Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Motorcycle engines use a pulsating DC generator to charge the battery and operate the engine electrical components. The voltage stabilizer captures energy during each generator charge pulse, and releases it before the next charge pulse. This provide the stabilizing effect voltage stabilizers are known for.

The voltage stabilizer can be connected at various points on your bike. I have mine under my seat forward of the battery on my Harley Ultra Classic.

The Voltage stabilizer connects to the positive side of your battery or at any point on the 12V side of your electrical system.

I used a high quality, high speed, vibration tolerant electrical component using film technology.
Isn't this the same function performed by the regulator? Smoothing and controlling system output?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
Isn't this the same function performed by the regulator? Smoothing and controlling system output?

no it's not. the regulator, regulates the voltage during the charge pulse. The regulator has no energy storing capability that can store some of the unneeded energy during the charge pulse and release it before the next charge pulse. in between charge pulses, a non stabilized electrical system is running off the battery.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM
bdbaggr
Intermediate
Default opener instructions

okay you guys are from a galaxy far , far, from mine. i can build just about anything with a compound mitre saw, but i go straight to brain lock with the electrical stuff. thanks for your pointers but ill stick my opener in the glove box. tim

Old 11-19-2010, 08:21 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bdbaggr
okay you guys are from a galaxy far , far, from mine. i can build just about anything with a compound mitre saw, but i go straight to brain lock with the electrical stuff. thanks for your pointers but ill stick my opener in the glove box. tim
I have to tell you that I am a moron when it comes to wiring crap. But I took a chance and opened up an old garage door opener. I followed the instructions and worked like a champ.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 PM
bdbaggr
Intermediate

hmmm? from one moron to another... you inspire me, plus i do have a plethora of openers. thanks for the moron pep talk. ill give it a shot.

The following users liked this post:
DDRD (11-18-2019)
Old 11-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Ok, this is the final update.

I made some changes to get the max effect.

I used a bevel faucet washer on each side of the pexi. Bevel pointing towards the pexi.

Lower bolt, just used the bevel faucet washers.

Middle bolt, used 2 flat faucet washers along with the bevel set

Upper bolt, used 4 flat faucet washers along with the bevel set.

Pics below.

Like I reported earlier, the parachute effect is gone. Bike runs very straight.
Speakerfritz, quick questions, ... did you change the washers to increase or decrease the gap? Have you noticed any change in air turbulance between you and the dash? And riding in the rain, does the rain get on the dash or on you? I have an 07 but I put the 08 adjustable air deflectors on, Your mod sounds intriguing, just curious about the rain and the turbulance.

Thanks,
Arvid

Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bdbaggr
hmmm? from one moron to another... you inspire me, plus i do have a plethora of openers. thanks for the moron pep talk. ill give it a shot.
Fellow Moron, it will bring a smile to your face...

If you need directions for a Genie let me know and I can find the link for you.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just hooked my 12v genie to the hi/lo beam switch and it works like a charm.

Hit the hi beams just before entering my drive and as soon as I'm close enough the garage door starts opening. I have to wait at least 1.2 seconds after the door starts opening before switching back to lo.

The following users liked this post:
DDRD (11-18-2019)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM
PairadicePaint.com
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

road king with stretched bags?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM
bdbaggr
Intermediate

its a chaimberlan opener, three buttons etc. are they all basically the same? if so run your instructions my way if you would, keeping in mind to dumb down the process for a charter member of the moron gang. thanks!

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$