Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Wynndaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of good ideas .

Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
randytro
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind no more

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

From this thread; I took my garage door opener and wired it to a momentary switch. I secured the opener inside the Batwing, drilled a hole through one of the blank switch covers and inserted the switch. Works like a champ and easy as hell to do.

Thanks for the thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets see; I completed the garage door opener mod with a with a momentary switch ($3.69 for switch, already had an extra garage door remote). I have completed the foot board 1 inch extension mod with a few old bushings found around the garage and some grade 8 bolts bought from a local hardware store (Less than $7.00 for all the grade 8 bolts). I completed the driving light mod, so they work with your high beams (Free - had the connectors, heat shrink and solder in my tool box). I completed the base sticker mod (this was the most expensive mod by far..... cost me a big ole farkin dent in my front fender and a few tears). I need help...... can a paint-less dent remover guy pull a mild crease from something like a fender and also from my brothers in arms, I need some good ideas on where and how to mount a base sticker without causing a big ole farkin dent.

Last edited by MSgt Rose; 09-24-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
I have completed the foot board 1 inch extension mod with a few old bushings found around the garage and some grade 8 bolts bought from a local hardware store (Less than $7.00 for all the grade 8 bolts). I completed the driving light mod, so they work with your high beams (Free - had the connectors, heat shrink and solder in my tool box). I completed the base sticker mod (this was the most expensive mod by far..... cost me a big ole farkin dent in my front fender and a few tears). I need help...... can a paint-less dent remover guy pull a mild crease from something like a fender and also from my brothers in arms, I need some good ideas on where and how to mount a base sticker without causing a big ole farkin dent.
Top,
1.) What type of bushings did you use to extend the floorboards out? I have thought about this same thing, but wasn't sure what to use for bushings. 2.) I run security for a Navy base and we don't care where you place your base sticker as long as it is "attached" to your bike. I took a piece of aluminum flat stock from the public works metal scrap bin and cut it a little bigger than what my decal size was. I bent it about 15 degrees so that it would not sit flush against the brake caliper. I drilled holes the same size as my brake caliper bolts, I removed 1 bolt and replaced the bolt without tightening it down, I removed the other bolt and replaced the bolt tightening each to spec. Works great and doesn't really show until I pull up at the gate and the sentry either sees it or I point to it. Total cost zero dollars.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain

Not really sure where the bushings came from, had them laying around my garage probably for years, luckily they fit perfect with a 3/4" outside diameter and a 3/8" inside diameter and a 1/2" width, so I had to use 2 for each bolt. I forgot to mention that also had to use a piece of steel pipe for the rear of the left hand foot-board. The pipe I used was was 1/2" outer diameter and 1/4" inside diameter. I cut it down to 1" sections and worked great.

Thanks for the idea on using the brake caliper for mounting your base sticker. I will look into modifying a bracket and bolting my current plate to it.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Homemade footrest

Stirrups / footpegs whatever

I found I used my front edge of floorboard as support, after a while heel started hurting..
With my feet on the highway pegs after a while I found myself "pressing hard" with my feet.

I made these and it took all the weight off my foot. work Great
The bitch was polishing the stainless

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-footpeg.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-footpeg-2-.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
Thanks for the idea on using the brake caliper for mounting your base sticker. I will look into modifying a bracket and bolting my current plate to it.
This is what my plate looks like, it is very simple and took no time to make. Just remember to bend your plate so that it doesn't want to sit flush on top of the caliper, it needs to have air moving around it to expel the heat & dust from the pads.
Name:  P9260006.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  74.7 KB

Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gmcretz
This is what my plate looks like, it is very simple and took no time to make. Just remember to bend your plate so that it doesn't want to sit flush on top of the caliper, it needs to have air moving around it to expel the heat & dust from the pads.
Thanks, the pic helps a lot

Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Duc
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if it has been mentioned on a previous page but I cut up my stock airbox and installed a K&N.
Wanted an A/C but couldn't see what the money was all about when my mod looks and breaths the same for the price of a filter.

Last edited by Duc; 10-22-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$