Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
twoskies
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 flt modded to look newer

1985 flt, battery relocated under seat(sportster battery ytx20hl-bs)1996 gas tank and dash, 1995 side covers, 2001 hard bags, less than $300, i fabricated some brackets and modified some existing mounts,any questions, ask

cant seem to upload pics, when i can ill post

Last edited by twoskies; 01-04-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Stonehedge
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great stuff here.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-08-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lemadre
I can't look a the photo why... i got this message..you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
It's because your Canadian Eh! LOL

Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
BCW567
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorite places to lurk is this DIY HD forum

Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

FLOORBOARD EXTENSIONS,
I had a length of 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar stock hanging around in my garage, I cut it into 1" lengths after I drilled the appropriate hole through the center of each piece to extend the floorboard, painted them black then stacked them according to how far I wanted to extend, in my case 3 yielded 3/4" ( 12 pieces). I took my existing Socket head cap screws to Ace and bought 4 more 3/4" longer and bolted it back together. Only cost a few bucks.

Last edited by collin; 01-30-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
collin
Road Captain

True duals, this kit is still a bit pricy (less than others) for what you get as far as parts, but works great, less heat, sounds fantastic...stereo exhaust, easy install. Less torque but I'm not a racer. If I want torque I get on my other bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-E-Performa...item3f1314e799

Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by collin
True duals, this kit is still a bit pricy (less than others) for what you get as far as parts, but works great, less heat, sounds fantastic...stereo exhaust, easy install. Less torque but I'm not a racer. If I want torque I get on my other bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-E-Performa...item3f1314e799
Can you use use your existing shields with this kit?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
collin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Javieret
Can you use use your existing shields with this kit?
Yes, it eliminates the Y pipe and you use the existing straight shields. If you have stock mufflers they may have to be changed as from what I understand they may be baffled differently right and left, also I installed a fuelpak to eliminate decel popping.

This is how it looks:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...y/IMG_2156.jpg

Last edited by collin; 02-03-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Todd7446
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Strip Lights - Tour Pak

Originally Posted by bogiediver
Those are bright little buggers, aren't they. I used the same LED strips, in red, to repair my saddlebag latch lights (since HD quit making them).

Alternative wiring thought... tap into the running light circuit in the Tour-Pak with a surface mounted switch (so the LEDs aren't on when the top is closed)...

Those strips can be cut every 3 LEDs (2") - if you're good at soldering, you could also light up the saddle bags... Solder leads on a couple of 2" or 4" strips, stick the LEDs under the Tour-Pak (near the front corner on each side) or under the fender supports (about mid-way of the length of the saddlebags), run the wire into the Tour-Pak and into the same switch. Hit the switch and light up all three bags.

And, of course, you could wire to the battery for light even without the bike on - as long as you're good at remembering to turn them off - which should be easy since you'd see the lights for the saddle bags even after closing... (the good news - these LEDs could probably run for days without affectng the battery).

Great idea and less $$ the the HD version...
I've got four of the LED strip lights described in post #822, and what Bogie mentions above. I'm going to mount two in the Tour Pak lid for down and rearward lighting and one on the outside bottom of each side of the Tour Pak for light into the saddlebags. I'm going to wire them to an always hot source, and use a magnetic switch - security alarm switch - like this to turn on & off whenever the Tour Pak lid is opened and closed.

Just posting an add-on to an already great idea.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM
2manytoys
Tourer

I posted this earlier today elsewhere but thought i should repost it in the DIY thread.

For a few bucks and a trip to the hardware store you can convert your short passenger backrest to a drivers backrest in 10 minutes or less.

I loaned my C&C solo seat with backrest to a friend who wanted to try it out for awhile. The weather turned nice and I wanted to ride but needed a backrest. The 2012 CVO Street Glide seat has no provisions for a drivers backrest so I made my own. I reversed the pad on my short passenger backrest and mounted the upright backwards on the shock mount. Then removed the mounting bolt of the front saddle bag support and installed a stainless steel turn-buckle using a 1/4" by 1" bolt. Bolted detachable spools from a leftover detachable mount to the other end of the turn buckle and presto! It has a little forward movement on the shock mount but is solid as a rock when leaned against. Doesn't look too bad in a pinch.
Here is a link to that thread with parts list needed.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...o-problem.html

Last edited by 2manytoys; 02-03-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added link

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$