Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:33 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pretz
Heres a cheap method to solve the red light issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAac...feature=relmfu

The guy in the video used magnets with 12 lbs of pulling force, that seems like it would over power the magnetic plugs in the oil pan and the primary and prevent the metal shavings from attaching to them. If you had this:http://www.kjmagnetics.comproddetail.asp?prod=BCC8E epoxy coated magnet that pulls 34 lbs where would you place it, maybe on the swing arm? I'm wondering how far the magnetic field reaches, anyone have some thoughts on that?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am sitting at a red light and the lights skips my side I simply run it when a safe opportunity arises. That's cheaper than magnets!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 AM
98Ultra
Road Master

Originally Posted by AbnMP13
If I am sitting at a red light and the lights skips my side I simply run it when a safe opportunity arises. That's cheaper than magnets!
and in N.C., after waiting 3 minutes, it is legal to do. Three minutes is a long time to wait, if you ask me.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool You can f things up with magnets

magnets can cause many problems. ones that are difficult to predict.
when you get into powerful magnets you can totally f yourself up.
not saying this is the case in this application, just saying magnets are not as harmless as they appear.
The way you can "see" a magnetic field is to spread iron filings on a piece of cardboard or any non ferrous material even the kitchen table will work. hold the magnet below the filings and gradually move the magnet closer you will see the filings start to form in a circle or whatever the magnets field "looks" like. can easily tell how close you can get to sensitive equipment. I can't see what a strong magnetic field real far forward would hurt especially if you set the field far enough away from electronics and motor like under the fender tip or maybe integrated into the axle covers..
I like this idea and I am going to experiment will return with my discoveries.
going to experiment on my bicycle for starters...
Cheers

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-worksman2.jpg  

Last edited by mrnone; 08-15-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrnone
magnets can cause many problems. ones that are difficult to predict.
when you get into powerful magnets you can totally f yourself up.
not saying this is the case in this application, just saying magnets are not as harmless as they appear.
The way you can "see" a magnetic field is to spread iron filings on a piece of cardboard or any non ferrous material even the kitchen table will work. hold the magnet below the filings and gradually move the magnet closer you will see the filings start to form in a circle or whatever the magnets field "looks" like. can easily tell how close you can get to sensitive equipment. I can't see what a strong magnetic field real far forward would hurt especially if you set the field far enough away from electronics and motor like under the fender tip or maybe integrated into the axle covers..
I like this idea and I am going to experiment will return with my discoveries.
going to experiment on my bicycle for starters...
Cheers
Great, let us know what you used and how it turns out. Cool bike by the way. I tried to make one of those when I was 10, never did get it together.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Thresher
Intermediate
Default Garage door opener

Saw the garage door opener mod on here and did it last night. Used a small keychain remote that used a 12v battery, soldered a wire between the push button contacts to keep it on all the time. soldered a wire to each of the battery connectors (removed the battery). Pulled the headlight popped the plastic cover on the headlight connector to expose the push-on terminals and soldered the wire from the positive side of the remote to the white wire at the headlight connector and the negative wire to the black wire at the headlight connector. Zip tied the remote in the housing. Now when I flip the Hi-beam switch on the garage door opens, since the switch is now the 12volt source I will never need to replace a battery. Wouldn't have thought of the hi-beam switch, Thanks for all the info!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Cep10SG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I know the garage door opener has been beat to death. for those of you luky enough to have a 12 volt opener, congrats! very easy install. For the moment, I'm stuck with a crappy nickle sized battery in mine but, i am looking around for something useable. it can still be done with the one i have as other have done, but i would like to forget about changing batteries. ideas anyone??

Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Cep10SG
Tourer

AGH, I friggen caved in and did the garage door opener mod, Dam voices in my head telling me to do it.... Anyway, now i have 2 working garage door openers since i figured out how to program the one that was sitting in my tool box. I guess i was that bored after washing my truck i was looking for something else to do. another reason i hate taking 2 wks vacation. i find crap to do when it's almost time to go back to work.

Last edited by Cep10SG; 08-17-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: text
Old 08-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Thresher
Intermediate

Hey Cep10sg, this is a post from "the Stinger" found it while looking for posts on the Radio Shack siren, hope it helps with the battery issue!

"Heres a suppliment for people wanting to add the GDO mod to their bike but...never want to change the battery again.

Use a LM7809 voltage regulator in place of your 9v battery. This device regulates the 12V from your "switched" side of your battery to the 9v that most garage dor openers require for use. Its small and SIMPLE to wire in. This will allow you to hide the remote anywhere forever and not have to replace a battery.

There are 3 poles on the bottom the the device, an input (12v+ pin 1) an out (9v+ pin 3) and a ground (- pin 2)
With the flat tab laying down, and facing away from you the pins are labeled as left to right 1,2,3
Heres a pic.

cost is around $1 dollar (how much was that 9 volt battery?) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...artnumber=7809

Simply solder the 12v from the SWITCHED side of your on off keyswitch to pin 1, ground to pin 2 (this also will jumper over to your garage door opener black wire) , and the output to your opener red wire.
Would always be a good idea to add .5 amp fuse on the 12V+ input wire.

Hope this helps everyone!"

Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Cep10SG
Tourer

Thresher,
Thanks for the info, i've been looking at it and it's pretty helpful. i would like to find something to modify the 3V battery so now i'm looking for either a 9 or 12 volt opener, i hope it'll work but for now it's cool, i can deal with my temporary fix.

-Cep

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$