Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Brian,

I have the HD Street Glide long tank console on my bike that HD offered as an accessory for '07 and older models (and didn't want to replace it with the shorter EG Ultra tank console), and used the Boom Audio Music and Intercom kit to install CB, etc. The kit comes with a clip to install the rider headset connector supplied with the kit on the gas tank just in front of the seat rather than replacing the tank console with one that accommodates the headset connector. So, I never had a headset connector in the tank console.

On '08 and newer models HD seems to use a standard tank console with a removeable insert to accommodate the rider headset. Check the parts book for the insert used on the EG Classic. Also, check the harness length to confirm that it will have enough length to reach the mid frame air deflector; otherwise, you'll need to extend the wires (similar to extending handlebar switch wires when installing apes).

I just completed a 1600 mile ride to and from Rolling Thunder in D.C. and used the connector for the entire trip, plugging and unplugging the headset numerous times, and the re-located connector worked like a champ.

Carl
Thanks Carl as you can see I have a 08 Ultra, and the connector is in the console. I checked the spot out after reading your thread where you installed the connector and I rather like it in the console than in the heat sheild. I bought the new boom heatset, mike and speakers and the cord is a little longer which works better than the older one that came with the bike.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default startup bang, shutter, kick back mod

07 ultra with stock compensator. I had the startup turbulence (bang, shutter, kick back) as well as the at stop shutter. So google comes back with replace the stock compensator with an SE compensator. $250 plus labor if you take it to the stealer. 250 plus 40 plus time if you do it yourself. the 40 is a grind mod that the SE compensator needs (I know, mod the mod). Having seen this shutter in other realms on other vehicle types decided to give this a try. The stuff on the left is call LubeGuard (red type). Its an ATF additive. So in goes the ATF, plus the LubeGuard. 1 QT ATF plus 4 oz's LubeGaurd (33oz+4oz) bringing it pretty close to the target 38oz's needed in the Primary. No more startup turbulence, no more at stop shutter. Bike shifts well and there's no chain roar like you would get with 10W40W. Nice smooth startup. Just my experiences. Research pros and cons about ATF and ATF types before deciding to try this. Don't use LubeGuard black or green type, black and green are friction modifiers.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-compensator_bang_shutter_fix.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 AM
jacsul
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SG Cup Holder; Cheap

Got the idea from a forum member. Cost less than $25.00. Holds just about anything.

http://www.ridepdw.com/goods/cargo/bar-ista%E2%84%A2

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-001.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-006.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-002.jpg  

Last edited by jacsul; 06-18-2011 at 04:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Medevack1 (09-12-2022)
Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 PM
chrisu
Advanced

Here's a couple I did to my new Road Glide

Name:  2011-06-21_213612.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  41.4 KB
Removed my heel shifter and made a spacer out of stainless

Name:  2011-06-21_213548.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  49.4 KB
Moved my horn from the left side and hid it under the panel on the right side under the brake distribution block

Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 AM
ksnell1
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Radio Shack Siren

Couldn't believe my new Road King didn't come with siren. After reading this site stopped at RS to buy a siren and they said they do not carry them anymore, had them show me anything that made noise and there they sat in the cabinet. Less than $6 and a couple minutes and works like a charm. Only concern might be how weather proof the siren is, of coarse I have no plans to be in the rain with it.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
shacktownrider
Stage IV

Hey Guys,
I hard wired two leads to PC board of Craftsmen remote, the connected wires to unused accessory switch on '99 RK. I hid the remote in the headlight nacelle. to open or close garage door simply flip accessory switch off/on

Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
shacktownrider
Stage IV

Yes, I wired my garage door opener to left acc switch, then hid opener in headlight nacelle

Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default siren has 1000s of miles in rain

dont stress the rain dude. at 6 bux who cares?
mine has 40 thou since I installed it. lot of that was in the rain.mwish I would have installed two. twice as loud.
great mod. easy and cheap just like my women.
Just Kidding
T
Originally Posted by ksnell1
Couldn't believe my new Road King didn't come with siren. After reading this site stopped at RS to buy a siren and they said they do not carry them anymore, had them show me anything that made noise and there they sat in the cabinet. Less than $6 and a couple minutes and works like a charm. Only concern might be how weather proof the siren is, of coarse I have no plans to be in the rain with it.

Calculate the length of the antenna
. The formula for a 5/8 wave antenna using typical 300 ohm "twin lead" is L = 300/f x 5/8 x 1/2; where "L" is the length in meters of the antenna and "f" is the frequency in Mhz of the station to be tuned. This can be simplified to L = 93.75/f.
  • An antenna built for middle of the 88Mhz - 108Mhz FM band (98 Mhz) would be: 0.9566 meters or 95.66 cm (centimeters) long. For those more familiar with imperial units than metric, the formula to convert centimeters to inches is: cm X 0.3937. This means 95.66cm X 0.3937 = 37.66 inches long.
Improve the antenna design. The antenna improvement in this article is a design for a simple 5/8 wave "folded dipole" or "T" shaped antenna. This design will outperform any internal or telescopic rod antenna that may have been supplied with the receiver. It is also similar to those provided with some more expensive home stereo receivers.
  • To improve upon this simple design, simply double, triple, quadruple, etc. this value as such: 37.66" x 2 = 75.32", or 37.66" x 3 = 112.98", and so forth.
  • The 112.98 inch antenna will outperform the 75.32 inch antenna, which outperforms the 37.66 inch antenna.
  • Of course, there is a "point of no return" when the multiple is so great that the signal at the ends of the antenna cannot travel the entire length due to the electrical resistance of the wire. This limit is around 100 meters (a little more than the length of a football field).

Last edited by mrnone; 06-24-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: found data
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM
TIGguy
Novice
Lightbulb Feelin' Stupid

OK, now I'm feelin' stupid. After reading the several posts about adding the Radio Shack siren, it occured to me maybe my RoadKing has a factory alarm!?! Sooo, is the alarm there on my '01 RK and just needs the siren added? I see the alarm icon flash on and off on the speedo, but never thought an alarm was there somewhere.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:11 PM
misterpic
6th Gear

I trimmed out my 2008 Ultra with chrome door trim, Orielly's Auto Parts- $12.00 for 20 feet. It takes alittle time to push it onto all the lips of the trunk and saddle lids, plus the lowers, but it really sharpens up the look.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$