Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 AM
mccfeebee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a docking station with passenger backrest installed before I took delivery of my Road King Classic. No hinge stop kit was installed and I was not told about the screw from the docking point hitting the saddlebag lid when the backrest is removed. Needless to sayI ended up with a mark on the lid from the screw. Backrest on, no problem, so now when I remove the backrest I cover the docking point with a7/8" black rubber foot that I sanded the bottom of smooth. It allows full access to the bags and leaves no mark. I just toss it in the saddlebag when the backrest is on. Home Depot has these feet in black and white for about $1.00. Hope this helps someone !

Last edited by mccfeebee; 08-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:15 AM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cep10SG
hello everyone. I just got here, but i made my own LED brake light for my fatboy and even made a few for friends (i spent about 20-30 bucks on parts)., but have to wait 4 days.
Hi. Great idea. Any pics ?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Shotgun Marker lights!

Originally Posted by DaSarge
For those of you who are or wanting to experiment with LED arrays, I've used this calculator before when I created my own LED taillight on my previous chopper.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

There are even companies out there that will make a couple printed circuit boards complete with drilled holes and solder traces already ran for fairly inexpensive.

I have to look at my schematics to see how I did it but there is a way to make standard LEDs dual intensity so they were being used as both running & brake lights. I'm not positive but I think what I did was take the incoming voltage (13V) and divide it in half and use that number in the calculator. All I know is when I got done with it I couldn't even look at it when full power was applied it was so bright.
I've been overseas for 25 months (still am) and I have purposefully not paid attention to things motorcycle for a while. Did at first and it was like waiting for Christmas for two years so I stopped. Going home soon and thinking about all of the things I wanted to do to the Marshmallow. Getting rid of the grab rail is a priority DIY mod and I want to put lights in there. Your link provided the source for my project THANKS!! Also thinking about wiring some white LED's into the saddlebags and putting momentary switches so they turn on when you open the bag. Can't wait to get the soldering iron out!!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Rockybar
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Egras2k
Only done a couple mods to my Ultra Limited so far.

First mod, I velcro'd a keychain garage door opener under the switch housing on the left side. I reach my finger under there to open the garage as I approach the house. When the forks are locked to the left, you cannot get your finger under there. Saved a bunch of time and money.

Second mod, I HATED seeing the orange bulbs after I installed smoked lens's. I used black BBQ paint on the inside cups of all 4 turn signals and the fender tip light. It darkened the back area behind the bulbs when they are off so I cannot see orange anymore. NOTE: I chose BBQ paint cause of its high temperature rating. Didn't want regular paint cracking up or catching fire from the heat.

I did something very similar to this, But I removed my finder tip lights, sanded the part #s off with 220, then 800 and painted with Duplicolor Blackout kit (over reduced black paint) and they look awesome. Did my turn signals but yet to install.

My other MOD, was I had 3 windshield that came with my bike, running the black 3.5" and had a scratched up 10" clear... Traced my 3.5" onto the 10" and cut with a jigsaw with the proper blade. Sanded and buffed out sctraches and now into a clear 3.5" for nothing other than time...

Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Heres a cheap method to solve the red light issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAac...feature=relmfu

Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

The above post describes mounting magnets on your bike to trigger the inductive loops at signals.

I have a magnets IN the left side heel on my riding boot- as I come to the light, I hang my foot over the seam where the loop is.
Should I get stuck at the light, I can move my foot back and forth, further disturbing the current in the loop.

i find this more effective than mounting the magnets on the bike.

Mike

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Installing H-D Oil Cooler Kit:

Mine came with the "no adhesive" gasket, I used gasket shellac to mount the gasket to the adapter ( in the correct position) waited about 30 minutes then installed with no concerns about the gasket slipping or rotating out of place.

- as pointed out to me by another Rider, if you don't have a 7/16" allen tool, just use a bolt with a 7/16" head run some nuts onto it, and use that for your tool, turning it with a 7/16" socket

mike

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Locomotive13
Novice

I posted on another thread but thought this was a good fit here too...

My no cost solution to “new” handlebars. I had the front end of my Electra Glide torn apart to tighten the head bearings and decided to move my bars up. I moved them to 1/16” from the inner faring. I have to tell you this is the absolute best mod I have ever done. It’s like a new bike! The grips block the mirrors a little but no complaints here!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Locomotive13
Novice

I posted on another thread but thought this was a good fit here too...

My no cost solution to “new” handlebars. I had the front end of my Electra Glide torn apart to tighten the head bearings and decided to move my bars up. I moved them to 1/16” from the inner faring. I have to tell you this is the absolute best mod I have ever done. It’s like a new bike! The grips block the mirrors a little but no complaints here!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
DMC1
Cruiser
Default 2012 SG Mods

Not many mods to the SG yet. Just added shift linkage I fabricated and the derby that Story808 made for me.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-100_2121.jpg  

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$