Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Ok, this is in no way a put down to mods but why is no one happy with the way they bought their bike? Is it to have an edge on their buddy's? Because it's what guys do?
Because we like to tinker?
The way I look at it, if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a crotch rocket or in the touring version a Goldwing, Valkarie, or BMW. All three will destroy a Harley without putting thousands into the motor and making it unreliable.
I love my Harley the way it is, why mess with a good thing?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Ok, this is in no way a put down to mods but why is no one happy with the way they bought their bike? Is it to have an edge on their buddy's? Because it's what guys do?
The way I look at it, if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a crotch rocket or in the touring version a Goldwing, Valkarie, or BMW. All three will destroy a Harley without putting thousands into the motor and making it unreliable.

The bike from the factory is just a starting point. We all have ideas of what the ideal bike looks like. Customization allows us all to ride our own intrepretation. I don't want to ride (or drive, or live in) a cookie cutter. Your idea of the ideal bike is a stock Harley. Good for you. It'll save you a lot of cash in the long run. I'm not so lucky.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Some of the mods are just to make the scoot bearable to ride. They come from the factory running very lean (thanks to the EPA), and run hot. Being air cooled, they can burn you up in the summer.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I dont have a problem with changing the looks, hell I got a small fortune in that it's the make it faster thing that you cant see only feel.
You have to spend thousands and thousands to make it as fast as a ricer and then the reliability is down the tubes and gas mileage is cut in half.
Dunno, seems like a total waste of money to me but to each his own.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Knight2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all!

It doesn't cost THUSANDS & THOUSANDS of dollars!
Secondly,,, It'll never be as fast as a crotch rocket.. That's only YOUR interpretation.

The stock pipes sound like ****.

And like others have said the damn things run HOT as HELL becuase of the EPA and their standards!
****, my wifes right leg was burning up before I went to true duals. ONLY $179.00 by the way...

You like your engine running that hot? Yeh I'm sure that's good for it too huh?
Not me! I'm still going to spend a couple hundred more for a stage1 a/c and power commander or some other ecm fixer upper! lol

Oh, you keep talking about reliabilty. Why do you say they aren't reliable after doing mods? ACTUALLy! they're more reliable because they run so much cooler which is better for them! haha

Old 11-14-2009, 11:41 AM
RDKING08
Advanced
Default FOR THE PROSPECT>>>>Just Me

If you like your bike the way it is...cool.

At this point it seems like your just making more comments about people modding their bikes to hear yourself talk....or to literally see your own written comments.

People do what they do to their bikes to make it "THEIR" bike. That's what makes each and everyone unique.

You like yours the way it is...STOCK. Then great. Don't knock others for what they do or how they spend their money.....it's their bike to make better or screw up and their money to spend.

Move on....next subject.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Knight2
Tourer

Ha Ha
Right on King!

Very well put: I agree,
MOVE ON!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 PM
wuzrice
Intermediate

Talkin about makin it run cooler (tryin to fit into the mods thread), anybody done the night rider mod to richen the mix, and if so is it working?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:42 PM
woodhog17
Road Master

Originally Posted by wuzrice
Talkin about makin it run cooler (tryin to fit into the mods thread), anybody done the night rider mod to richen the mix, and if so is it working?
I added the XIED mod and it is running richer and about 6 - 10 degrees cooler.
The downside is crappier gas mileage but I didn't buy the bike to get 50 MPG.
It was cheaper and easier than a fuel management system or a dyno run.
It seems to have improved the throttle response and overall performance a bit too.
I'm happy with the results.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pudgypaul
If you split the case on your garage door opener and it has micro buttons, you can wire the opener through a 4 prong 12v relay to your high beam wire. When you flip the switch to high it will open the door. You can also wire it to your brakes. I got the plans from a guy on ebay. You have to solder wires to the mirco buttons. 4 years and it still works great. The remote tucks easily under the seat. Beats the price of Harley's $300 plus opener.
Good luck

I beleive this can only be done with a 12v remote opener Right? Doc

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$