Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:11 AM
yellowtailfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

First and most important - Excellent DYI section. This idea may have been posted, I've been reading through many pages of ideas... thought I'd share.

I have always been frustrated with the stock "unfinished metal" of all the hex bolts holding on engine / transmission parts, etc... Autozone sells high temp spray paint, bought gloss black, started on one side of my engine. I took off two or three bolts at a time from different components, cleaned off bolts, poked holes in a pizza box and pushed the bolts through so threads were completely protected and bolt heads (with washers) were exposed. Couple fast shots of the high temp gloss black spray paint and I'm happy. $6 bucks. Ever price the chrome bolt sets? Um, yeah - right! I love HD but they have enough of my money. (pic attached)

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-black-bolts.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 PM
bikerdaddy
4th Gear

Looks good. Do you have a pattern? How did you get the curve in the high impact acrylic? You don't show a pic that shows how you mounted it to the fairing. Could you post one? Thanks.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New to the forum and enjoying this thread, already completed the alarm siren mod from Radio Shack and looking forward to completing the garage door opener mod using the high beam button. Thanks to all who have posted ideas because I love to tinker.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Default DIY windshield

Here is my attempt at contribution to the DIY thread.

I really liked the looks of the shorty windshield on my 2008 Ultra, just did not like the price tag. So I went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of lexan 24" by 18". The cost was less than $4. This particular piece of lexan was not as thick as the one currently on my bike, but I figured that it would not need to be as heavy duty because it did not have as much surface area.

I started by taking my stock windshield off and traced the bottom onto the new piece of lexan using a Sharpe marker. The only thing that was kind of awkward is that the new piece of lexan does not have a natural curve, so an extra set of hands was nice to hold it in place while tracing it. I than used a trim router to cut the bottom pattern out. For the top edge I just used a paper bag and folded it half and cut out half the arc that I wanted it to be. Once you unfold the paper you have an equal arc on the other side. I than traced the arc onto the new piece of lexan and cut it out using my trim router again.

I cleaned up all the edges with 100 grit sand paper and it looked good enough for me. I than bought some window tint from a local auto parts store, cost about $10. I placed the tint on the lexan and it just looks ok. The reason it looks just ok, is that it has a few bubbles in the tint. On my next attempt, I will probably use spray paint instead. Although I have not tried it yet, I hear it looks pretty nice and you wouldn't have to worry about the bubbles in the tint. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Rick/Desktop/IMG00097-20100827-1555.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Rick/Desktop/IMG00094-20100827-1549.jpg[/IMG]

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00094-20100827-1549.jpg

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img00096-20100827-1554.jpg

Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 PM
wheelsnkeels
Cruiser
Default Garage Remote

OK I confess I did not read all 65 pages but in the first 50 I read an abundance of tips on wiring a garage remote.

I had no Idea there were so many "Engineers" on the forum. As smart guys always over engineer the project?

You can get a standard 3 button remote for under $20 I've found them under $10.

on a Bat Wing bike take a rag with isotropy Alcohol on it and reach under the fairing on the right side inside the fork tubes. Clean an area bout 4" then take double sided tape and attach it to the remote. Remove the covering from the other side of the tape and place the remote inside the fork in the area just cleaned. in a couple years change the battery. No muss no fuss and no wiring?

Hope this helps somebody

Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 PM
brickbat
4th Gear
Default rear shocks

Can you use one of those small portable pumps to inflate the shocks on say, an 09 rkc. Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brickbat
Can you use one of those small portable pumps to inflate the shocks on say, an 09 rkc. Thanks

You probably should NOT use any powered pump. You may be able to put 40lbs in there but it takes very little volume to get the maximum amount of pressure. The amount is so small getting the pump disconnected without letting all the air out is difficult. Even if you don't pop a fitting, getting the right amount of air is pretty much impossible.

I tried a few pumps then gave up and bought the Harley hand pump for about $50. I really did not want to pay that much for a pump, but after spending half the cost just to test others and fail I learned nothing else will work, just bite the bullet and buy one, so I did and should have right from the start. It works very well and easily adjusts to what ever pressure you want. Other than the cost there is not a thing wrong with it.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM
flynng
Advanced
Default Sire Install on an 06 EG

I installed the Radio Shack siren on mine this weekend. Red from siren to brown on bike,,black on siren to green on bike. When I set the alarm it chirps. After that if a shake the bike, it will sound for a second or two and that is all it ever does. Shake it again, same thing. Turn the key on, nothing. Is this the way it is supposed to act. Never could get the siren to sound off non stop for any length of time. Electra glide Ultra Classic 2006.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain

Originally Posted by flynng
I installed the Radio Shack siren on mine this weekend. Red from siren to brown on bike,,black on siren to green on bike. When I set the alarm it chirps. After that if a shake the bike, it will sound for a second or two and that is all it ever does. Shake it again, same thing. Turn the key on, nothing. Is this the way it is supposed to act. Never could get the siren to sound off non stop for any length of time. Electra glide Ultra Classic 2006.

Thanks
Not an expert by any means, and the bike I tested was a 2008 ultra. First, make sure the fob is a good distance away from the bike. I had to take my fob clear to the other side of the house to test my alarm. According to the owners manual, when the bike is raised off the jiffy stand the alarm will make one chirp. If the bike is set back down before 5 seconds the alarm will not go off, however if you keep the bike off the jiffy stand for more than 5 seconds the alarm will go off for up to 5 minutes or until the fob is brought back into proximity of the bike. Hope this helps.....

Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM
flynng
Advanced
Default Thanks, still need help

Mine is an 06, and the fob is not passive. Push and hold to set alarm, push twice quckly to turn off. I just tried shaking the bike, and turning on and off the ignition switch. It would not start but the siren never went off, only chirp real short , 1/2 second at a time. I did not stand it up, left it on the side stand.
Maybe that is the issue????

Thanks for the help..

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
Not an expert by any means, and the bike I tested was a 2008 ultra. First, make sure the fob is a good distance away from the bike. I had to take my fob clear to the other side of the house to test my alarm. According to the owners manual, when the bike is raised off the jiffy stand the alarm will make one chirp. If the bike is set back down before 5 seconds the alarm will not go off, however if you keep the bike off the jiffy stand for more than 5 seconds the alarm will go off for up to 5 minutes or until the fob is brought back into proximity of the bike. Hope this helps.....

Last edited by flynng; 08-31-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: eliminate ambiguity in phrasing.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$