Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?

Drop down and take 44 once you get past Mitchel alot more senic than interstate

Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Nothing new to add to the above except to note that Needles Highway will take you through two single lane tunnels cut through the mountain and as you approach the tunnels' entrances you will see Mt. Rushmore in the distance framed by the tunnels' entrances--fantastic visual.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Scootr
Road Master

We stayed in Rapid City this year as well. It's a nice somewhat central location to all the great rides in the area. We spent most of our time riding the black hills to see the great roads out there and only went to Sturgis one day. Make sure you do Needles Hwy, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower (in WY), Crazy Horse and best of all just ride as much as possible! There are so many great roads to explore and so much scenery to take in. Be prepared to see and ridewith thousands of bikes everywhere you go. The roads heading into Sturgis get pretty conjested but that was expected. Have fun! Wish I was going back again this year.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

I would stay on 90 till you get to 240. Take that south and do the Badlands Loop that puts you out at Wall. I have relatives in that area that say you are likely to get rocks thrown at you driving thru the res in a nice car or bike. I've never had a problem when I've been thru there but they claim to know alot of people who have.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 PM
bobo06
Intermediate

I've gone out the last 2 years over the 4th of July. First time with some friends and this year with my wife. This year we stayed in Custer. Would stay there again next time. The fireworks off the top of Mt. Rushmore are great. Plus you can stop and take pictures without 500,000 other bikes all trying to ride the same roads.
Iron Mt. road is a must along with the rest of Custer St. Park. Stayed in Custer for 3 days.
Do Spearfish Canyon.!!
Crazy Horse
Stopped in Sturgis on the way back to Custer from Spearfish Canyon.
Went ovet to Devils Tower and then to Cody for 2 nights.
Did the Chief Joseph Hwy into the N.E. entrance to Yellowstone and then back to Cody the same way.
Didn't have time to do Beartooth Hwy. but thats an excuse to go back.
3,000 miles in 8 days and it felt good to get off the bike when we got back to Iowa.
I90 accross S.D. is pretty boring and was hot (low 100's each way)
Do the Badlands, it's pretty in it's own way.
One thing we learned was we had too much planned for the amount of time. Also I'd made reservations for each night except home from Cody. Take it a day at a time and stop when you want and get a room. Otherwise you constantly pushing to get to where your staying the next night.
It's the best riding there is .
Enjoy the ride

Dick

Old 12-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

I ride from Chicago to Sturgis every other year. I take I-90, which is direct but quite boring until you get into the Badlands. There are somegood route suggestions above.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:24 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I went to Sturgis this summer from Phila Pa.Here the best plan for making the trip. NO PLAN AT ALL. I traveled this with a friend the only plan we had was to be in Spearfish on a certain day for a house that was rented with a bunch of friends. Other than that we just headed west, it was the best trip I have ever taken. Happy Trails

Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All good tips/advice so far. I only want to add that at a lot of gas stations/convenience stores etc. there is usually a local one page map of the black hills area that you can pick up free. It has all the area roads etc. and is easier to read than flippin' thru the old road atlas.

my .02

Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

You will be surprised on how muchtourism there is in SD

Old 12-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: liltrk

All good tips/advice so far. I only want to add that at a lot of gas stations/convenience stores etc. there is usually a local one page map of the black hills area that you can pick up free. It has all the area roads etc. and is easier to read than flippin' thru the old road atlas.

my .02

Yep, that little map is GREAT!!! Free and good roads to ride on. I stayed in Deadwood and it was a great little town in the middle of most of these rides

Quick Reply: South Dakota or Bust....Have U Done It?