Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probs tuning Magnetti Morelli EFI w. Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
gatorwalt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probs tuning Magnetti Morelli EFI w. Race Tuner

Every HD shop says the M-M EFI is crapola, so HD went with Delphi EFI. I'm stuck with my '01 Ultra with M-M EFI, so I bought a S/E Race Tuner. Prob is, I'm not Bill Gates, so I don't know how to use the tuner to tune the M-M. I took the bike to my local HD dealer, they didn't want to tune it, because THEY AREN'T GOOD AT USING THE S/E RACE TUNER. Duh.....

If somebody out there could advise me, or walk me through some steps to solving this, I'd appreciate it, mucho.

Yes, I've got a computer, but not a laptop. I could possibly carry my laptop out to the garage, if I knew what I was doing.

[/align]

Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 PM
classicjade01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Probs tuning Magnetti Morelli EFI w. Race Tuner

load the map closest to your setup and find a dealer to tune it. i pass 3 dealers on the way to the dealer that works on my bike. they are excellent on older bikes. they always have my idles set perfect and know lots of tricks on the older injection. they are the only ones i would let touch mine and that i can trust. they tuned mine at three different stages (stock cams v+h true duels sampson pipes, then 37g cams v+h true duals rush mufflers, then with a fatcat) everytime they met my expectations and it runs awesome. they said that while the m-m efi might be crappy....it will run even if it has a sensor screwed up. it might not run right but it runs. they said if a sensor would go out on a delphi it most likely wouldnt run at all. if u have a 88 with a performance cam just put in a 95inch map to make sure its rich enought to get it to a dealer. call around...u may have to drive a little ways to get it to a dealer that knows how to work on them but a well tuned m-m efi bike can run very well.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: gatorwalt

Every HD shop says the M-M EFI is crapola, so HD went with Delphi EFI. I'm stuck with my '01 Ultra with M-M EFI, so I bought a S/E Race Tuner. Prob is, I'm not Bill Gates, so I don't know how to use the tuner to tune the M-M. I took the bike to my local HD dealer, they didn't want to tune it, because THEY AREN'T GOOD AT USING THE S/E RACE TUNER. Duh.....

If somebody out there could advise me, or walk me through some steps to solving this, I'd appreciate it, mucho.

Yes, I've got a computer, but not a laptop. I could possibly carry my laptop out to the garage, if I knew what I was doing.

[/align]
Gator,

On that disk that came with the SERT is a tuning manual. Load it, print it, and read itso you have a book to reference. Then go to the back and find a build that is close to yours. Following the instructions, hook the cable to the dongle, the dongle to the data port. Load the MAP and see how the bike runs. In the mean time, start asking all the shops, local and independant too, if they can tune it.

A couple of things to doBEFORE starting. With the engine running, take a can of WD-40 or carb cleaner and spray the outside of the throttle body where it connects to the manifold. If you hear a change in engine speed you have an intake leak. Then take your bic clicker flame starter and hold it up to all the exhaust joints starting from the head back. If the flame flickers too much, then you have an exhaust leak.If you have any leaks,theyMUST be taken care of before proceeding further with any tuning.

And find yourself a good tuner, even if it is not close.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're for real, take it back. It wont work with your bike.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: wldbill

What won't work for his bike?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: wldbill

Bill, it will work as long as he bought it new, and the dongle has not been married to another ECM.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:23 AM
gatorwalt
Road Captain

Yes, I bought the SERT new, and it has been used three times, by the local worthless HD stealer. I have hooked it up to my computer once, and didn't really know what to do.

I have a stage I on my '01 Ultra Classic, air filter, SE slipons.

I have to pay for three hours at $75 per hour to have local HD ATTEMPT to tune it. I thought the purpose of a SERT was to be able to tune it myself.

[/align]

Old 12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
adlerx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fought the MM/EFI for a few years and finally did the right thing and converted to carb. Smartest thing I ever did to my 01'RG. Problem with the MM is that no one ever learned to tune em before HD ditched the system in favor of the far superior Delphi system. Even the best and most experienced tuners are really at a loss with the MM and a SERT. In actuality the MM/EFI is the one case where the PCIIIu is a far better choice with much greater tunability than the SERT. The SERT for the MM/EFI wasn't even released until 2005 and the dealers just never had any incentive to learn to use it.
The switch to carb cost me about $600 total and that included a brand new SE-CV44 and DTT ignition since my bike was built(100/100+). For a stage 1 bike a stock CV is fine and will save you almost half. The conversion is easy and straight forward, if you aren't mechanically inclined, probably take you 4-5 hours. If you are a pretty decent wrench, under 3 hours....

Old 12-06-2007, 09:13 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The SERT IS DESIGNED TO WORK ONLY WITH THE dELPHI WHICH CAME ON 02 AND LATER BIKES. iI have been through that with a 2000 ultra. You need to take it back and get a power commander which will work fine.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 AM
gatorwalt
Road Captain

[/align]
[blockquote]

Thanks Adlerx, that's been suggested, and I'm considering it as a last resort. I'm not much of a wrench, but I've got friends who are. I hate to lessen the bike's value if I decide to sell it, someday. BTW, you are 100% right, about the local HD stealer, who doesn't even want to tune my bike, with the MM EFI.

[/align][/blockquote]

Quick Reply: Probs tuning Magnetti Morelli EFI w. Race Tuner