Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are short windshields on Road Glide performing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How are short windshields on Road Glide performing?

One of the first things I did when I got my Road Glide home was to order a Clearview windshield one inch shorter than stock. I've had them on other bikes and they perform great. My hope and expectation is that it will eliminate or reduce the helmet buffeting that I am experiencing with the stock windshield. If nothing else, the thicker Clearview should reduce some of the vibration I'm experiencing with the thin stock windshield.

I notice that several Road Glide owners are going with one of the shorter windshields that MoCo offers. How are they working? Does this shorter windshield reduce some of the buffeting and noise? I had a chance to ride a Street Glide for a few days and was very pleasantly surprised with how that shorter windshield performed and I'm wondering if I would have similar results on my Road Glide.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts
Default RE: How are short windshields on Road Glide performing?

I've run the HD version on mine and also running a dark tinted one at present that I bought off of ebay. Dealer goofed my HD one up and bought me a brand new one which I still have in the box. In the meantime, I bought one aftermarket one from ebay for $50 or so and no issues. No real buffeting etc and noise wasn't bad.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Glide08
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out my windsheild almost immediately after purchasing the bike. I had a hard time judging the depth in turns since the top of the shield was right at eye level and seemed to distort things. I went to a 6" windshield from JP cycles for about $75. Unfortunately, I have experienced a bit more buffetting with the shorter shield, but I would rather be able to see and deal with the buffetting. It isn't bad at in town speeds, just on the freeway. Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain

check out http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=9

They have the recurve sheild that adds a 1"-2" elevation to the air stream to decrease the buffetting. They are great! I a little pricey but worth the results. Also come in 3 different colors, and may heights.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 PM
crashbike310
Cruiser

What Glide said (I'm 6'3" and have a 6" shield)

Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have tried the HD Small and it worked well till 50MPH - OEM was good till 62MPH - Clearview Small is good till around 80MPH...
I'm 6'3" and running a Corbin Dual Tour which drops down & back - also lowered ft & rear susp has been lowered...