Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
airbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Plugs

I don't know if this has been mentioned and it's so easy it's probably not really a DIY. The black plastic plugs you can find at Lowes and Home Depot hardware departments work well for filling threaded frame holes and if you have the fairing mount mirrors, the 5/16" works good on the holes on the handle bar controls where the mirrors would have been. Same size fills the extra adjustment holes where the passenger pegs mount on the 2010 Street Glide.

Eric

Last edited by airbike; 03-28-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
ghenstorf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage opener

I searched and found on ebay a remote revolving code opener for 25.00. I used sticky velcro to put it inside my headlight. I wired it to my high beam switch/auxillary lights. Now I simply flip brights on and off to open/close door. Sorry, I don't have link to part but I will add it later if I find it.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I read about people using the bucket tool pouches found in home improvement stores. Stopped at Menards today and picked up a nice one on sale for 10 bucks. Cut it up a bit, made it into 2 separate pieces, one for each side and had my wife sew up the cut ends for me.

One for each saddlebag and I have enough pouches to store all sorts of goodies!

Took longer for her to remember how to use the sewing machine than anything else

Works awesome!!
Name:  P1000456.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  60.4 KB
Name:  P1000458.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  64.4 KB

The following users liked this post:
Narddog (12-14-2022)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Lemayco
Cruiser

Just did the radio shack siren mod I read about here. Part was in stock and was as easy as stated, thanks guys. This is my new favorite place on the forum. Gotta go, I'm doing the the garage door opener now.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Lemayco
Cruiser

Anyone know where the wires for the acc switch on my 08 street glide is. Thought someone said it was under the seat somewhere. can't seem to find it. thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Lemayco
Cruiser

Found the acc plug next to the fuse block. Anyone know which wires I would hook to the garage door opener? Should I try to find the female plug for it at Harley. Thanks

Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
blueduramax
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the acc plug next to the fuse block. Anyone know which wires I would hook to the garage door opener? Should I try to find the female plug for it at Harley. Thanks

Someone on the forum suggested wiring to the high beam. That is what I did for the garage door mod. Everything is right in the headlight box and works great. I of course fixed the garage door opener so it was always switched on.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet! Radio Shack alarm just installed. Piece of cake! Just stripped back 3/4 of an inch or so of wire on each of the leads, shoved them into the existing connector. Electrical taped the end of the connector and shoved it back into it's holder on the bike.

What's next!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM
JUICEDSS
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently purchased a Mustang solo seat through a member here. I was very unhappy with the look of the 2 bolts that hold it down. The factory nuts looked terrible. I searched for solutions and didn't like anything I found. I purchased some actual metal dice and drilled and tapped them and inserted threaded steel sleeves. The dice material itself is a bit soft so I thought the steel sleeves would be the way to go.

On to the pics....

Name:  dice2.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  dice1.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  98.9 KB

Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Default OK...so let me get this straight

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Originally Posted by stu07hd
This is the best cheap DIY mod I have done to my 07 Ultra. It is to put an alarm siren that works with the factory alarm.
Go to Radio Shack and purchase Part #273-079 less than $6.00.

My local Radio Shack did not have the part in stock, but allowed me to pay for it in the store and shipped it to my house free of charge. I had it 2 days after I ordered it.

Don't know why HD sells the alarm and siren seperate, but read the post about the "Radio Shack" siren so I thought it would be an easy inexpensive fix and it was. quote

I ordered it from Radio Shack in early Feb and kept checking with the clerk in the store, and it is still o/o at the store. Mayhbe I should do what you did, and order it for shipment to my house.
I'm not sure I completely understand....I have an 09 Ultra. I haven't added any alarm system. Is this $6 radio shack siren all I need....or do I need to purchase the alarm seperatly? If so what's it cost & does anyone have a part# or link? Thanks guys
-clutch-

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$