Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals -Reinhart vs V & H

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals -Reinhart vs V & H

I'm starting the want a litttle more volume with the power on. I did a search and saw nothing that helped. Has any one had experience with BOTH Vance and Hines AND Rhineharts (not sure about spelling) can recommend one kind over the other?

Thanks

Hack

Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
TandShe
Advanced
Default RE: True Duals -Reinhart vs V & H

I have buddies with both on their bikes and when I made the change I had no doubts as I went with the V&H True duals and Ovals.

To each their own, but this is the way for me.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother has V&H td with ovals on his Classic and I have Rinehart TD on my Classic. If you want louder and deeper....Rineharts hands down. I dont want to take anything away from the ovals tho they sound good also.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i have the v&h big shots, and the wife has the rinehart true duals. so i think i can speak with some experience here. of course, this is all subjective opinion anyway

i like them both, a lot. but there are a couple of things that i dislike about both also.

dislikes:
v&h-the rear/left side pipe fits awful close to the left side cover (close enough to scuff), the screw holding the baffle is under the heat shield (easily rectified), sounds like a jake brake when decelerating (quiet baffles took care of that)

rineharts- the heat shield didn't fit exactly right (living with that, though it does bother somewhat), the rear/left side pipe is way longer than it needs to be so it sits way far out from the left side cover (somewhere inbetween the two would be good), sounds a lot better at idle than it does at speed.

none of my dislikes are enough to make me not recommend either pipe to someone. and while i like the sound of the rineharts at idle, i prefer the v&h at speed. so i'm not looking to change out either set anytime soon.

good luck with your decision, either one is a good choice.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive had experience with both...both are very nice...the Rhineharts only use a Rhinehart slip on and sound is what you got....i prefer my V&H with Rush slip ons, i can tailor the sound with diff size baff's

Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rineharts TDs are louder - Since I have had these on my '01 RKC I have had to change out (under warranty) both mufflers (baffle breaking loose (rattle)) - End Caps twice (changing colors) & need to again replace - Rear Header Pipe breaking at the mounting point...

V&H TD's - Buddy has them look good - sound good just not as deep or loud as the Rinegharts

If I was to do it again (which I will) I would look at the BUB 7's (same makers as the rineharts) but I want to see if they're going to have the same problems as the rineharts???

Old 12-03-2007, 06:04 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Rineharts have a stepped header design which will give better power numbers by flowing more air.

I love the sound of the Rineharts, the fit & finish is great too.

Everytime I install a set of someone's bike, I just can't wait to take it out for the test ride.

If I ever did go back to a 2-2 setup, it's the Rineharts for sure.

Steve

Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: skratch

i have the v&h big shots, and the wife has the rinehart true duals. so i think i can speak with some experience here. of course, this is all subjective opinion anyway

i like them both, a lot. but there are a couple of things that i dislike about both also.

dislikes:
v&h-the rear/left side pipe fits awful close to the left side cover (close enough to scuff), the screw holding the baffle is under the heat shield (easily rectified), sounds like a jake brake when decelerating (quiet baffles took care of that)

rineharts- the heat shield didn't fit exactly right (living with that, though it does bother somewhat), the rear/left side pipe is way longer than it needs to be so it sits way far out from the left side cover (somewhere inbetween the two would be good), sounds a lot better at idle than it does at speed.

none of my dislikes are enough to make me not recommend either pipe to someone. and while i like the sound of the rineharts at idle, i prefer the v&h at speed. so i'm not looking to change out either set anytime soon.

good luck with your decision, either one is a good choice.

Exactly my thoughts regarding exhaust sound. Rineharts sound better at idle compared to V&H with the standard baffles. V&H sound as good as Rineharts at idle withthe quiet baffles and better than Rineharts at speed with or without the quiet baffles. The V&H quiet baffles create a lower throaty rumble than the stock baffles. I agree thatbothmanufacturershave agood quality product and each produces a good exhaust sound that you would expect from a Harley.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Corndog
Cruiser

Ihad both on my RKC. I initially had the Rinehart TDs. I loved the deep throaty sound, but on my bike, they had a horrible high-pitched chirp that was so annoying that I had to get rid of them. (They do that on some bikes, but not all....it's a mystery). I replaced them with a set of V&H Big Shots with quiet baffles. (The quiet baffles don't make them any quieter....they just lower the tone). Chirping was gone and they sound great. I also like the look of the straight pipes. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
CFDgrunt
Cruiser

Rineharts do sound awesome, But those friggin pain in the *** black end caps that arn't black anymore are another story

Quick Reply: True Duals -Reinhart vs V & H