Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
byoung3355
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spence222
Just eliminated the plate bar on my 06 Ultra.....and now I can't decide on where to locate my plate??? I know I should've planned this ahead of time, but I didn't think this would be a tough decision....the only real option I like is a set up with a bracket coming off the rear fender tip light with the plate above it....but damn! $160. for that set-up!! I"m sure many of you have run across this same problem.....with so many DIY's here, I figure someone has got an idea I could use.............Thanks Guys!

Yes...I have duals
i have the same thing done to my king. i went on ebay and searched license plate relocation. found a cheep little plate that puts it under the tail light. mounts through the holes in the fender that the wires for the turn signals run. no drilling, comes with hardware, looks good, took about 45 min start to end (1-3 beers depending on your personal consumption ). did have to buy some small license plate bolt lights to be legal

http://thumbp2-ne1.thumb.mail.yahoo....0&httperr=1oks

Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

This isn't really a DIY, but more of a little tip. I got a small thick plastic zip lock bag (the kind used for small parts) and got some adhesive Velcro. I keep my registration and insurance in the bag and have it stuck to the inside of the lid on my right saddle bag. That bag is typically locked 95% of the time anyways as it only stores my rain suit and other rare items that I use. The leftis my every day storage saddle bag. I only really put stuff in the right as an over flow, so I don't have much worry about anyone snatching my personal info.

Name:  Bike035.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  Bike034.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  69.5 KB

Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by misterpic
Check my garage...I've done done it with both my 05 and my 08 bikes (blue and red)
You missed a spot...LOL....I did the same but only to the console to get rid of that black seal around the bottom, now its all chrome against my red bike. Looks much better, and after seeing yours, Will be doing the rest of the bike this winter.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by misterpic
Check my garage...I've done done it with both my 05 and my 08 bikes (blue and red)
Looks good...I used the same stuff to elliminate that black seal at the bottom of the console on my red ultra...After seeing yours, I will do the rest this winter

Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Think there is some confusion on my light mod. I did not paint the lens'. They are the smoked lens from HD. I painted the backs of the lights themselves. They are no less reflective than the stock surface in my opinion.

I cannot see a loss in light. They are as bright as my "brightasslight" taillight. They are just as bright as my buds side by side.

Far as my GDO mod. I took a photo finally. Took $3.00 worth of velcro, one zip tie (backup tether) and about 2 minutes work. Weatherproof to boot.

Saw a post about military installation decal. Mounted mine on the bolt inside the fairing lower. It is right in the gate guards sight when he takes my ID from my left hand.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by mglax13
I keep my registration and insurance in the bag...
Nice tip, but I keep that stuff in my wallet.

1.) if needed it is quick and available

I think Cops like that...

2.) if the saddlebag stays closed, there is no "probable cause" for a further search because they "thought" they saw something or are fishing and wanna give you a hard time.

I do keep copies of my docs in the saddlebags, as well as photos of the docs in a concealed folder on my phone

mike

Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Freeway
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep my reg and ins in a ziploc baggie in a magnetic hide-a-key on the back of my license plate. Nobody gets a peek in my bags w/out a warrant. It confused the hell out of the last cop who pulled me over but wouldn't let me get off the bike to get it:

"It's WHERE???"
On the back of the license plate.
"The license plate?"
Yes.
"On the back?"
Yes, on the back.
"There's nothing there."
Yes there is, it's there. If you'll let me get off the bike I'll be happy to get it for you.
"NO!!! STAY ON THE BIKE!!!
Okay, I'll wait. :::sigh..:::

Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Irocandharley88
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by SGLarry
Here's some pics of a diy air horn install. The horn portion fits under the stock cowbell. The compressor gets mounted in the cavity under the seat. Pretty easy and loud too. Cost me around $50. Start off buy getting one of these:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/ Stebel Compact Nautilus Air horns. They even come with a relay. These are the same horns that the Mini-Beast and HD Premium air horn's use. 139 db.

Go to the auto store and get enough rubber fuel line to connect the separated horn and compressor.
Also get a plastic nipple fitting to connect the fuel line to the horn section.
You'll need some heavy gauge wiring and a fuse too connect the compressor and relay to the battery

You can separate the compressor from the plastic horn section and cut off the curved mounting pieces that kept it connected to the compressor housing.Run stock horn wires under the tank and use them to fire the relay. ( This allows you to use the stock horn button.)

I ground off some of the plastic horns "flare" to keep it from "peeking" out from under the cowbell, the zip tied it under the cowbell from the backside.

I just finished this mod on my 06 EG. Once I had all the pieces assembled it took about an hour to install. I didn't trim the plastic pieces that "peeked out" from under the cowbell because they aren't that noticeable, but I might in the future. I wanted to retain the stock look and with the exception of the black fuel line running to the cowbell, this mod does that. Be forewarned - this horn is loud!! If you fire it in the garage, your ears will ring for some time. I haven't had a chance to try it out on the road, but I have no doubt that it will be heard loud & clear. Many thanks to you SGLarry for the tip.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Kozak1951
Stage I
Default Rebuild of Rear Master cylinder

I had an issue with my rear master cylinder on my '07 Geezer Glide (FLHTC), it started leaking. A call to my local HD dealer quoted me $60 for a rebuild kit. Check a couple of catalogs $53+shipping. Took it apart. Went to NAPA and bought a $0.58 O-ring. The umbrella seal was in good condition. Honed the cylinder with scotchbrite and my cordless drill. Works good. Saved $. Thought I would share. Just completed a coast to coast road ride in Fl.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM
scootinz
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Wanted to do the garage door opener to the high beam switch. This question was raised in another thread and was a concern of mine. Some of the old openers were 12V but mine is not. It is a 3V coin battery in mine. Posted this in that thread:

Originally Posted by ultraultra
I hear about a lot of people hooking the opener to the headlight switch... question for you.. when you are riding with the high beams on, aren't you activating the circuit, and running the opener as well?
My door opener is a liftmaster commercial opener and when I split the remote it operates on a 3V lithium coin battery. I just ran a time delay relay between the high beam and the remote. This way when I am running the high beam I am not killing the battery on the remote.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$