Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
thomasbynum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWKen
I have a light fetish. I love bright flashlights, bicycle lights, motorcycle lights, etc. Here's a DYI project that no vendor has yet mass-produced for sale. It works very, very well; except that the LED lamps emit EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) at about 30 mhz. It's not bad, but cuts down the recieve range of the CB radio. I'm trying to create a filter circuit so that the EMI doesn't get out of the fixtures.

The fixtures are old Dyna front turn signal with the guts removed. I made the mounting plates from some scrap stainless that I have in the shop. It's plenty stiff.
The light emitters themselves are brand new technology 6-watt single LEDs. (MR16-W6W White 6Watt LED bulb - Cool White 15 degree MR16-CW6W-C15) I also bought these from superbrightleds.com. They're fairly expensive at almost $40 each, but if the low mount and extremely bright pinpointe lights attract a lefty-turner's attention, the price is cheap.

The left hand lamp isn't mounted yet for these pictures. I had to fabricate the mount because the Dyna left and right turn signals are different. Actually, I believe any of the bullet-shaped fixtures would work fine.
Is this the LED's you used?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s/MR16-W6W.htm
What did you use for a lens?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 PM
bcsnave
Intermediate
Default nice

I like it

Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up a couple packs of black 5/16" plastic plugs to fill the holes where mirrors mount on the bars and in the threaded adjustable holes for the passenger footpegs. They snap in perfectly. Cost $2.50 from Lowes

Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
Picked up a couple packs of black 5/16" plastic plugs to fill the holes where mirrors mount on the bars and in the threaded adjustable holes for the passenger footpegs. They snap in perfectly. Cost $2.50 from Lowes
good idea. Simple and clean

Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
W0ace
Tourer
Talking Rear Speaker Bass Ports

I was about to cut bass ports into my tour pak this last weekend when I discovered they have small holes drilled in the bottom corner of the rear speaker pods for water to drain. I opened that hole to about 1.5" and installed my new speakers. Sound great, cost nothing for a few minutes of time.

For the rear audio guys, you can figure and cut the opening for the speaker based on its specs, I just like that from past experience in my younger days with car audio....

Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced
Default Another Garage Door Opener DIY

OK, I am the king of morons so it idea of cut to fit wire to work a garage door opener will happen in my next life time. I have a 2011 Road Glide Ultra which happen to come with heat shields by the seats, well there was enough room on the inside of the shield to just velcro my opener to it. Yeah yeah it may get too hot there but I'll see, if so I'll die and come back and wire it to the acc switch, for know the cost was zero and the job was like 3 min max (one sip of the can of beer .

If that doesn't work Ill drill a hole put a switch right on shield and but the opener under the seat, something about drilling holes in my fairing doesn't sit right. Thanks big time for all of the DIY's

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigBrainBob
OK, I am the king of morons so it idea of cut to fit wire to work a garage door opener will happen in my next life time. I have a 2011 Road Glide Ultra which happen to come with heat shields by the seats, well there was enough room on the inside of the shield to just velcro my opener to it. Yeah yeah it may get too hot there but I'll see, if so I'll die and come back and wire it to the acc switch, for know the cost was zero and the job was like 3 min max (one sip of the can of beer .

If that doesn't work Ill drill a hole put a switch right on shield and but the opener under the seat, something about drilling holes in my fairing doesn't sit right. Thanks big time for all of the DIY's
I removed my fairing and velcroed the opener to the top of the radio. I then unscrewed the blank switch cover on the left side and removed it. Drilled a hole in the cover and inserted a momentary switch in the new hole. reinstalled the switch cover and connected my wires. And it looks sexy.....

Last edited by pretz; 02-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced

My opener run on 3V so I'm looking at just using a switch of the opener, it's just the soldering those wires on those tiny connections that gets me. So a momentary switch and 12 gage wire is all i need? Who had the part number the the HD rubber reset like switch. Just something to put a momentary short on.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 AM
BenBoosted
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The part number for the switch and rubber boot are in this thread, back a few pages.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member

I used 20 gauge wire and 12 is too thick so the current will not flow evenly. I bought the switch, wire and wire shrink wrap from Radio Shack. I also went to a hobbie shop and puchased a female and male connector used on RC cars and placed it between the momentaty switch and romote control just in case I needed to remove one for repair.

And like Ben said, scroll back a few pages for detailed links.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$