Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up a fallen bike.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Picking up a fallen bike.

The video is definitely worth the money. I only wish I could take the class here in the Southeast.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
gdkenoyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the link!

I wish I had read this last month when I had to have my 15 yo daughter help me put my RG back on it's wheels...

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

"Ride Like a Pro VI"will teach you how to properly pick up a bike as well as teaching you how not to drop it in a parking lot to start with. It is well worth the price of the video.

Bill
If a rider drops their bikes in class, it's usually because they did not follow instructions, or use the proper technique. Mostly it's from pulling in the clutch or using the front brake while leaned over ina full lock turn. The other big one is looking down at the ground. As any instructor will tell you half the time is spent introducing the proper tecnique, and the other half trying to break bad habits. Some folks pick it up right away. Others still try and ride the exercises with the clutch pulled all the way in, and covering the front brake. The hardest is teaching folks to turn their heads.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 PM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thsi a great subject for us all to re-visit occasionally!

Thanx!

Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

I only wish I could take the class here in the Southeast.
Plan a ride to Florida, and take the class from Jerry.
Out here in Los angeles, I've had folks come from San Fancisco, San Diego, Denver, Colorado, and Las Vegas, Nevada.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Sportshot
Cruiser

Do you remember looking down at the driveway, that is a sure way to go over if you did. Eyes up where you want to go not what you are going over will keep that from happening. Yes, those are words of wisdom because it has happened to me too.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Real_Big_Tex
Cruiser

My wife recently dropped her bike in the garage. '01 FXSTS and that thing lays FLAT down. The seat was probably 3" off concrete. I went to walk the bike up, but due to having both knees operated on this summer, I couldn't get very low. I thought I could lift it enough to get my butt on the seat, but there isn't anything on the back half of the bike that I could find to grab. I didn't want to pull on the sissy bar. Finally, I got it part way and had my wife help me the rest of the way. Any ideas what to grab on a bike like that?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Real_Big_Tex

My wife recently dropped her bike in the garage. '01 FXSTS and that thing lays FLAT down. The seat was probably 3" off concrete. I went to walk the bike up, but due to having both knees operated on this summer, I couldn't get very low. I thought I could lift it enough to get my butt on the seat, but there isn't anything on the back half of the bike that I could find to grab. I didn't want to pull on the sissy bar. Finally, I got it part way and had my wife help me the rest of the way. Any ideas what to grab on a bike like that?
The other method is to face the bike at the handle bars on the downed side. Squat down, cup your hands together. Place the handlebar grip in the cup of your hands and turn the front tire upwards. Keep your shoulders square, and your arms as close to your sides as possible. Keep your head up and your butt down. Then using your legs, and ONLY your legs stand the bike upright. That's the method the CHP went to after they started riding BMWs. It's known as the sportbike pick up.

This only works if your handbars are tight. If they are too loose, then the bars will rotate and you will loose leverage.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Sportshot

Do you remember looking down at the driveway, that is a sure way to go over if you did. Eyes up where you want to go not what you are going over will keep that from happening. Yes, those are words of wisdom because it has happened to me too.
I had a student rider (REAL Green Newbie) who kept dropping their Sportster. As soon as I saw her mount up, I saw the problem. She would look down for the side stand, loose balance and topple over. I told her that as soon as she dropped her eyes, she lost the horizon. I told her to practice finding the sidestand without having to look for it. She would also loose herself in the gauges, switches and buttons. I told her to practice getting on and off and develop a routine and practice it so she could do it with total confidence and without having to look for and find stuff.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
profinish
Banned

I dunno... call me cynical... paranoid... whatever. Today I'm driving down the boulevard and come to a stop sign.

I see this guy on a new Street Glide... smile ear-to-ear, has the stock speakers cranked up beyond distortion... light turns green, he lets the clutch out too soon... and over he goes. I almost hit the F*****...dudes gotta be 100 lbs. wet and all of 5' tall. I could of sworn he was crying like a bit**.

I've been riding waaaay too long to see these new people who shouldnot be ridingget on Big Twins and F*** the rest of us up. IMO... if 'ya cant pick her up... you shouldn't be ridin'... orat least figure it out before postin' for help for crying out loud.

Sorry...not in a compassionate mood today.

Quick Reply: Picking up a fallen bike.