Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY bottle holders

Here are water bottle holders for EG, both driver and passenger. I had clamps to fit one inch bars in my odds and ends. Use one on handlebar for driver or two on saddlebag guard top and bottom for passenger. Insert 3/8 inch threaded rod through the clamps. Bolt 3/16 eyebolts to the bottle holders and slip onto threaded rods with nuts to hold in place. I used some old Profile brand holders, but any bicycle bottle cage will do.

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-120_2099.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-120_2097.jpg  
Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
ben67zl1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a site on web shows very similar style jack using 2X6 and some pipe with a piece of pipe insulation to keep pipe off bike, also won't let bike tip jack backward

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM
007 ultra
Tourer
Default Light in the tour pac

Needed a light in the tour pac but didn't want to spend the bucks HD wants for their setup.

Went to AutoZone, purchased a glovebox light with intregrated switch for about $3.00. Mounted the light with doubleface tape to the lid of the tour pac near the lock. Ran wire down into the tour pac and taped in place with black Gorilla tape - then to a hot lead and a ground.

Open the lid, flip the switch and there is adequate light to see whatever is needed in the tour pac.

This job didn't take very long and did not cost much other than the purchase of the light with an intregrated switch.

Happy riding.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 AM
007 ultra
Tourer

Originally Posted by pkenyon1
In UK the Harley Siren comes as stock...loud as loud can be.

I dont know where HD get off switching these things around...on UK model the tri bar light on the rear fender is a blank and we have to buy that light.

They just love to mix things up to keep taking your coin!

Maybe there are more thefts in the UK??????

Just asking is all.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM
jimonline
5th Gear
Default too simple fix for tour-pak cable

Got tired of the cable getting caught when I or someone else closed my tour-pak. Added a light weight crimp on fishing line weight. Works better than perfect.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
artc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On the cable in the tour pack. Rotate one end 180 dregees and reinstall. It wooked 4 me...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 AM
bugeater
3rd Gear
Default Garage opener

This would have been my suggestion, also. I got my momentary contact switch from Radio Shack. When I had a FLHT I mounted the switch on the dashboard and left the large out-sized button on top for easy access and it acts like an umbrella for the switch during rain or washing, the opener was tucked into the fairing. Now, with my FLTR I mounted the switch on the inside of the remote lever of the rider seat back adjuster, and the opener sits under the side panel.
A downside for wiring an opener to a OEM accessory switch is that if for some reason it got left on, or someone else flicked it on, the opener battery would run down fairly quickly.

Last edited by bugeater; 08-13-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Yesca
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Mod for broken fuel tank to intake quick connect

New to Forum, so here is my DIY Tip that I hope others can benefit from:

Here is a cheap replacement for the fuel tank-to-intake quick connect for fuel injected models in case the factory one gets broken and you don't want to pay $45.00 + dollars for a new factory piece of plastic & fuel hose .
Dorman p/n 800-120 is for a steel quick connect (5/16") ~$10.00 at auto parts store. Or Dorman p/n 800-057 for a plastic replacement quick connect fitting (5/16") w/nylon tube attached that can be cut off and removed ~$20.00 at auto parts store.
I used the steel one on my '07 FLHT and it works fine, no leaks.

Last edited by Yesca; 08-13-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: add text
The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (05-07-2018)
Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
longmc
Stage I
Default Brake Light Strobe

A guy on a 2008 Ultra-Classic pulled up at our local HD dealer and when he pressed his brake lights, there was to lights strobing in red. When asked what they were, he informed me he was almost hit by a drunk driver and put these strobes under his trunk. He stated people do not get as close to him anymore, especially when he activates his brakes.

Well guess what? I went and bought one. I mounted it above my tail light. It is so powerful and will definately let people behind you know you are stopping.

Here is the manufacturer. Look for the Axixtech Exterior / Surface Mount LED Model (4s Series). http://www.brookingindustries.com/products.php

They LED's come in RED, BLUE, AMBER, and maybe a couple of other colors. Chrome or Black housing.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Hawgnut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what a good idea

Originally Posted by CREEPSHOW
Glad to see this section growing still. Been a while since I been in here so here ismy latest. Custom floorboard, well I will say, covers. Check it out!
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2891935/tm.htm
What did you cut them out of it looks great !!! I'm with you on making stuff up your self. Going to the stealership isn't good for the wallet

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$