Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Maury
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

one way to help prevent rust is use gun bluing, clean the area well and apply several times to protect as needed. Should add...this works for scraped chrome too.
Cheers,
Maury

Last edited by Maury; 11-22-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM
KD101
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Since this appears to be the GDO thread... :-P

I didn't want my opener to be a permanent fixture on the bike because I like to use it in my car during the winter. This is a quick mod on a windshield bag, as the fellas that have them know the corners of the outside pockets are almost worthless. This is a good way to use that space. I will skip the parts on how to wire up the remote.

1 - Figure out what size your momentary switch will be
Name:  DSC03244.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  46.6 KB

2 - Find a ferrel about the same size
Name:  DSC03247.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  44.9 KB

3 - Use a 6in C-clamp and the correct size ferrel to make a hole in the windshield bag
Name:  DSC03249.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  69.8 KB

4 - Shove the momentary switch and wires in the hole. Attach retaining nut on the backside (ask the ole lady for help if she has smaller hands).
Name:  DSC03251.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  48.8 KB

5 - Attach the male end of the connector to the wires from the momentary switch.
Name:  DSC03253.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  78.0 KB

6 - Plug the two connectors together
Name:  DSC03255.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  69.3 KB

7 - Tuck the whole set up into the pocket. The remote is easily removable for use in the car, change batteries or for security reasons.
Name:  DSC03262.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  51.4 KB

Sorry to take part in the beating of the GDO. I have spent the last week reading all 93 pages of this thread and hadn't noticed anyone go this route. Great forum and I hope that I can contribute to the info.

The following users liked this post:
Narddog (12-14-2022)
Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 PM
bo_bo100
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v

no batteries for me, ive already had the remote die in the middle of winter. either a dead battery or a being out in the cold to long.
i prefer to have mine wired right to the bike.
POLAR BEARS NJ

bo

Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Tonus
6th Gear
Default turn signal mods

Do you have one of the chrome plates around the radio and idiot lights?? Have trouble seeing the turn signal/bright light/neutral lights? I put extra indicators into the speaker bezels to help with the turn signals. $9.99 for the flexible LEDs and about 45 minutes. Start by taking off the outer fairing, locate the speaker dishes,,drill a 1/16 hole to run the wire, then clean the underside of the dish with alcohol. Peel the 3M tape off the light and stick where you want them. Wire into your turn signal harness and run a ground wire. Simple,,easy and will give the motorist beside you a little more warning. lights are from Auto-zone.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-0307-008.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-0307-007.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-0307-009.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-0307-010.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
electrabagger03
1st Gear
Default Powder coating?

Hello guys. I'm new to this site, i've got an 03 Electra standard and of course it has the grey motor which I'm not a big fan of and was wondering if anyone has had any luck in powder coating the jugs and cases and left the polished parts polished, i've got the front forks at the powder coater now but want to make the motor black, any suggestions would be awesome, thanks in advance. Kyle

Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by electrabagger03
Hello guys. I'm new to this site, i've got an 03 Electra standard and of course it has the grey motor which I'm not a big fan of and was wondering if anyone has had any luck in powder coating the jugs and cases and left the polished parts polished, i've got the front forks at the powder coater now but want to make the motor black, any suggestions would be awesome, thanks in advance. Kyle

Yes you can have the motor pc'ed. The wrinkle black harley uses is pc. There is a sup forum here in the general hd tech forum for paint and powder coat. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/powde...and-paint-154/ If you go there and start a thread you'll get your answers. There is a forum sponsor here that is outside of Chicago (Elgin area) that does some asesome PC work. His name is Joe, screen name is JRK5892. He'll get you hooked up.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
flyboy1220
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I would use a 7809 voltage regulator instead of the diodes. Or if you need a different voltage you can use an LM 317 for a different voltage. Few parts are needed and it's simple to build just google "how to build a power supply using a 7809" or whatever device you wish to use.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 PM
flyboy1220
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cep10SG
Ok, I know the garage door opener has been beat to death. for those of you luky enough to have a 12 volt opener, congrats! very easy install. For the moment, I'm stuck with a crappy nickle sized battery in mine but, i am looking around for something useable. it can still be done with the one i have as other have done, but i would like to forget about changing batteries. ideas anyone??
You can use an LM2937 voltage regulator to convert 12 to 3 volts or use an LM 317 from Radio Shack to get different output voltages. Just go to http://www.lm317-circuits.com/ for a diagram
Tommy

Old 12-19-2011, 02:02 PM
lemadre
5th Gear

I can't look a the photo why... i got this message..you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lemadre
I can't look a the photo why... i got this message..you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I believe there is a five post minimum before you can see the pictures or what not.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$