Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 PM
W0ace
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nyokie-

Thanks man! I'm going to do this tomorrow night after work, stop at Lowe's on the way home and pick up everything. I took off my tour pak yesterday and was thinking about building a rack, and was going to make it like the MOCO one just because. This will be much easier!!

Ride Safe!

W0ACE

Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 AM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Didn't like the heel toe shifter

I just made my first mod to my new FLTRU. I removed the heel shifter. I've been shifting with my toe for 50 years and couldn't get used to the heel shifter. Plus I didn't like the fact that my booted foot just fit between the heel toe levers and it kept my left foot in one position that was way ahead of my right foot which could move around on the boards. I made a spacer out of a piece of delrin about 1.3 inches long with a half inch hole through it. I slid a small O ring against the primary put the spacer on and tightened the toe shifter on the outer notch. It's way more comfortable now, plus I now have a spare shiftlever.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 AM
HDnutcase
Intermediate
Default No heel shifter

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
I just made my first mod to my new FLTRU. I removed the heel shifter. I've been shifting with my toe for 50 years and couldn't get used to the heel shifter. Plus I didn't like the fact that my booted foot just fit between the heel toe levers and it kept my left foot in one position that was way ahead of my right foot which could move around on the boards. I made a spacer out of a piece of delrin about 1.3 inches long with a half inch hole through it. I slid a small O ring against the primary put the spacer on and tightened the toe shifter on the outer notch. It's way more comfortable now, plus I now have a spare shiftlever.
I have always hated the heel shifter. I like to be able to move my foot around and that heel shifter is always in the way. I purchased the Kuryakyn heel shifter eliminator kit which isn't too expensive and gives you a nice chrome finished cone on the end of that shifter rod.

"If you know how many guns you own, you need to buy some more".
HDnutcase

Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 AM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield for a Road Glide Custom

My son and I have been ridin around and he was bitchin about the wind in his face and can't keep his hat or bandana on. He has the RG custom with the itty bitty windshield I have an Ultra. I told him to use thumb tacks or a staple gun, but you know kids they never listen. So I went to Plasticare, our local plastic supply store, bought a 1/8th inch piece of polycarbonate plastic same as lexan, for 25 bucks. I thought we'd have to heat it up to bend it but the guy at the plastic store said it'll bend, no problem. We cut it to shape, using the bottom of his and the top of mine for a pattern and made it about 1.5 inches shorter than mine 'cause he's a couple inches shorter than me. We noticed that the stock mounting is really hokey, the rubber piece on the bottom wouldn't stay on and the holes that the inside rubber plugs go into are way oversized. It's really a bad setup. HD should be ashamed to do stuff like that. Anyway we made a new windshield for his bike for $25, beats the heck out of paying HD $150+. Ours fits better than the original and holds the rubber in place. The new one we made looks and fits so good I'm tempted to make a new one for mine. The stock one is slotted and will not hold the rubber edge in the corners. Ours just has holes right where they need to be and holds everything where it belongs. He says he can hear his stereo now and his hat stays on and it looks like a touring bike should look.

I know there was another post about this but I couldn't find it again and this is definitely worth passing on.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 AM
DJFireUSA
Cruiser

And this will work just fine until (god forbid) he runs into some thing and is thrown into the shield. Shield shatters or breaks and jagged edges cut him to ribbons.

This (IMHO) is not an area to skimp on. Your money - your life - your kid. Do what you want but it's not for me.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If its lexan it will only bend. That stuff is tough. I know, I tried to break it once. It would just bend.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be sure it is polycarbonate, and not just plexiglass. Others have made this mod work for them too. Good job!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DJFireUSA
And this will work just fine until (god forbid) he runs into some thing and is thrown into the shield. Shield shatters or breaks and jagged edges cut him to ribbons.

This (IMHO) is not an area to skimp on. Your money - your life - your kid. Do what you want but it's not for me.
The original WS is Lexan. They make funny car bodies out of it. I'm sure it'll do just fine as a WS. I made a shorty for my EG for cruising around town.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 AM
allisonxtb
5th Gear
Wink great ideas thanks all

Post #2 for a newbe wish i could see pics.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Tilt96
Novice

Originally Posted by allisonxtb
Post #2 for a newbe wish i could see pics.
try logging out to view them. I don't know why but when I didn't have enough posts to see the pic and my session expired I was able see them so until I got my posts above 5 I think I just logged out and open the link in a new window. I know it's a pain and I don't know why unregisted users could see images but registered one couldn't until they had 5 posts.

by the way welcome to the forums. you picked a good thread to watch. very good ideas here. I suggest reading the whole thread it does take some time but you could miss some of the gems that are in here.

then again looking back a the beginning which is over 4 years old... some pics might not be around still.

cheers!!

Last edited by Tilt96; 04-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$