watt high beam halogen lamp and all necessary mounting hardware. Does not meet ECE regulations.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mooks005

Has anyone tried the Harley HID Xenon headlight. My stock headlight on my Street Glide is not bright enough, but I am wondering if the HID makes $525 worth of difference. Would appreciate input or suggestions on alternatives.

I'm in the fortunate (?) position of being able to try a lot of new products from the MOCO, and the industry at large.
I installed the H-D HID headlight on my '05 FLHTCI as soon as they were available. I've had it on the bike for several months now.

The unit is very well designed, using quality components (Sylvania/Osram). It fits and installs perfectly, just like it was stock.
It is very bright, with a useful spread of low-beam light. The light color is intensely white. Previously, I had installed the H-D "Dual Bulb" headlight. It looks similar to the HID unit, but it is no match for beam width and brightness of the HID.

The unit's high beam is *not* HID, but a separate Halogen bulb with a projector-type lens/reflector. The unit is designed to have the HID main beam stay on when the high beam is on. Combined, there is a good throw of light down the road and to the sides when on high beam.

There are quite a "aftermarket" HID kits now appearing for m/c use. I've seen a few of them and most are pretty close to junk. I doubt they will have the reliabilty or performance of the H-D unit. There are also some Xenon-filled halogen bulbs (Silverstar, etc.) on the market that attempt to give HID performance. While better than straight halogen bulbs, they do not get close to real HID.

Expensive? Depends on your point of view, and how much you feel you need good lighting on your bike.
As someone who is actually using the product, I can say it was worth every penny.

BTW....if you can take off your outer fairing and read the excellent instructions, it's an easy self-install.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:03 PM
mooks005
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give it a try.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback as I have been thinking about HID myself. I love the bright WHITE look not the yellow or CHEAP blue xenon that most bulbs are.

I can say the Silverstars are a great bulb for the money if people don't wanna spend it fro true HID. I run them in my sportbike and they are a nite/day difference.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand the HD ,light is not worth the money. I use a 80/100 watt direct replacement halogen bulb, and it works great. Cost only $10 at autozone, mounts right in. I also use the HD 35 watt halogen driving lights. What a difference! Never had a problem of other cars "flashing" me because the excessive light. I have used this bulb on all my bikes for years. It does not run too hot even when left on high beam for extended periods of time, or draw excesive power. Make sure your light(s) are properly adjusted. You can do that yourself.

Steve

Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did the add on of the HID to my RK. Love it. Have wanted to put aircraft HID's on the sides too in place of the passing spots. Then we'd be talking!

Quick Reply: Harley HID Headlight