Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Freebee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $5.50 Radio Shack Siren

Originally Posted by PHREDD71
I just installed the Radio Shack Siren (PN# 273-079) on my 2008 Street Glide and wanted to share the installation since it seems to be different than the earlier installation post for a 2007.

The siren connector is located to the left and below the fuse block. You do not have to remove anything other than the left side cover to expose the fuse block. The factory siren connector is a 3 pin Delphi connector. It is plugged into a mock pin housing so you will need to unplug it. I put the siren red wire in the first terminal (Power) wire colored Brown/Grey and then the black wire of the siren into Terminal 2 (Signal) wire colored Light Green/Brown. I just stuck the wires into the connector, electrical taped it together, and then zip tied the siren to the left of the fuse block.

Hope this helps!

I can verify this works on a 2009 Ultra Classic, the connector has the same color codes. The install took less than 10min. including the test of the annoying siren !! Thanks for the DIY tip.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to revisit the fuel door being opened with any HD barrel key....
Actually any barrel key will work. I have one from an off road lock box and it works in the HD fuel door. A buddy of mine had a barrel key out of a work box and it opens the fuel door as well.

Take care,
Dave

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no pins in the fuel door lock. ANY round key will open it.

Last edited by motorcyclelockman; 06-24-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
niklndymer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another mod...

This was a recent addition to a newly-purchased '07 Ultra. The previous owner had several scratches on each side of the batwing from brushing against objects in his small garage. Not wanting to replace the whole shell, I came up with these nice (in my opinion..) leather "wing-tip" covers. I even made a leather stamp to dress them up a bit. They hold up to highway speeds, are easy to clean, and don't wrinkle with weather changes. They were fairly easy to make and install, and are easily removable. "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc06247.jpg

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-dsc06248.jpg

Old 07-07-2009, 10:52 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Easy DIY mod

One of the best low cost mods is a new windshield

you can get a great looking flip up shield for your bike at

longrideshields.com

Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
anubiss
Advanced

I'm just going to buy the one that is actuated by the high beam button, for my 09 FLHTCUTG

Just sayin...

Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM
GLIDER2006
Stage II
Default Poor man's exhaust

A couple friends have taken their slip ons off the bagger and drilled a 3/8" to 1/2" hole in the front end of the catalitic insert. Sounds nice and quiet at idle, but comes alive at throttle. NOTE: These are not anywhere near as loud as SEs, V&Hs, Reins, Wild Pigs, etc. BUT, the price is right. (free).

After your friends get thru kidding you about your new mufflers, you can't go wrong with Wild Pigs. Search exhaust thread for great advice from various members. Wild Pigs w/ SMALL inserts are 90dBA at idle, which is exactly twice as loud as stock. NEVER change out the pipes and air cleaner without retuning, PCIII, etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
evil_monster
Advanced

Originally Posted by NCCopBikeRider
06 Cop Glide

K&N 3909

DIY 2 x 1 Exhaust system.

Cut off and plated the hole on the rear header pipe that went to the LS muffler

Replaced RS muffler with LS muffler

Instant 2 x 1

Good Luck
Can you eloborate? I'm unclear what you're doing here. What do you mean you cut off and plated? Do you mean you have it chromed? It sounds like you cut off the left side of the exhaust altogether.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
evil_monster
Advanced

Originally Posted by XfasteddieX
true duals with stock exhaust cut down pipe on rear cylender halfwaybetween head & end of pipe install42.5mm freeze plugs from parts store one in top & 1 in bottom then use muffler clamp to fasten the cut pipe back together or have local muffler shop weld it back together install heat sheld done. freeze plug diverts allrearexhaust through stock crossover pipe about 10 to 15 bucks total or buy the same kit from a guy on ebay he sells them for 125.00

This is FANTASTIC! I've been looking for the best way to do this! I've got a welder... so the freeze plugs are weldable material?
do you install TWO freeze plugs - back to back?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 PM
evil_monster
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackMarshmallow
Okay, HD will sell you a brake light mod kit for $54.00 to mod the turn signals into brake light helpers. Anybody know a DIY way to do this?
I think I paid $35 from Ebay

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$