Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 PM
rustybearing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=FLHTCU2007Ken;9042477]That's a great idea with awesome innovation but the edges are still susceptible to rust. I drag the left one most every day??? Steel rusts. How do we stop it?

Here's my solution for draggin' the boards. Was a motor cop for a long time and these were on all the bikes. The mechanics changed them almost as often as the oil. Get some angle iron and attach a piece to the underside of each board. I used an existing hole and pop rivets. A plus is in the dark you get a nice light show.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02887.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02889.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02890.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by rustybearing:
Narddog (12-14-2022), Ndfastln (04-10-2016)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just finished reading every post here. Some pretty good stuff, but I feel really, really inadequate because I don't have an automatic garage door opener.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

Time to find that extra garage door remote.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Garage door remote?? Hell, I don't even have a garage. Guess I'll just settle for my shed.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM
snoozeworm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great ideas guys

Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Default Hinged older hard bags?

Has anyone tried to add or fabricate a set of hinges on older non-hinged hard bags? I'd like to hinge mine as they're kinda a PITA to mess with otherwise.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
crewser
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY K&N Filter

DIY K&N FILTER

Don't know if anyone has done this, I got the idea from my Dad....

What I did was:

Step 1: I gathered my tools and materials.

Once the filter was off the bike I used a Grinder with a Zip Cut Blade and a Propane torch. I decided to go with automotive seam and joint sealer to install the K&N element. I used a K&N filter from my last bike a Honda VTX1300. My father used one from a car, he re-folded the pleats to fit the Harley housing

Step 2: Took my OEM filter off the bike.

Step 3: Used a propane torch to remove the stock filter element (this will make it replaceable if you ruin the K&N). I applied gentle pressure on the housing. I heated the metal housing with light passes of the torch until the glue released.

Step 4: Mocked up the filter housing with the spacers in place and measured the inside diameter of where the filter sits.

Step 5: Cut the filter material from the K&N filter to the measurement from step 4.

Step 6: The filter is like a spring and tries to jump out of the housing. I used a coat hanger to hold the K&N in the desired shape for stability. It is a one shot deal getting the new filter in the housing.

Step 7: I used seam sealer to hold the spacers in place. Then I filled the recessed portion of both halves of the housing.

Step 8: Placed one half of housing on table, placed preformed filter from step 6 in housing, placed other half on top (watch the spacers). I pressed the housing together and placed a weight on the top.

Step 9: Allow 24 hrs to cure

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0782.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_0783.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
rustybearing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For the touring dipsticks

Picked up an '07 SG a while back and being an old guy, I was having trouble unscrewing the dipstick,my grip isn't what it used to be. I saw a tool advertised for $20 to do the job but I like making things. Here's my solution. Start with a 2" pvc coupler. Insert a socket, I used a 36mm, into one end so it doesn't deform. Insert into a vise. Heat with a heat gun. It will take no more than a 10 count to soften the plastic. Insert the dipstick and apply a putty knife to form to the dipstick. Let it cool. Continue until all sides have been formed. Whole lot easier to remove the dipstick now. Pics attached in order.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02891.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02895.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02897.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02899.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc02894.jpg  

Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by rustybearing
Picked up an '07 SG a while back and being an old guy, I was having trouble unscrewing the dipstick,my grip isn't what it used to be. I saw a tool advertised for $20 to do the job but I like making things. Here's my solution. Start with a 2" pvc coupler. Insert a socket, I used a 36mm, into one end so it doesn't deform. Insert into a vise. Heat with a heat gun. It will take no more than a 10 count to soften the plastic. Insert the dipstick and apply a putty knife to form to the dipstick. Let it cool. Continue until all sides have been formed. Whole lot easier to remove the dipstick now. Pics attached in order.
Ingenious. I reckon if a dipstick was really hard to get off you could put a hole on each side on top of the coupler to stick a long screwdriver or something of the like through the holes to use as a leverage turner.

Last edited by dawg; 02-26-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Default Cheap LED Tail/Stop Conversion

I started with a 4 inch LED Tail/Stop light from the A/P store, about 12 bucks.
Name:  ledtaillightconv1.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  48.6 KB

I cut the red plastic from the back and shaped it.........
Name:  ledtaillightconv2.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  26.5 KB

........... to fit in my stock tail lamp lense. And used clear silicone to secure it.
Name:  ledtaillightconv3.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  20.6 KB

Here it is hooked up to my sleeping (winter you know) deep cycle battery.
Name:  ledtaillightconv4.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  43.6 KB

Taillight only.
Name:  ledtaillightconv5.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  47.4 KB

Brake light.
Name:  ledtaillightconv6.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  43.6 KB

Working on turn signals now. Should have them done next weekend for about 10 bucks.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$