Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:59 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear lighting electrical harness location mod

I'm one of those folks using the triangle shaped metal bracket to lower the rear of my bike.

The lowering kit works great, but once in a while, my tires hits the wiring harness retain bracket.

After a few mor hits, the wiring insulation wore off and the wires shorted.

I decided to rebuild the harness but instead of running it under the fender, i decided to run the harness on top of the fender. removed the under fender retain bracket all together,

Well, now, nothing hits. everything is fine.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Saddlebag and Tourpak liners

Didn't think to take pics when I did this one so I will do my best to explain, it's pretty simple. Custom saddlebag and tourpak liner. Go to Wal-Mart or any store that sells automotive replacement carpet by the roll and a can of 3M Super77 spray adhesive. Two rolls will be enough carpet to do both bags and the tourpak minus the lids. They sell it in black and a dark gray.
Unroll the carpet on a table so you can set a saddlebag down on it safely. Cut the carpet into oversized panels, you will end up with five(three if you are really good, lol) the front, back, bottom, outer and inner walls of the bag. Take each oversized panel, one at a time, and press into place paying close attention to be tight in the corners. Run a fine point market along the corner contours, remove the carpet panel and trim it along the marks you just made with a pair of scissors. You can trip the top edge with either the scissors or a NEW razor blade. Take the carpet panel someplace that the overspray won't ruin anything and cover the back of the panel, let stand for a couple of minutes and then carefully place in the bag and press into place. Repeat for the rest of the panels. When doing the piece for the bottom, give yourself plenty of carpet to work with because you will have to bend it around the molded hump where the support runs.
For the Tourpak, cut a piece taller than the pak is deep and roll it up so the carpet side faces inward on the roll. This requires spraying the pak itself a small section at a time and unrolling and press fitting the carpet into place as you go. All the trimming is done afterwards. If you don't like the idea of spraying even close to your ride you can do a section at a time using the panel approach you used on the bags. For the bottom, think placemat, find anything you like that you can custom fit to the bottom and carpet that too. This mat allows you to still access your plugs if you take your pak off.
Now I have the Kingpak with the lights and the Harley liner, but it was beaten to hell. I still needed access if any bulbs burnt out so I cut the back section of the liner out and carpeted that and it is held in place by the pouch. I'll try and take some pics of the final product and post them later. Total cost of two rolls of carpet and the adhesive $30.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long ago did you line your bags Little Mike?

I'd be very interested in some pics.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AbnMP13
How long ago did you line your bags Little Mike?

I'd be very interested in some pics.
I just did these bags about a month or two ago. I'll try to get some pics up today.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Jus Cruisin
Advanced

Little Mike

I just bought a bagger last Saturday and you have done is what crossed my mind as soon as I opened the bags. No liner...yuck. I have used automotive package tray material (the stuff audio shops use to cover speaker enclosures) finishing trunks in a couple ole muscle cars I owned previously and thought I might use something like that as it will conform to all the contours reasonably well.

Your DIY confirmed my initial thoughts.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I'm one of those folks using the triangle shaped metal bracket to lower the rear of my bike.

The lowering kit works great, but once in a while, my tires hits the wiring harness retain bracket.

After a few mor hits, the wiring insulation wore off and the wires shorted.

I decided to rebuild the harness but instead of running it under the fender, i decided to run the harness on top of the fender. removed the under fender retain bracket all together,

Well, now, nothing hits. everything is fine.
Do you have any pics you can post?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
merkinman
Advanced

you can use the acc switch if you change it out to a momentary type switch. They are spring loaded so up is on and it springs back to the off position. THAT would work great..

Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 AM
jetspeed8
Tourer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by merkinman
you can use the acc switch if you change it out to a momentary type switch. They are spring loaded so up is on and it springs back to the off position. THAT would work great..
Where would one get the parts to do this?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 PM
mentat30
3rd Gear

Awesome

Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
SportyDoug
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy DIY 2 x 1 Exhaust System

Originally Posted by NCCopBikeRider
06 Cop Glide
K&N 3909
DIY 2 x 1 Exhaust system.
Cut off and plated the hole on the rear header pipe that went to the LS muffler
Replaced RS muffler with LS muffler. Instant 2 x 1
I received NO JOY when I tried the DIY 2 x 1 Exhaust system tip given in 2007. My scoot a 2005 FLHPI.

The bike came to me used with Python slip-ons in place that exhibited the infamous "pops", so I picked up some use parts for $20.00 and attempted the suggested change. For around town, the idea seemed fine, but after getting on the e-way I found discoloration in the muffler and a loss of mileage.

I used a left and right mufflers as well as a right from a later model King. After drilling many holes in the newer muffler it seemed to stop bluing and my mileage returned to normal, so I seem to have most of the results I wanted, along with a nice exhaust note. However, I still felt that I was creating too much heat with the system.

Using a single Python worked very well but..."pop"

I am just finishing the S&S cam gear change and have to run the Pythons again for a while, as some bozos on eBay, who sold me a set of stock 04 mufflers I wanted, sent me a set of 09 mufflers I did not.

If the Pythons work well after the cam gear work I will leave them on. If not, I will go back to a 3into2 and vent the mufflers I have coming from another eBay source until I get the sound mileage and exhaust note I want - with greatly diminished or unnoticeable pops.

Ride safe.

Doug S.
Silver City, NM
2004 883 Rubster, CA EVO + Tax
2005 FLHPI, Stage1 w/HD re-map

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$