Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 PM
RCH
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "DIY MODS" WAY TO GO :)

ORIGINAL: Fast Eddie

Here's my version of an economy Garage Door Opener on an Ultra. Can be adapted any dry area you can fit the opener circuit board. I removed the circuit board from the case and soldered in a HD Odometer Reset Switch. Foam taped the circuit board underneath the console. Drilled a hole for the switch through the plastic portion of the console opposite the CB Intercom socket. Almost looks like it was designed that way especially since the Odometer Reset Switch matches the one on the fairing. You could do the same thing through the fairing and mount the transmitter inside the fairing. The batteries typically last more than a year or so. With that battery life you do not have to access it very often to change the battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/54E981AC4E764C3695333954DEF4A335.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/D85AFD53F97143EAA529DE7F534C55EC.jpg[/IMG]
Very nice! Looks stock! I might have to try this on mine.
Thanks for sharing that.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 AM
XfasteddieX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "DIY MODS" WAY TO GO :)

my latest in a never ending battle i did the stock 2to 1 exhaust mod, moved licens plate,& took 2 - 5/16" bolts & drilled a 3/16"hole in each one that was the hard part got 2 red leds one in each bolt went to autozone & got2 cig lighter skulls took them off lighter plug & glued them to bolts then installed in grabbar where licensplate mount was plus 99 more leds on bike need about 20 more to finish it up as far as leds anyway

Name:  100_2205.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  26.2 KB
Name:  100_2203.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  23.1 KB

Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Heres one I fabed up

Anyone else been Fed up with removing the saddle bag to check the air in the rear shocks? Well I was so while out in the barn yesterday sitting there and looking at 1 ½” of rain coming down I decided to address this issue… Found a 3” piece of a chrome bracket and drilled a 3/8 hole in one end to slide onto the mounting stud for the removalable backrest mounting point and in the other end I drilled another hole to relocate the air valve to the bracket.
Now all I need to do is pop the lid on the bag, attach my air pump and presto… No future paint chips to worry about, or cuss words needed to perform such a simple task made difficult by overpaid engineers. And the best part! Didn’t cost me a dime!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...-Tyme/DIY1.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...-Tyme/DIY2.jpg

(Can't figure out how you get you photos right in the post...)

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (05-07-2018)
Old 02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
No Tyme
Tourer
Default RE: Heres one I fabed up

This is driving me nuts... How do you get them photos in the post???

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: No Tyme

Anyone else been Fed up with removing the saddle bag to check the air in the rear shocks? Well I was so while out in the barn yesterday sitting there and looking at 1 ½” of rain coming down I decided to address this issue… Found a 3” piece of a chrome bracket and drilled a 3/8 hole in one end to slide onto the mounting stud for the removalable backrest mounting point and in the other end I drilled another hole to relocate the air valve to the bracket.
Now all I need to do is pop the lid on the bag, attach my air pump and presto… No future paint chips to worry about, or cuss words needed to perform such a simple task made difficult by overpaid engineers. And the best part! Didn’t cost me a dime!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...-Tyme/DIY1.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...-Tyme/DIY2.jpg

(Can't figure out how you get you photos right in the post...)

Now this is a hell of an idea!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by HarlyFan:
Morg (05-12-2019), ridebud (02-08-2017)
Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont understand. my 07 all i have ta do is open the bag to access the valve. diff on an 06???

Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
No Tyme
Tourer

It makes life a little easier and now I don’t have to worry about putting a chip in the bags in the process of removing them.
I did the Stebil air horn install where the horn in hidden inside the cowbell covering of the original horn cause its Stealth looking and surprises many, especially the cagers.
I also didn’t like the way the rear of my windshield bags looked from the front of my ride, between the windshield and the bags because you could never get in there and clean. I also noticed that a friends 3 pouch system seem to pull away from the shield on the ends either from weight in the pouches or from the sun, so I installed a Memphis Shade with the graduating tint which is an almost a perfect match with the windshield pouch’s contour and between the shield and pouches I put Velcro to help hold the bags against the shield. So far so good after 1 year…
I originally wanted to put the shock air valve under the battery facing forward but I didn’t want to drill a hole and there didn’t seem to be a lot of space in there anyway. Rerouting air lins and having to install longer ones turned me against that idea.
Hence I chose the mounting above because I keep my pump in the left bag and I have to pop the top to get top the pump anyways. Hey guys easy mod, well worth the effort and no chance to damage the bags.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:55 PM
No Tyme
Tourer

On my 06 the valve is just below the top edge of the bag when opened and with my fat fingers I can't get the pump line screwed onto the valve... No room unless you maybe have a 90 degree head on the end of the pump...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the harley pump but have tried it without removing the saddle bag, I will see if it fits...

The following users liked this post:
mshred (03-03-2019)
Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Latest addition to DIY thread.
Bag latch inserts! No more reflector!
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2865926/tm.htm
Name:  021908_164300.jpg
Views: 1936