Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Shadofaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
I went with the RideTime LED setup for the Ultra tour pak. I added the FlashR to make my side lights blink alternately with the added signal lights of the LED board that replaced the 1157 bulb that was in the tour pak before. They are twice as bright and the bike still looks stock.
Did the same thing over the winter and it works great! Also added the RideTime LED rear fender kit that converts the low rear fender running light to an additional brake light. Also added the new HD AirWing Tour Pak rak with the Run/Brake light in it. Went for more lights without looking too over-the-top.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't have too many lights in back Shadofaxx that's for sure. I did the upgrade because my trailer I built blocks the view of my lower signals and I didn't like depending on just the trailer lights. For that reason I didn't do the fender tip.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Shadofaxx
Tourer

That is true, you can never have too many, I was rear-ended while at a stop light last September 11th (I was uninjured, but the bike had $5K damage). So now I'm trying to light her up like the 4th of July! Don't want to go through that ever again. Like you, I am trying to maintain a stock look for the most part.

Rode it to work today at 6am (here in 'balmy' Michigan it is still dark AND cold). Got a great compliment from a co-worker who said he could see my bike from 3 blocks back when I turned into the parking lot. Mission accomplished.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM
oricko
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gray Beard
Did a Garage Door Opener for a friend of mine. Went the salvage yard (I think Junkyard is now politcally incorrect?) Got a homelink visor unit from a Crown Vic two wires reprogram and it was open sesame. The cost was steep since the visor was custom stained had to shell out 8 bucks....
is everything you need in the visor?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oricko
is everything you need in the visor?
No the electonics are in a small module that was mounted in the fairing not a big deal the whole thing was over and done in minutes

Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger Pegs Extended 1" - Cheap Fix $12

I bought the front but thought $39 for the passenger's was a little steep so I went to Lowes and bought two 3/8-16x1-1/2" and two 2" socket head cap screws ( #8 grade) and four 3/8 x 1/2 x 1" spacers and two 5/8 x 7/8 x 1" spacers. I cut two of the 3/8 spacers off the length of the socket head and used these and the 1 1/2" cap screws for the bottom holes. The open in the cap will then hold the tab on the floorboard in place. I then used the other two 3/8" spacers inside the 5/8" spacers and the two 2" cap screws to attach the floorboards. I used #8 cap screws so I think they will be strong enough but there are other threads discussing #8 vs. #5 and some folks have broke the stock bolts which I believe are #5.

http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/q...SC00581_00.jpg

http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/q...SC00580_00.jpg

Old 04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
MarkThomas
Cruiser

I am going to do this one next...a DIY for a laydown license plate on the baggers.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0902_...ate/index.html

Old 04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
jaymcgil19
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mark, that looks like my next project.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
$oul Child
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clean up the Harmon Kardon

I did a little trick to my HK radio.
Name:  IMG_1654.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  147.7 KB
side view
Name:  IMG_1655.jpg
Views: 2287
Size:  114.7 KB

Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 AM
rwilli46
Stage I
Default 2 cents worth

Originally Posted by PapaTravis
Thanks. I was thinking of somehow wiring it to the left acc switch on the stering column. Is that possible? Also, I had not thought about putting it under the left side cover. That is agood idea.
Originally Posted by relli
great idea! i bought a garage door opener remote-split the case and wired a momentary switch to it. drilled a hole in the bottom of my windshield bag for the switch, put the remote in the bag. works great for about 20 bucks.
I have a ’97 R/K. It has an extra switch location opposite the on off switch for the running lamps. Same idea with the wiring. Be sure to use a waterproof switch. Some baggers have a switch in-place that is not used. Seal opener with silicone and zip tie it by the beck behind nacelle. First time pulling in to the driveway with a few friends I hit the opener and next thing you know we were doing two more the following night. Be careful of the aftermarket openers. They will not hold up to the vibration.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$