Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up a fallen bike.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picking up a fallen bike.

I had one of those "not sure what I did" things happen this weekend. Met some buds for an early morningride; making a slow turn in the parking lot, too slow I guess and yep, down on the crash bars she went. It just kind of rolled onto it's side, so I jumped off and "thought" I knew how to pick her back up. Done it on other bikes; back to the seat; grabbed the rear crash bar and the handle bars and tried a dead lift; only this time my not so old back injury reminded me I was doing something wrong. I could not get her back up, mostly because of the now re-injured back. Damn, getting old sucks. The bubs helped me out and now they have something to rib me about.

Question; I know I saw a thread somewhere on the proper way to get a bike back up, but for the life of me I can not find it now. Other than not dropping her again, is there any suggestions on what I should do if this happens again and with a bad back that is now waiting for an appointment with the chiroparactor. I'm feeling pretty stupid but this bad back thing is making me feel less confident.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Picking up a fallen bike.

Don't feel stupid just next time lift with your legs. I know its easier said then done because when it happens ur first instinct is to get the bike up ASAP before anyone sees you. Just use your leg muscles next time.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
LMeyer327
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where I read or was told this, but supposedly, even a small woman can upright a large bike if the correct method is used. You have to turn your back to the bike and walk it up using your legs instead of "lifting" the bike while facing it. Your back to the bike will allow your legs to do all the work and "save" your back. I don;t know the exact procedure, but at some point in the lift I would think you'd need to sort of roll around and face the bike, to keep from taking it upright and PAST the pivot point and have it fall to the other side. THAT would be grounds for some serious ribbing from your so-called buds.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw a video of a small woman picking up a bagger.

She backed to to the bike and squated down, held on to the handlebar and I think the rear crash bar, and walked the bike back up.

Hard to explain, but she made it look easy.

Sammi

Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: LMeyer327

Not sure where I read or was told this, but supposedly, even a small woman can upright a large bike if the correct method is used. You have to turn your back to the bike and walk it up using your legs instead of "lifting" the bike while facing it. Your back to the bike will allow your legs to do all the work and "save" your back. I don;t know the exact procedure, but at some point in the lift I would think you'd need to sort of roll around and face the bike, to keep from taking it upright and PAST the pivot point and have it fall to the other side. THAT would be grounds for some serious ribbing from your so-called buds.
That's the procedure I was trying to explain.

Sammi

Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Meanwhile how's the bike?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here.............watch this gal pick hers up.

HERE

Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikeeeeeeeeee
That's what I was looking for. THANKS! Now I see what I did wrong; I tried to lift it by squating and lifting instead of pushing it back up with my butt. Makes more sense after seeing how a GIRL can do it. The sick thing about it is that when I was a younger man I was a weight lifter; I have never had any back problems until about a month ago. If I could not lift something it was not my back that keep me from it, it was just too heavy.So when I dropped her this timeI jumped off and yes, tried to get it back up before anyone could see.I tried to power lift it back up, then felt my left hip just pop and a wimper cried out andrealized Iwas helpless. After seeing the video, I have a sick sense of wanting to try it again, not dropping it, just maybe finding some help and laying it down on some padding, then trying the technic, but I think I will wait until the old back heals some more. The bike is fine, only a slight scratch on the footpeg which took the first contact, not even a scratch on the front or rear crash bars.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Dago_RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great to see that you can still get a direct answer on this site without some Jack @$$ telling you to do a search. In my opinion some topics deserve a fresh thread every now and then.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yup, you roll the bike up.

Quick Reply: Picking up a fallen bike.