Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet laws, in favor or not? take a few min.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
shamboogiebanger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet laws, in favor or not? take a few min.

I'm trying to gather some public opinions on this topic for a research project.
what I would like to know is
[ol][*]if you live in a helmet law state[*]do you own a helmet(DOT approved)[*]would you support a nation wide law requiring helmets, and why or why not[*]any pros/cons to helmets that you can think of (price, cumfort, experience etc..)[*]any other comments.[/ol]
my thoughts:
I do not currently live in a helmet state. the only reason that I do not wear a helmet all the time is because it is not required. I personaly dont care if there was a nation wide law requiring all motorcyclists to wear helmets. I think if such a law were in place, companys would be pushed into building a better more cumfortable helmet. If there was a good looking well functioning helmet, i would prob wear one all the time. when I do wear one, my head seems to be jerked around a lot by the wind. I have a full faced helmet that I wear in shitty weather or really long interstate travel, but 99% of the time, no helmet.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 PM
bezoar
Tourer
Default RE: Helmet laws, in favor or not? take a few min.

I've lived in both. As a medical professional I understand the statistics viz a viz head injury. I can also make a case for the helmet doing harm in and of itself. As long as you're insured and over 21, free choice is my mantra.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38807/AF3117241893451EA321B9694420AA6D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 PM
PeteM
Cruiser

1) No mandatory helmet law (has restrictions but basically no)

2) Yes

3) Would not. Land of the free thing

4) I do wear one, tis my own choice. No real con's other than the standard ventilation, etc

5) N/A

Old 12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Lucky_one2
Tourer

Been riding 38 years and I have always worn a DOT approved helmet (just a habit I guess). Currently I live in a state that does not require the use of a helmet (Arkansas). I do not think that any state or the federal government should require the use of a helmet. Too many requirements, too much regulation, kind of goes against why most people ride/own motorcycles.

I have several depending on the weather... Shoei full face and 3/4 and HD half (All DOT approved).

Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

SC is not a helmet state for 21 and over.
I own three different style, shorty, open face with shield and full face. Helmet of choice for hiway riding depends on the temp and other conditions i.e. rain. commuting in town is with no helmet except rain days. I would say it is 50/50. I have been riding 45 years.

I am an active member of SC ABATE and lobby against helmet laws. it is a choice!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Slope
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I'll bite.
[ol][*]if you live in a helmet law state - Sort of. You have to be over 18 and carry over 10k in health insurance in order to be able to go helmetless.[*]do you own a helmet(DOT approved) - Yes[*]would you support a nation wide law requiring helmets, and why or why not - No, this is the United States, people should have freedom of choice.[*]any pros/cons to helmets that you can think of (price, cumfort, experience etc..) - all of the above ;-)[*]any other comments. - Yes. Helmets should be a personal choice. If helmet companies want to make money they should make a helmet that people would want to by. Looks features, etc arefactors they should consider when targeting the intended audience. If they do thier reserearch and uncover customer needs and desires, they should be able to produce a product for each of the market segments. Do NOT make a helmet, then push to pass laws to sell saidhelmet![/ol]

Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't live in a helmet law state, but do wear one at least some of the time. There are lots of good helmets out there, I don't know that having a law would make them any better. I just don't like the government or anyone telling me that I HAVE TO WEAR ONE. I don't believe any of the talk that helmets cause more injuries to the neck or whatever. After riding for awhile without a helmet it does take a little while to get used to wearing one again....the weight, and the added size that can be buffeted in the wind, but it doesn't take long. Too many things are being mandated by a "concerned government", sometimes Federal, but also state and local. If the "food police" have there way it won't be too long before you can't get a good 'ol greasy burger and fries anymore. People need to be responsible for some part of their own lives...not have everything mandated by someone who thinks they know better.

Damn....that felt good!!![:@] Excuse me, its lunch time....time to hit Burger King for a super-sized whopper and fries.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Jock
Cruiser

[ol][*]if you live in a helmet law state - helmet law country[*]do you own a helmet(DOT approved) - own 3, 1 fixed full face, 1 open face and one flip front[*]would you support a nation wide law requiring helmets, and why or why not - yes, just look at the stats re safety[*]any pros/cons to helmets that you can think of (price, cumfort, experience etc..) you get what you pay for[*]any other comments.- yes running about without a helemt feels great and when on private roadsin UK you can do it - having said that I have a couple of friends who have came off their rides and the helmets either saved their life or looks[/ol]

Old 12-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I live in a helmet free state.I weara helmetmost of the time,but I'm pro choice when it comes tohelmet laws.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: shamboogiebanger

I'm trying to gather some public opinions on this topic for a research project.
what I would like to know is [ol][*]if you live in a helmet law state[*]do you own a helmet(DOT approved)[*]would you support a nation wide law requiring helmets, and why or why not[*]any pros/cons to helmets that you can think of (price, cumfort, experience etc..)[*]any other comments.[/ol]
1) PA has a limited helmet law. Specifics are available online.

2) Yes, several.

3) Yes. Many people are simply too stupid, stubborn or ill-advised to make certain decisions for themselves. Example: Look how many people *STILL* let their kids run around inside the car sans seat belts and car seats.

4) Aside from the obvious reasons of safety, helmets make riding out in the wind more comfortable. Bugs hurt at 60 miles per hour. They also are quieter, prevent sunburn and provide me a cone of quiet for music, etc.

5) People die from falling and hitting thier heads on floors and counter tops every day. Why the hell anyone would add forward momentum to that and *still* not wear a helmet is beyond me. Not wearing as much safety gear as is reasonable is just plain stupid.

$.02

Quick Reply: Helmet laws, in favor or not? take a few min.