Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 PM
geedee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra Key

I like the boot ideal...

Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 AM
hdvirgin
Novice
Default key in boot

YOU may never have lost YOUR boots... I rode home from Sturgis once in my socks - - - YEARS ago, when I was young. Now I am responsible!

Good tip!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutting Anteana

I found a post on this thread about cutting you own anteana down. I just need to post a public servics announcment to this. Although it worked just fine(and I cut mine down to about 14'' long) the only problem I found was when I switch to the WB it don't come in as good unless I get my wife to grab the anteana. I don't use it much but when I need it I hope my wife is on back.
I even took a few pieces of heat shrink and topped it off and it looks really close to stock on the end.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by artc
Lace the key in your boot laces. We never lose our boots.
Lost my shirt a few times though

Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 AM
hdvirgin
Novice
Default garage door opener hooked to high beams

Greatest idea since the motorcycle was invented! Bought a remote off e-bay for $13, followed the instructions in this thread about hooking it up to your high beams on your scoot. Worked great! If I can figure it out anyone can! Only question I have is the bike is 12 volts, the opener is built for 9 volts - what's going to happen to the opener circuit board when I run with the brights on for a while? Might smoke it, I don't know yet...

Thanks - good posts!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 PM
vetto
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdvirgin
Greatest idea since the motorcycle was invented! Bought a remote off e-bay for $13, followed the instructions in this thread about hooking it up to your high beams on your scoot. Worked great! If I can figure it out anyone can! Only question I have is the bike is 12 volts, the opener is built for 9 volts - what's going to happen to the opener circuit board when I run with the brights on for a while? Might smoke it, I don't know yet...

Thanks - good posts!
Ha! hadn't heard that one...so with the high beams on you cruise around the neighborhood opening garage doors at random?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Wiley B
Stage IV
Default Valve stem extention

Originally Posted by No Tyme
Anyone else been Fed up with removing the saddle bag to check the air in the rear shocks? Well I was so while out in the barn yesterday sitting there and looking at 1 ½†of rain coming down I decided to address this issue… Found a 3†piece of a chrome bracket and drilled a 3/8 hole in one end to slide onto the mounting stud for the removalable backrest mounting point and in the other end I drilled another hole to relocate the air valve to the bracket.
Now all I need to do is pop the lid on the bag, attach my air pump and presto… No future paint chips to worry about, or cuss words needed to perform such a simple task made difficult by overpaid engineers. And the best part! Didn’t cost me a dime!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...-Tyme/DIY1.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...-Tyme/DIY2.jpg

(Can't figure out how you get you photos right in the post...)
Went to Les Schwab today and ordered a 90 degree valve stem extention.A wee under 3 bucks.

Last edited by Wiley B; 11-12-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Will not work,not enough threads to reach into 90 degree stem
Old 11-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Wiley B
Stage IV
Default Smooth as glass

Originally Posted by stu07hd
This is the best cheap DIY mod I have done to my 07 Ultra. It is to put an alarm siren that works with the factory alarm.
Go to Radio Shack and purchase Part #273-079 less than $6.00.

My local Radio Shack did not have the part in stock, but allowed me to pay for it in the store and shipped it to my house free of charge. I had it 2 days after I ordered it.

Don't know why HD sells the alarm and siren seperate, but read the post about the "Radio Shack" siren so I thought it would be an easy inexpensive fix and it was.

here is the post that I read about it in posted by ROLLNTIGER.

Removed the right side saddle bag and cover and then removed the electronic control module, 2 hex head screws. Removed the plastic cover, two nuts. Cut the head off the factory wiring harness. The factory wiring harness has three wires black, brown, and green. The siren only has a black and red. Take two pieces of shrink tubing and place over the red and black wires from the siren. Wired the red from the siren to the brown from the wireing harness and the siren black to the bike green. The black I just tucked back into the wireing cover. Test your connections! Slide the shrink tubing back down and used the blow dryer on high setting to shrink the tubing. The siren is small enough that I used some 3M emblem tape and secured the siren where the wiring harness was located. Simple using "cutacroshorty" as my instuction manual.

I was surprised at how small the siren is and never thought it would be loud enough. For those that have the alarm but no siren this is a great mod.

I did not cut the head off the factory plug. I stuck the wires in the holes in the factory plug and taped it all together. When I pulled off my plastic cover the plug was being held in a clip on that cover. As far as the sound, the speaker itself is very loud (120db), but after it is taped inside the plastic cover and the side cover is put back on it is not as loud. It is still very noticeable, but just not blaring loud. Any other questions let me know. I don't know if it will work on the 06 models but it seems like I read where there is a difference between the 05 and the 07, not sure about 06.

Good luck and feel free to PM with questions.
Fantastic,perfect instructions,there is no change from your instructions with regard to the 05 rkc. Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Went to Princes Auto and got a roll of that "non-slip" grip tape and put it on the ramp of the bike lift. The back tire tended to slip on the diamond plate pattern making it an adventure every time I rode the bike up onto the lift. Works great now.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (05-07-2018)
Old 11-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Agnes the dog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bambamblazer
Here is a cheap Ipod mount i made from the box it comes in. The piece i used is the "rack" the Ipod is on in the box. The light i bought at wally-world for about $6 and it just velcro's inside the tour pack
I did that for my car and it works GREAT! I rounded the edges on a bench grinder to keep from getting scratched by the sharp corners.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$