Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probs tuning Magnetti Morelli EFI w. Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM
gatorwalt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Probs tuning Magnetti Morelli EFI w. Race Tuner

[/align]
[blockquote]
Thank you very much, to all of you who responded. I have just one more question, to any of you. I now know to check the plugs, set the air bleed screws, etc. Is there anything else I should do, before we hook up the SERT, for hopefully the last time?

Thanks again, guys, and Merry Christmas to all. Gator[/blockquote]

Old 12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
adlerx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: gatorwalt

[/align]

[blockquote]

Thanks Adlerx, that's been suggested, and I'm considering it as a last resort. I'm not much of a wrench, but I've got friends who are. I hate to lessen the bike's value if I decide to sell it, someday. BTW, you are 100% right, about the local HD stealer, who doesn't even want to tune my bike, with the MM EFI.

[/align][/blockquote]
DUDE! Wake up and smell the coffee! Your bike is a 2000, I don't wanna burst your bubble but EFI or Carb or converted has nothing to do with it's current or future value. If it was only 2-3 years old, it might be different but at 8 years old, not a dollar difference in value......
The days of used HD's being worth nearly what they cost new are over, the market is flooded with used bikes and the value of early twin cams is not very good, sorry...

Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the air filter. That system is speed density which means at a certain throttle position it delivers this much fuel. The system does not have a map sensor so it hasno idea how much air is entering. If the air filter gets dirty and airflow is reduced, it still get's this much fuel. I recommend cleaning the air filter on Mag systems every time you change oil & filter , if not more.

Check and then recheck that you do not have an intake leak.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: gatorwalt
Every HD shop says the M-M EFI is crapola Huh??? MM is a decent system, in the right hands... My 2k is on it's 3d owner and at 85k, it still runs like a top without having any adjustments to the ISC, TP or bleed screws.., so HD went with Delphi EFI. I'm stuck with my '01 Ultra with M-M EFI, so I bought a S/E Race Tuner. Prob is, I'm not Bill Gates, so I don't know how to use the tuner to tune the M-M. I took the bike to my local HD dealer, they didn't want to tune it, because THEY AREN'T GOOD AT USING THE S/E RACE TUNER. Duh..... Tuning with the MM SERT is the same as the Delphi SERT, the tables are a little bit different, but to do the VE's you are using Throttle Plate Degrees, vice Throttle position %.... FWIW, make a few calls, ask around for reputable tuners. You might have to drive a few hours, but wouldn't it be worth it to have it done by someone that knows the system? Find out where theygot their SERT training.... Very few tuners use the MM SERT, cause they don't understand it, but it is damned near the same exact tool as the Delphi SERT, plain and simple....

If somebody out there could advise me, or walk me through some steps to solving this, I'd appreciate it, mucho. Load the CLOSEST map to your current configuration AFTER you have made sure that your Intake and Exhaust tract are free from leaks, and that your Hot and Cold Idles are dead on.....

Yes, I've got a computer, but not a laptop. I could possibly carry my laptop out to the garage, if I knew what I was doing.

[/align]

Old 12-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have a 2001 Ultra, andI have boughtand tried ALL the tuners out there- PCII, Techlusion TFI/DFO, PCIIIr, second ECM (under warranty), Terry Type O2 feedback gizmo, Dakota Kid 48mm TB with SERT for M&M (which you have), and now Zippers kit with Thunder Max ECU/50mm Single Throat TB/Closed Loop System.

One of the reasons I tried so many things, is because my bike would NOT hold a tune for more than a few months. I'd get it dialed in on a dyno (Ka-Ching$$$$), and a few months later it would act up again. After trying all of the above, and paying for tune after tune, it is my conclusion that the weakest link in the system is the Throttle Body. It is too finicky with a separate hot and cold idle setting, sensative TPS settings, and two front air bleed screws. I got pushed over the edge about a year and a half ago when I got one of the best dyno tunes ever with the SERT. The bike ran great and got great mpgs. Then I went from sea level where I live, to Yellowstone. Up at altitude the bike idled like crap. As soon as I came down to sea level, the bike ran great. In frustrated disgust I went with the Zippers Kit with closed loop to avoid future dyno tunes (Another story here to be told later). In retrospect, I believe that had I changed out to a simpler single throat TB without front airbleed screws, I probably could have kept my stock ECM and SERT set up. I think that over the years my bike had been "tuned" by too many hands, and that the TB was never set up properly. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

I'm thinking you will be okay in this. Do not judge all M&M bikes by my poor history. Find a good tuner and you will be happy.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM
gatorwalt
Road Captain

Thanks Paniola. I will try to check for leaks first, then make the adjustments everybody mentioned, and then tune. I'd like to keep from changing TB, etc., as a last resort. I've poured enough $ into it already. Once again, if anybody has any other ideas or suggestions, please send 'em. Much appreciated. This is a brotherhood like none I've seen since the Corps. Semper Fi. Gator

[/align]

Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you don't want to hear this, but a PCIII may be your better choice. Your MM system is fully capable of being tuned with SERT. But... as you know, you are tied to the HD dealer and it's difficult finding one with MM experience.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:59 PM
gatorwalt
Road Captain

I can't see buying a PCIII, spending money on top of the money I spent on the Race Tuner. I'm going to try theleak testing, first, and then tuning again with the SERT.

[/align]

Old 01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
gatorwalt
Road Captain

I found the problem, I think. We found an air leak where the throttle body sits on the head. Now, I need to know how to adjust the two air bleed screws.

How many turns each? Is a turn a full revolution of a screwdriver, or a flat side turn?

Thanks in advance,

Gatorwalt