Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

BD, you know I am proud card carrying member of the Moron Charter but I would think all garage door openers run off the same principle. Attached is the web link I used. I bought the 20 gauge wire and momentary switch from Radio Shack and went to a hobby shop to purchase the connector.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,208,00.html

Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, so here is my contribution to this thread.

I created a quick release for my GPS so there are no wires hanging when i leave the bike.

This is what the finished product looks like.

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00075-20101202-1652.jpg

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00077-20101202-1653.jpg

So the items you need are:

GPS your gonna use with cigarette charger
Soldering kit
supplemental 12v charger (aka cig lighter)
electrical tape or heat shrink
some kind of open flame if using heat shrink
1 DC power jack (from radio shack)
1 DC power plug (also from radio shack)
Wire cutters
your choice of silicone
Drill and Drill bit of your choice

I began by removing the seat, gas tank and outer fairing.

Easily plug in the supplemental 12v charger to your accessory plug under the seat.

I then wrapped both the plug and charger in electrical tape for 2 reasons:
1. To prevent the charger from vibrating out of the socket.
2. The cig lighter HD sells does not have any kind of rubber sheath or anything, just metal. So i was afraid it would short out if it came in contact with the frame or any other metal.

Next, I popped open the plastic wire housing kit located under the tank and laid the wire on top of the existing wires. I routed the GPS wire through the same location under the fairing as the wire harness for all the fairing electronics.

There should be PLENTY of GPS cord to reach around the back of the radio unit and to the dash board.

You need to cut off the end of the GPS cord (so that you can utilize the end that actually connects to the GPS)

Once you have cut the cord, put the small end somewhere you wont lose it. We will get to that in a few.

Cut the outer sheathing off the GPS cord running from under the seat. It will expose two wires. Red and White in my case.

Cut the sheathing off those as well.

Now for the fun part...... Time to drill a hole in your purdy dash

What I did was use some blue painters tape to be sure i didn't scratch my pride and joy.

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00059-20101201-2030.jpg

Next, do some drillin. My drill bits are all mixed so i don't have the exact size I used, but just be sure not to use too big a bit because there is not much of a "lip" on the DC jack.

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00066-20101201-2228.jpg

Once that is done, time for some silicone to be sure its water proof. Apply at your own discretion. For such a small hole, you don't need much.

After that, push in the DC jack, use the provided nut and washer to tighten it, then wipe away the extra silicone.

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00069-20101202-1628.jpg

I would leave it alone for an hour or so.

During this time, grab the small end of the GPS cord we cut earlier and also the DC plug you purchased from radio shack.

Cut the sheathing like you did earlier.

Unscrew the black top of the DC jack. You'll see two prongs. The center prong is for the power (red) wire and the other prong is for the ground (white) wire.

Before you go soldering - I recommend using the heat shrink. Be sure to cut a piece to be able to connect the wire and to go over the black top of the DC plug.

Just slide the heat shrink over the wire without heating it yet. You cant get it on after you solder the plug to the wire. Also don't forget the black top before you solder as well. Once those pieces are in place, solder.

Screw the cap back on the jack, then pull the heat shrink over the black top. Now heat it up.

I am at the max 5 photos, so continuing in next post............

Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the final product for the small GPS cord.

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00064-20101201-2114.jpg

Now that that is finished, you should be good to go with the silicone drying.

Time to use the same technique to solder the wire to the DC jack.

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00071-20101202-1628.jpg

Don't forget the heat shrink before soldering - you can see mine toward the bottom of the pic.

Once it is connected, pull up the heat shrink and heat.

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00072-20101202-1644.jpg

Before putting everything back together, i would plug in the GPS and see if it shows it is charging. After that, Reassemble and ENJOY!

Now, I know this mod is not for everyone. But it is for me. Some prefer the wires hanging and all, but i don't. I also noticed the GPS cig charger hitting my gas tank when I had it in my cig light on my fairing.

You can also route the DC jack wherever you want. I just like the clean look of this so that's why I chose that spot.

To plug the jack whenever the GPS is not in use to prevent water getting in - I took the second DC plug that you get in the pack and I sealed it really well. Im just gonna use that until i find an easier way.

Hope someone can find this useful.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Marine, that is awesome. Now I need to get busy.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
edude49
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Road Glide Charley
Advanced

Originally Posted by iclick
I was editing my original message above while you were responding, so there's more to the question--but I think you answered it. I assume the impedence increased to 4Ω. How do the tweeters attach, what size hole needed to be drilled, and what did you use to drill it?
When impedence is is placed in series, they add, when they are in parallel, which is the case here, they are divided, netting an impedence of 1.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
timbo1754
5th Gear
Default 06 Street Glide

I am wanting to upgrade my faring speakers with better speakers and amp... My question is does the factory harmon kardon stereo have the rca outputs for the amp?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo1754
I am wanting to upgrade my faring speakers with better speakers and amp... My question is does the factory harmon kardon stereo have the rca outputs for the amp?
Welcome, you would be better off asking this question as a post of it's own in the touring section as opposed to in this thread.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 AM
wheelsnkeels
Cruiser

Originally Posted by timbo1754
No on RCA jacks but the kits by J&M are plug and play

Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
HDnutcase
Intermediate
Default Hog Tunes

Originally Posted by wheelsnkeels
No on RCA jacks but the kits by J&M are plug and play
Hog Tunes has a great plug and play 200 watt amp with speakers. I also added the Hog Tunes speaker dash pad with 2 tweeters for better high frequency response. Awesome sound.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$