Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 PM
jagerbomb
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
I did the garage door opener mod and tucked the transmitter in next to the battery. works great in the garage, but not so good outside. I think the battery is interfering with the signal. Probably will try to relocate it to see if i get better results.
I'm getting the door open about the same distance as when it was in my car.

Mark

Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Lefty5string
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did the hi-beam gate (garage door) opener thing. frickin awesome, no more stopping, putting it in neutral, digging through my pockets to find the remote... now i just hit the high beams as i pull up and the gate opens like a charm.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
salty01
Tourer

Took the GDO apart and found the little red button underneath, flipped it over and found four solder spots on the opposite side of the little push switch.

Took 2 pieces of wire, then touched two of the solder spots at the same time while the other ends of the wires were touched together. Found the two that opened and closed the door, soldered the wire ends onto those two spots.

Then crimped the opposite ends of the wires to female blade connectors. Slid those connectors over the blade connectors on the end of a black push button switch I got at Canadian tire for $4.95.

Then, on the lower fairing housing by Ign switch and Spotsswitch, I drilled a pilot hole dead center of the blanK. Then drilled it bigger in two steps.to fit the round button portion through from underneath.

Removed the outer fairing , turned the bars to the right and fed the switch with wires up and through the hole. Screwed the black threaded ring disk on and voilal!

Then took my GDO and put it in a zip lock bag (just in case of moisture), zipped it to a wire.
Closed the fairing up and done! Switch looks like it belongs there (pic att)

Now I have to push the button there instead of flashing my lights but.........for $4.95 CDN...a cheap GDO that works great!

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-gdo.jpg  

Last edited by salty01; 03-06-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jagerbomb
I'm getting the door open about the same distance as when it was in my car.

Mark
I moved the transmitter from where i had it tucked away to the left side sidecover, and now it works a few houses down, which is plenty far for me. I'd never really used these transmitters before, other than to program the HomeLink in my truck, so wasn't sure what the range looked like before.

Last edited by HDRider2002; 03-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser

Did a Garage Door Opener for a friend of mine. Went the salvage yard (I think Junkyard is now politcally incorrect?) Got a homelink visor unit from a Crown Vic two wires reprogram and it was open sesame. The cost was steep since the visor was custom stained had to shell out 8 bucks....

Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 PM
maczter
6th Gear

Originally Posted by longmc
A guy on a 2008 Ultra-Classic pulled up at our local HD dealer and when he pressed his brake lights, there was to lights strobing in red. When asked what they were, he informed me he was almost hit by a drunk driver and put these strobes under his trunk. He stated people do not get as close to him anymore, especially when he activates his brakes.

Well guess what? I went and bought one. I mounted it above my tail light. It is so powerful and will definately let people behind you know you are stopping.

Here is the manufacturer. Look for the Axixtech Exterior / Surface Mount LED Model (4s Series). http://www.brookingindustries.com/products.php

They LED's come in RED, BLUE, AMBER, and maybe a couple of other colors. Chrome or Black housing.
Do you have a picture of what this looks like installed? Would love to see it,

Old 03-17-2009, 06:24 AM
JUICEDSS
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I used velcro to mount my Thruway Ez-Pass inside my fairing. You don't know it's there and works perfectly.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
bunt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wheelspin
Creepshow, where did you get the spikes to plug the holes in the rear frame rails after you removed the bar?
wheelspin
Bruisers has a few options for this mod.
http://www.bruisersinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tour Pak Relocation

Originally Posted by johnnyp
Has anyone tried to relocate a detachable tour pack by re-drilling holes in the bottom yourself ? I would like some info on this PLEASE ?
This is what I did. Don't drill new holes in the tour pak. Drill them in the removable mounting bracket. There are two holes at each corner with enough room to drill a third another 1" back leaving enough metal to still be secure. That extra inch was all my wife needed (yeah, I know) to be comfortable. Sorry no pics available.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked at the strobes, but decided since I pull a trailer that blocks the view of my lower lights from behind, I went with the RideTime LED setup for the Ultra tour pak. I added the FlashR to make my side lights blink alternately with the added signal lights of the LED board that replaced the 1157 bulb that was in the tour pak before. They are twice as bright and the bike still looks stock.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$