Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts
Default How to: Easy $19 LED lighting in Limited Tour Pak

original post over here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-tour-pak.html

the cigarette lighter works off the switch, so I just put a old ciggy plug in there, and heat shrinked it a lot...

this is an Altena Light strip, $19 from Advance/Auto zone, or $17 in wally world by a different name, same package.

i wanted to do two things: light up the tour pak, and provide a rear ward facing light for emergencies (like stopped on side highway) and to get allow you to get dressed (layered up) in the dark, without having to walk around to the headlight to zip your coat or whatever.

and i wanted to leave room to put a tout pak organizer back inside the lid.

all the pics are here:
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/04vrscb/Limited/

i only used one strip:

initial test:

put the heat shrink halfway on, then fold it back on itself.

then put another peice on, to keep water from getting in the end. you KNOW someone will spill something in there..

closed shot:

lil bracket to help prevent chafing:

The following users liked this post:
HDRetired (11-13-2016)
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default use a $6 O2 extender to richen fuel and reduce heat

first you need this chart to measure your sensor voltage and capture your current fuel mixture

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-screen-shot-2011-05-24-at-9.30.19-pm.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

then you need the $6 dollar extender. two for a vtwin.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-o2extender3_lrg.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

I ordered 4 of them. You can add a washer and drill out the hole to change the sensor exposure, measure the new voltage, use the chart to compute the new fuel mixture.

The only warning....make sure you fully disconnect your sensor cable and guide the wire as you unscrew the sensor. do not attempt to remove the sensor with the cable tied down and connected.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
original post over here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-tour-pak.html

the cigarette lighter works off the switch, so I just put a old ciggy plug in there, and heat shrinked it a lot...

this is an Altena Light strip, $19 from Advance/Auto zone, or $17 in wally world by a different name, same package.

i wanted to do two things: light up the tour pak, and provide a rear ward facing light for emergencies (like stopped on side highway) and to get allow you to get dressed (layered up) in the dark, without having to walk around to the headlight to zip your coat or whatever.

and i wanted to leave room to put a tout pak organizer back inside the lid.

all the pics are here:
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/04vrscb/Limited/

i only used one strip:

initial test:

put the heat shrink halfway on, then fold it back on itself.

then put another peice on, to keep water from getting in the end. you KNOW someone will spill something in there..

closed shot:

lil bracket to help prevent chafing:

Great Ideal, I will have to check this out more.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are bright little buggers, aren't they. I used the same LED strips, in red, to repair my saddlebag latch lights (since HD quit making them).

Alternative wiring thought... tap into the running light circuit in the Tour-Pak with a surface mounted switch (so the LEDs aren't on when the top is closed)...

Those strips can be cut every 3 LEDs (2") - if you're good at soldering, you could also light up the saddle bags... Solder leads on a couple of 2" or 4" strips, stick the LEDs under the Tour-Pak (near the front corner on each side) or under the fender supports (about mid-way of the length of the saddlebags), run the wire into the Tour-Pak and into the same switch. Hit the switch and light up all three bags.

And, of course, you could wire to the battery for light even without the bike on - as long as you're good at remembering to turn them off - which should be easy since you'd see the lights for the saddle bags even after closing... (the good news - these LEDs could probably run for days without affectng the battery).

Great idea and less $$ the the HD version...

Old 05-28-2011, 08:29 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I relocated the rider headset connector used for the CB/Intercom from the gas tank in front of the seat (which is what's provided in the Boom Audio Music and Intercom kit, p/n 77108-09) to the left side mid-frame air deflector (installed deflector kit just for this purpose; kit is p/n 58022-07A). In it's new location, it very inconspicuous, but functional.

Those who don't like the location of the rider headset connector on their Ultras may be interested in doing this mod.

Carl
Carl what did you do about the hole where the headset connect was? at the gas tank?

Thanks Brian

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 PM
ltcurt33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mhN_1AP-4

I don't know if this will work for touring models but if forward controls are on anybody's list here's a DYI vid I just made.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraherbie
Carl what did you do about the hole where the headset connect was? at the gas tank?

Thanks Brian
Brian,

I have the HD Street Glide long tank console on my bike that HD offered as an accessory for '07 and older models (and didn't want to replace it with the shorter EG Ultra tank console), and used the Boom Audio Music and Intercom kit to install CB, etc. The kit comes with a clip to install the rider headset connector supplied with the kit on the gas tank just in front of the seat rather than replacing the tank console with one that accommodates the headset connector. So, I never had a headset connector in the tank console.

On '08 and newer models HD seems to use a standard tank console with a removeable insert to accommodate the rider headset. Check the parts book for the insert used on the EG Classic. Also, check the harness length to confirm that it will have enough length to reach the mid frame air deflector; otherwise, you'll need to extend the wires (similar to extending handlebar switch wires when installing apes).

I just completed a 1600 mile ride to and from Rolling Thunder in D.C. and used the connector for the entire trip, plugging and unplugging the headset numerous times, and the re-located connector worked like a champ.

Carl

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$