Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush/Fuel Moto custom baffles

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Rush/Fuel Moto custom blaffles

ORIGINAL: Rabid

Iclick, I understand that the new baffles are quieter than the old ones. But how do the new mufflers with the baffles compare to the stock mufflers, are they louder with more growl?
Yes, they are "louder with more growl" than stock, and are just right for my taste. I can hear my stereo fine and my ears no longer ring after a long ride. Well, not as much.

The stock mufflers are a touch too quiet, EVEN the neighbours complain that it doesn't sound like a Harley.....
When the neighbors complain about a Harley being too quiet, it is too quiet!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: texas steve
62 degrees and sunny! GREAT riding!!
I hear ya--67° today, sunny, and clear. Did a 190-miler! Not gonna happen for a few more days, though, as a cold front is coming through. Hard freeze (for us) tomorrow and Wed. nights.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: billybobsrk

I don't have fuel injection on my 97 Road King, other than rejetting the carburator, would I need to install any additional hardware with the newmodified Rush mufflers? Aside from gaining performance, how much difference is there in gas milage from stock Harley mufflers? Last but not least, would you say that new modified mufflers are quieter than the 1.50" stock Rush baffles and what other muffler would you compare them sound to? At 57 years of age I still like a little rumblewithout the ear ringing from a set of loud pipes, especially after a long run. All comments on sound, performance and gas milage would be greatly appreciated..........Billy Bob
You've got me on that one. The CV carb is so simple to rejet that I would think you could experiment. Jamie might have an idea, so give him a call. I would guess it would be the same jetting as you have with a standard baffle setup, as the two maps I have for the 1.75's and the custom setup are not radically different.

As for gas mileage, I wouldn't think there would be much difference in cruising gas mileage from one slip-on to another, including stock. I've been tweaking my mileage for a year and have the SG up to 48-49 mpg on the highway, but you can get better mileage with that carbureted Evo! I had a Thunderslide kit in my '96 with an Andrews EV13 cam and Crane HI-E4 ignition module (single-fire, mutli-spark) and got spectacular mileage. I used a 185 main jet and a 42 (stock) low jet, which was perfect for that setup. If you have a stock cam you might want to use a 175 jet instead, or maybe even a 165. The T'slide kit had 165, 175, 185, and 195--or at least my kit purchased in 1998 had these. My best was 63.5 on a slow (50mph) ride with a nice tail wind, and it routinely got mid-50's in touring trim (i.e. loaded) on trips, backroads only. Above 65mph and mileage dropped off radically, but it never did worse than 43 mpg, in that case a 75 mph blast down the I-10 with a strong head wind. To my chagrin, my '07 SG can't even come close to these numbers, even after relentless tweaking of the PCIII map.

Gas mileage: About the same as before for me, but unless you tweak Jamie's rich PCIII map it won't be as good as you might expect. He tunes for performance and cooling, but mileage will suffer. This is easily rectified.

Sound: Perfect for my taste. YMMV. Compared to 1.5's? I'd say probably quieter, as they are noticeably quieter than my old 1.75's, although I think the packing on them was deteriorating at the time of replacement.

Performance: Excellent. Great low-end with a smooth TQ curve, nice peak HP, and probably as good as you'll get with a stock 96" engine. I think the only way to equal this setup is with a 2-into-1, which costs much more.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:28 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These new Rush muffler/baffle kits from Fuel Moto sounds the way to go for more peformance with a nice rumble between stock and loud. Were these pipes specifically designed for fuel injection modelsor can the be installed on carburated models as well?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
FXSTCHEWY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iclick,
How do you think the Fuel moto map will work with the SERT STG1 map? I have the Baffles installed into the Mufflers using your tips, however, I have the SERT installed, basic #78 cal, Jamie sent me a map for the PCIII, but I don't have the PC installed yet, I would just use the SERT to tune but I have Lost or Thrown away the "dongle" thing so the SERT will not communicate with the ECM, so I just want to use the PCIII instead. Moved and somehow lost some parts and other junk. Chewy

Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: billybobsrk
These new Rush muffler/baffle kits from Fuel Moto sounds the way to go for more peformance with a nice rumble between stock and loud. Were these pipes specifically designed for fuel injection modelsor can the be installed on carburated models as well?
The initial testing was on an '07 RK (EFI), and he's completed testing on TC88's. Not sure where he stands on Evos or TC95's, 103's, etc.--much less carbed bikes. Since carbs have far less adjustability compared to PCIII or SERT, I would think you'd be close enough with the same jetting used for another Rush configuration. I would call Jamie on that, as he's the expert.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FXSTCHEWY

How do you think the Fuel moto map will work with the SERT STG1 map? I have the Baffles installed into the Mufflers using your tips, however, I have the SERT installed, basic #78 cal, Jamie sent me a map for the PCIII, but I don't have the PC installed yet, I would just use the SERT to tune but I have Lost or Thrown away the "dongle" thing so the SERT will not communicate with the ECM, so I just want to use the PCIII instead. Moved and somehow lost some parts and other junk. Chewy
That's a bummer you can't recal that SERT and I don't have a clue what to suggest. I don't run SERT, never have, and don't have enough knowledge of it to give you even a half-baked answer.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
FXSTCHEWY
Advanced

Been told by more than one that the basic SERT cal is nothing more than a regular download and it is still lean just like the DL, I guess I can just put the PC on and go from there......if anything it maybe a little rich, I asked Jamie to send me a map for a Stage 1 ecm. Thank's Chewy.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Been told by more than one that the basic SERT cal is nothing more than a regular download and it is still lean just like the DL, I guess I can just put the PC on and go from there......if anything it maybe a little rich, I asked Jamie to send me a map for a Stage 1 ecm. Thank's Chewy.
Once you get the PCIII and Jamie's map I can give you my tweaked map that'll provide better mileage as long as you resist the temptation to twist the wrist--i.e., stay in the cruise range as much as possible. It will run hotter in summer since it is much leaner from idle through the cruise range, so you may want to keep a close eye on oil temperature when air temps increase this summer. No problems for me at this time, as today I rode in 67° ambient and saw oil temp rise to only about 185°. I have the map switch and can switch to the richer map on the fly when needed, which won't happen before next summer, but if only one map is used there will have to be a compromise between mileage and cooling.

I'm not sure how my tweak will relate to the Stage 1 download, so you might ask Jamie about it. If he has a map for a Stage 1 ECM you might want to compare, then tweak my tweak accordingly. I would think it would be near the same in the cruise range since the ECM would be in closed-loop mode at that point on a stock bike.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM
FXSTCHEWY
Advanced

ORIGINAL: iclick

Once you get the PCIII and Jamie's map I can give you my tweaked map that'll provide better mileage as long as you resist the temptation to twist the wrist--i.e., stay in the cruise range as much as possible. It will run hotter in summer since it is much leaner from idle through the cruise range, so you may want to keep a close eye on oil temperature when air temps increase this summer. No problems for me at this time, as today I rode in 67° ambient and saw oil temp rise to only about 185°. I have the map switch and can switch to the richer map on the fly when needed, which won't happen before next summer, but if only one map is used there will have to be a compromise between mileage and cooling.

I'm not sure how my tweak will relate to the Stage 1 download, so you might ask Jamie about it. If he has a map for a Stage 1 ECM you might want to compare, then tweak my tweak accordingly. I would think it would be near the same in the cruise range since the ECM would be in closed-loop mode at that point on a stock bike.
Iclick.
I installed the mufflers without the PC and with just the SERT map and it run's OK but I am getting some decel popping as so as I get off the throttle, I am going out to put on the PC and the 02 eliminators as soon as I get the garage a little warmer, could you send me that PC map so I can look and compare to the one Jamie sent me?
The mufflers have a good sound............deep and not too loud just have to work on the decel popping issue. Thank's Chewy

Quick Reply: Rush/Fuel Moto custom baffles