Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:38 AM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Finally re-did my crankcase vent

I had originally fabbed up an aluminum catch bottle and ran it around to the front of the frame (previous post here). But got tired of emptying/cleaning the catch bottle. So removed the braided line, used some stainless parker fittings and stainless 1/4" tube. Running is straight down. I'm careful about how full the oil is anyway, but I figured out years ago that HD has an issue with oil aeration (foaming) and no matter what I do (running low oil), there's always a little bit that seeps. Little bend work and some tac welding, easy fix.

The following users liked this post:
tjconnection (04-13-2019)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:46 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

nice clean look

The following users liked this post:
soulpatch (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:08 PM
fer79
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by fer79:
Knysh16 (03-15-2021), Kokes58 (09-21-2019), tjconnection (04-13-2019)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:23 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,615 Likes on 2,870 Posts

^^^^ nice!

Old 05-07-2018, 01:56 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICEDSS
I recently purchased a Mustang solo seat through a member here. I was very unhappy with the look of the 2 bolts that hold it down. The factory nuts looked terrible. I searched for solutions and didn't like anything I found. I purchased some actual metal dice and drilled and tapped them and inserted threaded steel sleeves. The dice material itself is a bit soft so I thought the steel sleeves would be the way to go.
For only a few dollars ($2.50-4), you could have gotten knurled seat bolts, or even in other styles, like the maltese cross, in either black or chrome, and for a $ or two more ($5-6 total), they would include the metal plate going over the tabs on the seat, too. Some have the slots in the top, and some don't. You decide which one you want.

My other mod is to install leather lever covers. Got a piece of leather the same color as the bike at your local hobby store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.) about 12" long and about 2-3" wide. Used a punch to make holes going down the sides after cutting it in half and rounding off the corners, and then used leather lace, same color, and almost braided it through the holes. When at the ball end of the lever, just tied it off with a square knot, and cut the excess after a couple inches from the knot. I thought they looked pretty good, but I used suede, which over time got dirty and dark from use and the oils from your fingers. Next time, I'm using a smooth leather. You could even use leathers with patterns like snakeskin or alligator or ostrich, if you wanted to get exotic, and you could use eyelets through the holes, but I didn't feel like I needed them since they're still on the bike over 10 years later, and haven't torn through yet.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by EricP3
Wanted to fill in the gap between my bags and my frame, I also wanted to add some visibility at the same time. I got some angle aluminium from Home depot. Some LED's online that look like bolts. I cut and drilled and polished the aluminium wired the leds to the running lights and here you go!
Do you have pics of how you wired those to the running lights?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:04 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
For only a few dollars ($2.50-4), you could have gotten knurled seat bolts, or even in other styles, like the maltese cross, in either black or chrome, and for a $ or two more ($5-6 total), they would include the metal plate going over the tabs on the seat, too. Some have the slots in the top, and some don't. You decide which one you want.

My other mod is to install leather lever covers. Got a piece of leather the same color as the bike at your local hobby store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.) about 12" long and about 2-3" wide. Used a punch to make holes going down the sides after cutting it in half and rounding off the corners, and then used leather lace, same color, and almost braided it through the holes. When at the ball end of the lever, just tied it off with a square knot, and cut the excess after a couple inches from the knot. I thought they looked pretty good, but I used suede, which over time got dirty and dark from use and the oils from your fingers. Next time, I'm using a smooth leather. You could even use leathers with patterns like snakeskin or alligator or ostrich, if you wanted to get exotic, and you could use eyelets through the holes, but I didn't feel like I needed them since they're still on the bike over 10 years later, and haven't torn through yet.
Female thread?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:57 AM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice trailer! Looks kinda familiar.

This is one I built a few years ago.

The following 2 users liked this post by hooter57:
fer79 (05-08-2018), tjconnection (04-13-2019)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Female thread?
Not sure what you mean. I just know they fit perfectly for my '13 Dyna. Here are some:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Chrom....c100005.m1851
You can also get some that include the "nut" piece and clip that fits in the fender, too, so you'll be sure they'll work together, like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Sc...GwrTXA&vxp=mtr.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM
rawger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it does not affect the impedance the amplifier sees because of the crossover. The amp sees 2 ohms at the mid frequency and 4 ohms at the tweeter frequency.

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$