Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Roak King this spring and I can't really find any major projects I want to do to it. One at was glaring though was the license plate. It had to replace the stock holder that stood up like...something inappropriate comes to mind that I won't say. However, I didn't want to spend $40 on one so I modded the stock holder to lay down.

I started by putting it on my anvil and pounding the recessed bolt holes more flat. To reattach I needed to cut a slot in the bolt to accommodate a flat head driver as the socket wouldn't fit anymore. I reinstalled it but that wasn't enough. I opted to break out the dremel and cut off wheel and cut the hole into a U shape. Once reinstalled I could just bend it to the desirable positin. Now it looks pretty decent with the plate back on it.

Maybe I'm partial as I'm too cheap to spend $40 on the part.

Name:  461ab05c9c60015b930be7f40ad319a5_zps15056cc3.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  785.2 KB

Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amberwhiskeyandy
Need some help here, have a 14 SG,, trying to find the separate brake wire
BEFOR it goes in the Blinker/Brake harness. I have the custom dynamic LED Brake bar light. Newer SG don't have a separate brake light to tie into so the LED bar light blinks with the turn signals. I want just a Brake light function from it. Any body have a wiring schematics on this ??? Thanks, andy
Its the blue with red stripe wire. You can splice into it in 2 places.
the connector under the seat that goes to the rear lights or under the left cover
terminal k3 of the BCM (body control module)

Old 09-06-2014, 06:49 PM
RideSlow2004
5th Gear

Originally Posted by buschsr
I've Needed a cup holder on my SG since I got it. I'm not a fan of the cruiser caddy type, nor do I want it on my bars. So, today I made one to fit a large Tervis cup, or my coffee cup.

4' of 1"x1/8th" aluminum flat stock
Spare Highway bar clamp
Some screws and paint (not painted yet)

I'm going to run around with it for a few days unfinished to see if it needs any modifications before sanding and painting.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2cK...p=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2cK...p=docslist_api

I use these on my Ultra,
http://barbuoy.com/
and a bicycle bottle holder on the Softail. Both on handlebars. Don't have skills to make something nice as shown

Old 09-08-2014, 02:57 PM
rattracer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, man I saw this post while cruising the thread. I want to do this mod. Is the original post still up?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy What mod?

Originally Posted by rattracer
Oh, man I saw this post while cruising the thread. I want to do this mod. Is the original post still up?
If you would have quoted it, we might know what mod you meant.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bike vibrates so much that if I had any cups attached to it there would be nothing left in the cup after 2 minutes. All the coffee, etc. would be all over the bike and the cup would be empty.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:55 AM
buschsr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yellotang
My bike vibrates so much that if I had any cups attached to it there would be nothing left in the cup after 2 minutes. All the coffee, etc. would be all over the bike and the cup would be empty.
Mine vibrates too. Coffee cup and tervis tumbler have good lids. I did have the tervis filled to the brim on one recent ride and I kept getting hit in the face with water. But a sip or two takes care of it.
I found out on friday that a regular 16oz bottle of water stays in the holder nicley too.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:16 AM
PaddyH3GM
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buschsr
Mine vibrates too. Coffee cup and tervis tumbler have good lids. I did have the tervis filled to the brim on one recent ride and I kept getting hit in the face with water. But a sip or two takes care of it.
I found out on friday that a regular 16oz bottle of water stays in the holder nicley too.
Contigo makes some great hot and cold beverage travel mugs. Keep the heat, one - handed operation, and fit in the holders on the bike. They are cheaper at Costco.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoknew72
I got my Roak King this spring and I can't really find any major projects I want to do to it. One at was glaring though was the license plate. It had to replace the stock holder that stood up like...something inappropriate comes to mind that I won't say. However, I didn't want to spend $40 on one so I modded the stock holder to lay down.

I started by putting it on my anvil and pounding the recessed bolt holes more flat. To reattach I needed to cut a slot in the bolt to accommodate a flat head driver as the socket wouldn't fit anymore. I reinstalled it but that wasn't enough. I opted to break out the dremel and cut off wheel and cut the hole into a U shape. Once reinstalled I could just bend it to the desirable positin. Now it looks pretty decent with the plate back on it.

Maybe I'm partial as I'm too cheap to spend $40 on the part.

I like it a lot. I'm going to do this one for sure. thx

Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Irishmike64
2nd Gear

Up to Pg. 119...lots of awesome info, Thanks to all!!

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$