Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the the same button and rubber cover that is used on the odometer. Wired an old opener to the button, wired the opener to a switched 12 volts. Now i have an opener that only works if the ignition is on. I had two openers to choose from, one just happened to be powered with an A23 12 volt battery.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Hawgnut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry IMG/jpg pictures

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
Here's a suggestion for an alternative to Kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs for touring bikes. I bought a 12" piece of 1/2" black iron pipe, 4 elbows, 2 caps, and 2 u-bolts at the local hardware. Mounted the pipe on the plate behind the rear cylinder by drilling 4 holes for the u-bolts (not visible from a casual glance). Put 2 elbows on each end of the pipe.&nbsp\\;Drilled holes in the middle of the caps to bolt on an old pair of HD peg mounts and pegs and then screwed them on to the elbows. Painted gloss black. It works as intended and actually gives the passenger more stretching room than Kuryakyns. Adjustable (with a pipe wrench!) for a variety of positions. If you wanted even more room, you could add a short section of nipple pipe between the elbows. Goes on and off fairly easily, and you cannot tell anything has been done to the bike when it is off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24433/5D17D64ECAB540BFB009B62C430294D8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24433/ACD21F6000544FF8A66E251388A18479.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24433/C10E8C21A1CB4BD3BB8E6950C7444F8D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24433/7EC34969FDFD439FB170770D230318F9.jpg[/IMG]
Can anyone tell me why I cannot bring up the pictures from this thread ? this is not the only thread that I cant see they wont come up. Help me please

Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
milodog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all the pictures were lost when the forum was upgraded. They have to be reposted.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:33 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i hope this helps someone. before you change your oil next time, take the new filter to auto zone, pep boys, etc, and you'll find that there is a steel cup style filter wrench that'll fit it. i found out by accident cause the one i got for my bmw fits the harley oil filter too. they have the 3/8" reciever for your extension or ratchet wrench too. at the grand total of three or four bux, not a bad deal. doesn't have the cutout that the harley one has for the sensor, but no big deal. isn't necessary if you're careful. it works great, and doesn't **** me off, so i am stickin with it.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (05-07-2018)
Old 08-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Your mama
Novice
Default Radio shack siren alarm, can't find the alarm harness

Originally Posted by stu07hd
This is the best cheap DIY mod I have done to my 07 Ultra. It is to put an alarm siren that works with the factory alarm.
Go to Radio Shack and purchase Part #273-079 less than $6.00.

My local Radio Shack did not have the part in stock, but allowed me to pay for it in the store and shipped it to my house free of charge. I had it 2 days after I ordered it.

Don't know why HD sells the alarm and siren seperate, but read the post about the "Radio Shack" siren so I thought it would be an easy inexpensive fix and it was.

here is the post that I read about it in posted by ROLLNTIGER.

Removed the right side saddle bag and cover and then removed the electronic control module, 2 hex head screws. Removed the plastic cover, two nuts. Cut the head off the factory wiring harness. The factory wiring harness has three wires black, brown, and green. The siren only has a black and red. Take two pieces of shrink tubing and place over the red and black wires from the siren. Wired the red from the siren to the brown from the wireing harness and the siren black to the bike green. The black I just tucked back into the wireing cover. Test your connections! Slide the shrink tubing back down and used the blow dryer on high setting to shrink the tubing. The siren is small enough that I used some 3M emblem tape and secured the siren where the wiring harness was located. Simple using "cutacroshorty" as my instuction manual.

I was surprised at how small the siren is and never thought it would be loud enough. For those that have the alarm but no siren this is a great mod.

I did not cut the head off the factory plug. I stuck the wires in the holes in the factory plug and taped it all together. When I pulled off my plastic cover the plug was being held in a clip on that cover. As far as the sound, the speaker itself is very loud (120db), but after it is taped inside the plastic cover and the side cover is put back on it is not as loud. It is still very noticeable, but just not blaring loud. Any other questions let me know. I don't know if it will work on the 06 models but it seems like I read where there is a difference between the 05 and the 07, not sure about 06.

Good luck and feel free to PM with questions.

I'm trying this mod, however, I have an 08 Roadglide with ABS. When I take off the right side cover, all I see is the ABS block and brake lines. Anyone know where the alarm harness is on my model?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 PM
artc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Left side on the 2008's.......

Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM
cfoster80
Tourer

I did a hidden IPOD case.
1. Got a Iphone leather case with a belt clip. (Got the iphone cuz while i was looking through cell phone holders it was the best fit.)
2. Got a 12" short aux cable from radio shack. (black of course and about $5.)
3. Got a strap loop at the hardware store with some stainless nuts, bolts and washers.

Installation
1. Take one of the switch blanks next the aux switch (right hand side) and put a half hole (use a drill bit just touching the edge of the blank against it till you get the desired size) or notch it on the edge made sure i did it out of the fairing since the blank is cheaper to replace.
2. Run your aux cable through the half hole (do this before you reinstall as you can see the cable ends are bigger the the cable its self) and then snap the blank back into the fairing.
3.Run the rest of the cable through the fairing and out the bottom of the handle bar so its hanging out the right side of fairing/handle bar. (The aux cable basicaly plugs in the radio and goes down directly into the fairing.)
4. Then take your stap loop and mark your holes on the inner fairing (take off or lossen the outer fairing to have access.) drill your holes bolt the loop on the inside fairing.(making sure that your aux cable is able to reach it and plug in.)
5. Go head and clip your ipod case on the strap loop and listen to your tunes.

The location of the ipod will be pretty much where the cig lighter is but opposite side.
When im not using the aux cable i tuck it into the fairing/bottom of right handle bar.

I know there are plenty of easier ways to hook your ipod up but i waanted something clean an outta sight.
I believe i spent $19.99 on the case and about maybe $10 on the rest of the parts.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:11 AM
swalter10
Intermediate

Artc,

By reinstall I guess you removed the screw? No need for that. Just spin the end of the tether on the screw and you will get the same result.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Truman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash Board/Fuel Tank Trim Mod-Cheap,Fast,Nice-PICS

I removed the stock dash board black rubber trim and replaced it with chrome door edge molding purchased for $4.99 at Pep Boys and easily installed in a couple minutes, a minor detail that looks better than the black IMO.

One more thing....I took the excess pieces and used them on the inner lower lip of my air cleaner cover, a few drops of oil on occasion will drip from the filter and end up on the timing cover, I think the the lip will prevent
dripage until your parked and can wipe any overflow away...we'll see.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_6546.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_6555.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-img_6557.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Medevack1 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
HB
Road Captain
Default Turn signal bar LED's

This was a little tedious but it gets a lot of where did you get that bar from. I drilled 5 holes on each side of the tail light cutout and installed 10 red led's. I filled the back uo with clear silicone to help keep the led's from vibrating out. The little led holders were not real tight in the holes. Each half blinks with the corresponding blinker. Seems to work very good.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-led-taillight.jpg  

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$