Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley HID Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Harley HID Headlight

You are cleared to land!

Old 12-30-2005, 04:36 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

YOU CAN BUY THE ZENON BULB FOR ABOUT 20.00 EACH. I USE IT AND AM VERY PLEASED. A FRIEND OF MINE HAS THE 500.00 JOB AND GETS NO MORE OUTPIT THAN I DO. IF YOU LIKE THE LOOKS WHICH I DONT MAYBE IT IS WORTH ANOTHER 460.00

Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Sooee

You are cleared to land!
Land? Land --- who wants to LAND?

I want to Take - OFF

http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/hid_options.html

These are the take-off lights! Enjoy

Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used HID on my BMW RT and was pleased with its performance. However, I got a lot of flashing oncoming traffic through the years. Bear in mind that stock HID lights have reflectors that are designed specifically for the particular bulb that'll be used. Standard reflectors aren't meant for HID units and may actually be a hazard to oncoming traffic at night. I avoid driving after dark and never had much of a problem - I'd advise against HID if you're planning a lot of night use. I have HID in my current car ('04 Acura TL) and there's a really sharp cutoff for the low beam to make it safe. High beam is spectacular - low beam is just so-so. As for super high wattage halogen replacements, beware of over-taxing your stock wiring. 55 watts pulls about 4 amps - 100 watts nearly doubles that. Also, the heat generated by the bulb may distort the plastic used in the reflector.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Crazie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all.

I am thinking about putting the HID headlight on my '06 SE Ultra Clssic. To be blunt, the factory lighting sucks. I like to ride with a headlight modulator though. Does anyone know if the HID will work with a modulator?

Old 01-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member

Have not heard of anyone trying that, but I am picking that it is not compatible as the HID requires a 30,000 kick from the starter to get it going and that may interfere with the modulator.

Having said that, I understand that the low beam is HID and the high beam is Halogen - correct? If that is the case, then the modulator should work as normal on the high beam connection.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

Thanks for the input, Sooee. You have pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

I believe that both the high and low beam are HID. Here is the description of the unit:

This kit features a true HID (Xenon) low beam bulb that projects a curb-to-curb spread of "blue/white" light. Compared to the yellow light of a traditional Halogen bulb, the HID lamp produces a "Daylight Color Impression" that appears more natural. Also features advanced optics with separate low and high beam reflectors dedicated to focus the light for optimal illumination. The HID low beam is always illuminated, providing a wide pool of light, and the separate high beam bulb adds a focused shaft of light down the center of the lane. The bulb is a complex tube that replaces the filament with arc-producing electrodes. The starter allows quick ignition of the arc, and the ballast converts incoming power to the high voltage needed to maintain the glow. The HID bulb has a life expectancy of up to 10 times that of a Halogen bulb. Includes the HID bulb, electronic starter, waterproof ballast system, shock and vibration resistant housing, and all necessary wiring.
So I guess I'm out of luck. Maybe I'll try swapping out the bulb as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:43 PM
harleybob
Cruiser

I installed the piaa H4. Looks nice. Very white with a tint of blue. Make sure you get the anti vibration. A buudy of mine bought the automotive bulb. 3 months later it shook apart. Bob.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

Thanks, Bob.

Would this be what you installed (or what I want)?

Bulb Type - H4 Anti-Vibration
Color Temp - 4000 Kelvin
Wattage - 60W/55W = 110W/100W
Technology - Xtreme White with Xtra Technology

The SE has seperate high and low beam bulbs. Did you also change your low beam?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:57 PM
harleybob
Cruiser

Crazie I am not sure about the SE. I have a05 EG. That is the H4. One bulb. The high low is in the same bulb.I hope this helps. Bob.

Quick Reply: Harley HID Headlight