Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 PM
quackhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?

while in Kewanee, stop at Reimans HD. my cousin owns it and its a pretty nice shop. it has alot of race memorbilia from when Roger Reiman and his dad, Hank, raced for HD factory. they have the checkered flag fromone ofRogers 3 wins in the Daytona 200 and one of Rogers actual dirt track bikes from the 60s. they also have an old knucklehead Hank hill climbed with.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:21 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rode into Sturgis 4 times now from Alaska. After the Alaska Highway and the Northern Canadian Rockies everything else is just "nice".

As you can tell, my preference is to ride.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been to Sturgis Bike weekabout 20 plus times since 1980. Didnt go this year as Rally burn-out set in. If you like hussle and bussle and huge crowds you should surely take in the rally. If you would like like to experience the Black Hills and experience all they have to offer including the great riding and avoid paying $250+ for an otherwise $50 motel room then go before or (preferably) after the rally. All the scenic places indicated in response to this thread are great suggestions.

When I first attended the rally in 1980 it was about 50K attendance and was great for riding and a good party with no increase in prices. Since that time it has gone to the point of being ridiculous IMHO. BTW, I understand attendance was significantly off this year. No doubt in part to reasons just mentioned.

Enjoy the ride and I agree if you trailer to Kewanee you may as well go on to the Badlands. The ride across the great plains is boring except for the terror that comes with thunderstorms and high winds. I've ridden it many times but I can't say it's a particularly pleasant or scenic ride.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,897 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I've been 11 times since '86 and rode every mile (1500 one wayx 5, 1000 one way x 6). I agree with what people mention above. I got burned out on it this year myself and think I'll take a few years off. Attendance was down. I didn't see (or look for) official numbers on this year, but just from my observations, I'd say it was down 1/3rd from last year and 1/2 from the year before that. Getting ripped off at every turn is getting old, and with the economic downturn we are in, people just didn't have the money for it. While we did meet some nice people, we also met some real a-holes like the Canadians at our campground that came real close to discovering that Texas Folk carry and Canadians have to cross an international border. Then I dropped that exhaust valve guide on the way back and had to pull the head off at the motel, and my wife got a bad respiratory virus.

Anyway, if you just want to see countryside stuff, don't go during bike week. If you want to see countryside and get the whole Sturgis experience, then go during bike week and bring twice as much money. The Black Hills are beautiful, but they don't have anything on Northwest Arkansas.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not go during bike week either. I go to places to ride, not sit in traffic and bar hop. I can do all that here in Chicago. Go before or after the event for less traffic and better riding, not to mention better prices

Old 12-06-2007, 03:19 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MrHd1

Been to Sturgis Bike weekabout 20 plus times since 1980. Didnt go this year as Rally burn-out set in. If you like hussle and bussle and huge crowds you should surely take in the rally. If you would like like to experience the Black Hills and experience all they have to offer including the great riding and avoid paying $250+ for an otherwise $50 motel room then go before or (preferably) after the rally. All the scenic places indicated in response to this thread are great suggestions.

When I first attended the rally in 1980 it was about 50K attendance and was great for riding and a good party with no increase in prices. Since that time it has gone to the point of being ridiculous IMHO. BTW, I understand attendance was significantly off this year. No doubt in part to reasons just mentioned.

Enjoy the ride and I agree if you trailer to Kewanee you may as well go on to the Badlands. The ride across the great plains is boring except for the terror that comes with thunderstorms and high winds. I've ridden it many times but I can't say it's a particularly pleasant or scenic ride.
I gave Sturgis up in 1990 cause it wasn't anything like the old days. Early to mid 80's you had maybe10,000 -50,000 people. Took my wife there in 2000, She lasted 1 day in town. Too much bs for this old school hillbilly! Sturgis ain't the gig. It's the ride to and from where the fun is! Silly Biker - trailers are for horses! (This is not referring to the author of the quote)

Old 12-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Skip
Road Captain

Have been to the Black Hills a number of times but never to Sturgis during the rally. One of my sons and I rode to Wall then up to Sturgis over to deadwood and down to Custer then over through Wyoming across the Big Horns to Cody and then to Red Lodge, MT for the Beartooth Rally. Riding was great even though it was hotter than hell. If you get to Custer there is a little pizza joint just east of the traffic light that serves the best jalepeno and pepperoni pizza I've ever had.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:37 AM
truegentlemann
Cruiser
Location: i live outside Omaha Ne on the Iowa side in the Loes hills, some great places to ride

ALL GREAT ADVICE
But i would opt to stay in one of the small towns once you get tot the black hills such as Keystone or Hill City. I even prefer to stay in one of the Cabbins at one of the resorts outside town more wild life and quite.
you will not regret your choice to go
oh and i would take hwy 20 into iowa ILL has a beautiful town called Galena Ill kinda touristy but beautiful and nice windy roads to the iowa boarder
then stop at Parkersburg the little roadside local dairy queen and eat great food
oh and when you get to correctionville Ia i would eat at that local dairy place too
hope that helps

Old 12-08-2007, 08:20 AM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I was gonna suggest US 20 across Iowa myself. I take 380 up to Mason City and then 20 all the way across the state. It is mostly 4 lane now but you can still find the old route if you care to. There are a few HD dealers along the way. If you have the time stop in Anamosa and check out the J&P museum. Decent sized collection but some truly unique stuff.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 AM
debay
Tourer

when you get to south dakota -sioux falls take 44 across to the badlands was nice getting of i90 also stop here for a drink youl need it if its a hot day a make sure you fill up not many gas staions on 44

[hr]

Quick Reply: South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?