Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 AM
mike280
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?

I am planning a trip on the Ultra 07 in the middle of 08 to the Badlands. I plan on trailering to Kewanee, Il and riding the 850 miles. I will be riding with the wife, so that is why we are trailering to Illinois. She likes to ride, but 850 vs. 1600 is well….double!

My question is there anyone who has made this trip, seen all the sights and after doing so, can recommend a good route to follow and see all the sights. Many times we do something, and afterwards, say to ourselves, “if I had to do it again…..I’d do it this way[/i].” That is what I am hoping for is that I can learn from your experience and plan the route for a wonderful trip. The sights I want to see are the normal, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills, Badlands, etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?

Devils Tower just inside Wyoming is worth the trip. Of course if you're that close, Yellowstone ain't that far.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's not a whole lot to see all the way across South Dakota. Once in the Badlands make some time to ride the southern part around Custer State Park. The Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Highway, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore all nice rides and not very far from Sturgis. Most of the gas stations and many Cafe's in the hills have scenic route maps that give a good overview of all the nice rides. I've been to Stugis 8-10 over the last 15 years and have gotten so I spend most of my time in the Southern Blackhills and only a couple days in Sturgis. After beening there a few times all the bike traffic between Sturgis and Deadwood wears on you. Even though the entire Blackhills area gets full during Bike Week, the southern end is a little less congested and in my opinion, much more scenic. If you've never been there is a great time.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did this last spring from 40 miles West of Chicago. Took rt64 in IL into Iowa. Cross the Mississippi in Savanah, IL. Beautiful small one-lane bridge crosses the Miss there. Then wandered up onto rt20 inIowa to cross Iowa to Sioux City for the night. Not a whole lot to see through the middle of the plain states. They don't call them "Plain" for nothing

Then up rt29 to Sioux Falls SD and across 90. Stop in Mitchell to see the "Corn Palace", then in Murdo to see some huge pieced together museum and have a buffalo burger. It is also a state law in SD, that all out of staters MUST stop at Wall Drugs. Then from Wall(or Cactus Flats ) take 240 to rt44 through the Badlands, a MUST SEE. Once in the Black Hills, must ride routes;
Custer Wildlife loop, to get to the Loop take Needles Highway
Spearfish Canyon from Deadwood/Lead
Rt 24 from Belle Fource out to Devils Tower
Iron Mtn road and I'll dig up some more

Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IRON MOUINTAIN RD IN THE BLACK HILLS AND NEEDLES HGWY(SAME HILLS) .. BUT ULL SEE THAT ONCE U GET THERE. IVE GONE BACK EVERY YEAR SINCE 1993 TO THE "SHOW" FOR BIKE WEEK. ULL WANT TO GO BACK TOO IM SURE. A TRIP ULL NOT FORGET ..

Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We trailered from VA in 2005. Stayed near St Louis the first night so we could go up in the Arch the next day. Wentup 29 to Sioux Falls and 90 across SD. Definitely see the Corn Palace. Stop at Wall Drug-didn't take us long there-big store that sells EVERYTHING. Badlands and Custer State Park are great. We stayed in Keystone SD.We could see Mt Rushmore from our porch. Rode into WY to see Devils Tower one day. Took Helicoper ride over Crazy Horse. Too much to see-not enough time. Wish we had went to Spearfish-didn't have time.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:06 AM
RKC2001
Cruiser

We've done it twice from Baltimore and I'd suggest staying in Rapid City and using there as a base of operations. All of the sites are within a few hours ride from there. We did a day at each which worked out good, you don't feel worn out afterwards. You've named most of the sites I know but don't forget Deadwood, Wall Drug, and Sturgis.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
beemer737
Tourer

I would say most bang for buck, trailer to Wall SD, then ride through Badlands, Sturgis, Yellowstone. You will see NOTHING between Soiux Falls and Wall excpet a creek (missouri river) and bugs...

If your into trailering...

Ifound it just as easy, and more funto ride...

Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
bigirn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you go to the devils tower go on a wensday .take rt. 24 that will take you toHulet WY.they have a pig roast there were the hole town gets envoled. from there youll make a loop past the devils tower then on to Sundance WY. to the Dime horse saloon then stop in Buelah WY. good days ride with plenty of action.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) If you can go the week before Bike Week and just the first weekend, do it. Less traffic, can see more, prices didn't go up yet and still alot of people.
2) Stay the night in Mitchell SD, Corn Palace, Klock Werks and the best steak " Chief Lou's".
Nice one day ride to Sturgis from Mitchell.
3) Stop at Wall Drug on the way to Sturgis, Badland's entrance is there. Ride thru the Badlands, stop at the first lookout point on the right "its the best one". Don't get back on Rt90 take Rt44 into Rapid City then pickup RT 90.
4) Go into Sturgis for one night, been there get the t-shirt thing.
5) The next 4-5 day plan 100-150 loop rides, this depends were you stay.
If you go the week before, Motel rates aren't bad. I like Rapid City.
6) Ride Rt 16 to Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore Crazy Horse, Keystone and Hill City. You can take a $25 Helicopter ride to see Crazy Horse. 2 days in that area.
7) Ride Rt 90 to Spearfish Canyon into Deadwood.
8) Ride Rt 90 to Wyoming to The Devils Tower, the take Rt 24, thru Hullett to 34 back to the Sturgis area.The town of Hullett has " No Panties Wednesday" party on Wednesday on Bike Week. Free pig roast all day long.
9)The Hamsters, Arlen Ness and company, stay at the Holiday Inn in Spearfish. Stop and check out the parking lot for a great bike show.

That is a good start for your first trip . . . . . . .

Quick Reply: South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?