Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 RG engine oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 07 RG engine oil leak

Just returned from a 2700 mile trip to Arizona. Bombed down I-5 eight solid hours a day riding 2-up loaded down with gear. Bike ran like a champ EXCEPT I developed an oil leak at the base gasket for the rear cylinder. Started leaking after the bike got real hot when stuck in traffic for 45 minutes. Oil temp guage was maxed out at 300.

BTW, I know it's legal to split lanes in CA. Never done it before UNTIL I got so pissed off waiting in traffic. Having a hot bike between my legs didn't make it any easier. Finally took off arount the traffic jam and the oil returned to it's normally hot temp around 240. (maybe I shouldn't have installed that guage. Now I can't stop looking at it!)

Stopped by my dealer and showed them the leak on the return trip and they scheduled the bike for the repair. Took the bike home and cleaned it real well since it was filthy from the trip. Figured it would leak again on the ride into the shop however, when I rode it the 60 miles to the dealership, NO LEAK. Of course, it was cold and raining so the oil temp stayed real low. I suspect that it will only leak when the oil is very hot.

Called them today and they told me they changed both base gaskets under warranty. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Anyone else have issues with base gaskets?
Steve L.

PS, I did some research and I see that there is a "Base gasket fix" available that is sold aftermarket. Curious if anyone has installed one?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:49 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 07 RG engine oil leak

No base gasket.....it is an O Ring now...your case has a small countersink/groove for it to sit in and the jugs compress it when the heads are torqued.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

The shop replaced both base gaskets (O rings). Had a long talk with the mechanic with questions. 1. Why do you think the stock O ring leaked in less than 5000 miles? Answer: Don't know but it did so we replacedboth with stock O rings. 2. Have you seen this before? Answer: Yes, another bike came in today with the same leak. 3. Did you find a cut in the stock O ring or could you see any obvious reason why it would leak? Answer: not really.

So, They fixed the leak. Am I happy? Yes I am with the dealership and the mechanics. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder when the O ring will start leaking again. You can bet I'll be keeping a close eye on it as the warrenty comes close to running out. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't buy the extended warranty.

Steve L.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 RKC with less than 1000 miles has what looks like a very slight seepage at the base of the cylinders on the left side. Not actually a leak where you get oil on your finger if you wipe it, but it's something I will point out at the 1st service. I may go to a 103 kit if they decide to tear the jugs off. How bad of a leak did yours have??

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Storm_law
Advanced

A bit off topic but over heating is one of the reasons lane splitting is legal for motorcycles in California. As far as the leak all I can say is that knock on wood never had the problem. But then again, I always lane split in traffic!

Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

It leaked enough to run down the case on both sides of the engine. Keep in mind that we rode 2700 miles in 7 days. Noticed the leak on day 4. Seemed to leak mostly when the engine was real hot while going slow in traffic. I'm still not convinced that the heat issues are solved on this bike.
Steve L.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:32 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Storm_law

A bit off topic but over heating is one of the reasons lane splitting is legal for motorcycles in California. As far as the leak all I can say is that knock on wood never had the problem. But then again, I always lane split in traffic!
Being from Washington, I'd never done it . . . until this time. Finally got fed up and took off around the jam. By that time the bike was already hot. It cooled down as soon as I took off . . . and so did I.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Twize
Advanced

I noticed my new 08 SG with a 103kit (dealer installed)has the same "seep" leak at the base of therear jug, bike only has 1k mi on it.
I cleaned it up and took a 20min run onthe hwy on amild 73deg day. Came back home, and the same area had a small seep again.
I'll be pointing it out to them when they do the 1k service.

Sifularson, it's been a few months now, how has the new rings been holding up?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:36 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Twize

I noticed my new 08 SG with a 103kit (dealer installed) has the same "seep" leak at the base of the rear jug, bike only has 1k mi on it.
I cleaned it up and took a 20min run on the hwy on a mild 73deg day. Came back home, and the same area had a small seep again.
I'll be pointing it out to them when they do the 1k service.

Sifularson, it's been a few months now, how has the new rings been holding up?
Just got back from a 1300 mile trip over 5 days of hard riding. NO LEAK. Since then, I had a SERT tune done and an oil cooler installed. The hottest it got was 220 while riding slow for several miles in a national park.

I believe now that we should all install oil coolers. Just another part that HD should have installed and didn't.
Steve