Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Freedom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrap it with aluminum foil so it doesn't rattle in the point cover. 5 t-20 screws keep it safe.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM
RK2003
5th Gear
Smile Dual Freeway Blaster Horns install

3-4 years ago there were a few threads on horn installations. The solution that I installed and have been very pleased with is to add 2 horns in addition to the stock horn. Fiamm Freeway Blaster (1) High Tone #72102 and (1) Low Tone #72112. I mounted one on each side of the rear fender behind the shocks by using the luggage rack/sissy bar brackets. There is not alot of clearence. Wire the horns to just under the seat and tie the wires together. Using a standard 5 post 30-40 amp automotive relay as follows;#86 battery neg/ground, #30 fused wire from+ terminal on battery, #87a wire from additional horns, #87 capped, #85 wire from horn switch. Horn switch wire was tapped under handle bars into yellow wire with black stripe. Keep the stock look and add considerable horn power. Good luck-

Old 07-17-2010, 11:19 AM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giving Oil Cooler Lines a Better Look Cheap

For about $25 you can give your harley premium oil cooler the stainless steel braided hose look. You could even argue there is a functional advantage to this to, as the rubber hose is actually sheathed in a stainless steel braid. This would make holes in your cooler lines pretty impossible (although I don't think there is much danger in that with the stock rubber). Here is an excerpt, and a few pictures from another post I did in another thread. Ride on safe!
-clutch-
PS This is a braided fuel line kit they sell at Pep Boys here in Cali. You'll note the kit only comes with 2 of the "threaded connection look" hose clamp covers. Since you have to cut the 3 foot line down into 2 hoses (you'll have some line left over)...you'll need to buy 2 additional hose clamp covers. The Pep Boys I went to was out of them, so I used 2 I had previously bought at autozone. Those 2 are red/blues anodized...the 2 that came with the kit were chrome. So, I used the chrome covers at the oil cooler connections, and the red/blue anodized at the filter adapter connections. Without further delay, here are the original post extract, and pictures:

"...I went to Pep Boys and bought steel braided line in the performance section ($17 for the 3/8 inch X 3 feet kit) and a couple of extra "dressy looking" screw clamps for it (The kit comes with 2, but you need 4). These clamps make the line connections look like screwed/bolted connections. In reality they are typical screw type hose clamps in disguise. Still, it looks much better than the rubber hose and connections that come with the cooler, and the stainless steel braiding is insurance against holes in your line. I'm attaching pics of this also."

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-p1010012.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-p1010013.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-p1010016.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 02:35 PM
LV_EOD
Advanced

For a no-nonsense doc holder (registration and insurance) I sewed an extra "flap" under the stock saddlebag lid restraint, open on just one side. Perfect place and that stuff is always right there when I need it.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-pouch-1.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-pouch-2.jpg  

Last edited by LV_EOD; 08-08-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer

Originally Posted by rahall
Odometer reset button part number(s):

Switch = 67854-98

Rubber Boot = 67880-94
$14 on Bikebandit.com before shipping; not bad at all.....

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM
SportyDoug
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Ironic 09 does work

Originally Posted by SportyDoug
I received NO JOY when I tried the DIY 2 x 1 Exhaust system tip given in 2007. My scoot a 2005 FLHPI.

The bike came to me used with Python slip-ons in place that exhibited the infamous "pops", so I picked up some use parts for $20.00 and attempted the suggested change. For around town, the idea seemed fine, but after getting on the e-way I found discoloration in the muffler and a loss of mileage.

I used a left and right mufflers as well as a right from a later model King. After drilling many holes in the newer muffler it seemed to stop bluing and my mileage returned to normal, so I seem to have most of the results I wanted, along with a nice exhaust note. However, I still felt that I was creating too much heat with the system.

Using a single Python worked very well but..."pop"

I am just finishing the S&S cam gear change and have to run the Pythons again for a while, as some bozos on eBay, who sold me a set of stock 04 mufflers I wanted, sent me a set of 09 mufflers I did not.

If the Pythons work well after the cam gear work I will leave them on. If not, I will go back to a 3into2 and vent the mufflers I have coming from another eBay source until I get the sound mileage and exhaust note I want - with greatly diminished or unnoticeable pops.

Ride safe.

Doug S.
Silver City, NM
2004 883 Rubster, CA EVO + Tax
2005 FLHPI, Stage1 w/HD re-map
After looking into this issue some more I have found a left side muffler that does work.

Currently I am using a left side stock slash up muffler # 65547-09. Stock, this can is open to a baffle at the end and is lined around the perimeter with what looks to be a steal mesh. I punched 4 holes in the baffle (5/16") and drilled 2 in the end of muffler (3/8"). What was the outside of the muffler, but is now the inside, needs to be dimpled opposite the factory dimple to allow for clearance on the bike.

I am happy with the sound of this muffler and have not experienced a bluing problem, or a loss of fuel mileage.

The irony comes from that fact that I did not look inside the 09 mufflers I ordered from eBay. Despite the dents, scratches, dirt and the fact that they were not what I ordered, it is likely the right side muffler would have worked.

On a side note:
The 510G S&S gear set eliminated the decel and mid-shift backfire and made the exhaust note louder.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
HDnutcase
Intermediate
Default Windshield too tall? Easy fix!

EASY DIY to shorten your windshield. All you need is a hand held jig saw with a narrow scroll type blade. Perfect result in about 20 minutes.

1. Remove windshield.
2. Duct tape the bottom of the windshield to cover the area of the new cut and three strips above that to prevent scratches from the saw bottom.
3. Use an old windshield or borrow one to trace the bottom edge onto the duct tape with a marker pen at the height you want.
4. I used a cardboard box of catalogs to support the curved windshield off my workbench and cut it on the marked lines. It doesn't have to be perfect, no one will ever see it.
5. Don't cut it too short the first time! You can always shorten it again, but you can't make it taller.
6. Remove tape and wash it in your sink.
7. Save the cut off portion as a template for the next windshield mod.

Warning, your friends will be asking you to shorten their windshields. I charge a case of Michelob Golden Light to do that. Unfortunately, that turns a 10 minute project into two hours. If I have to do two windshields there is no warranty on the second one.

Have fun!
HDNutcase

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Last edited by HDnutcase; 07-20-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:42 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

]I did the stebel airhorn mod to make it fit under the stock cowbell. Worked awesome, and seems like the cowbell actually makes the already loud 139db horn LOUDER! Great mod!

Name:  IMG00102-20100802-1350.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  144.6 KB

Last edited by NewAge; 08-06-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 AM
LV_EOD
Advanced
Default Passenger Board Hole Covers

When I installed my solo seat, I was surprised to find out no one seems to sell a cover for the mounting holes. I bought 6 ea, 3/8 and 2 ea, 5/16 chrome bolts, chased the hole threads, slapped on some anti-sieze and tightened them in. Now it no longer looks like somethings missing.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-chrome-bolts.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
HardHead206
Intermediate
Default DIY 2 into 1

I never been a "Fan" of duel exhaust on a "bagger" so I yanked the head pipe off ... did a Lil trimming and welding...and here's the finished product...( I phone camera a little blurry)

Name:  headpipeinside.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  2into1.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  107.9 KB
Name:  2into1rear.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  134.5 KB

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$