Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Razorman, I did something similar to adorn my dipstick. I bought a 1" Sportster chrome caliper cover ($5 from HD), which is self-adhesive, and stuch it in the center of the dipstick head. Perfect fit. Not as creative as your approach, but looks much better than stock, and cheaper than a custom dipstick from HD.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "DIY MODS" WAY TO GO :)

PapaTravis, I'm diggin' that die you have for a nut cover on the console. Was it an easy drill or is there a special no melt speed?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I figure I'll post this here on the sticky because I "Did it myself" and it saved me a ton of $$$.

Well, I received my PCIII/Rush/K&N AC kit yesterday and installed it yesterday afternoon. It all went together very simply. Had to call FM once while resetting the throttle position, but then figured it out while on hold with them.

No issues. Great power. No pinging or exhaust leaks (used high temp gasket on the slip ons). Did I mention great power? I don't know where my MPG's will land yet, but I'll worry about that later. I have no hesitation whatsoever, anywhere. Even on startup, I let the ECM cycle through and then hit the starter. Even with the computer delay, I only noticed one rotation before it fired right up and ran smooth. There has not been any coughing, or stuttering, or anything as of yet. The bike seems to just run wayyyy better. I have noticed that the right side header is much hotter now due to the pipe configuration. Watch your boots.

I really like the sound of the Rush custom slip ons. They are louder than my stock, but when cruising down the road, I don't hear them anymore than I did my stock mufs. This is nice because it does not affect my stereo sound. But, you jump on it and they really wake up.You hear avery nice,loud,aggressive rumble on acceleration. You do notice the right side sound more, also due to the muffler configuration. It's not at all anoying though.

I will continue to listen for any pinging and watch my MPG. But for now, I really like this setup. It is very clean, easy, affordable and powerful. Exactly what I was looking and hoping for.

I did pics whilst I did the bike prepand install.I posted a step by step tutorial on my Photobucket page.

I'm sure most of this is child's play for most of you guys out there, but maybe I can help someone decide whether or not to do this themself, if they are unsure.

I skipped taking pics of some of the AC and PCIII install steps. It is all in the directions of the kits and is very straight forward.

Here are the two links. G'Luck!

Fuel Moto PCIII-Rush-K&N AC Preparation

Fuel moto PCIII-Rush-K&N AC Install

Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That is a great idea. I have been wondering how to route a vent line. I tied a black hose but didn't like the look. thanks for posting.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great pics of the install mvinc01. Love seeing installation pics since it helps to understand the process. Never hesitate to do them, you have folks who appreciate it!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Raxus. I love that sig pic man. She's frickin' hypnotic....getting sleepy....very sleepy....[sm=insomnia.gif]

I had a big time bone-head accident the other night, so I had to pull my fairing yesterday to do some minor repairs. Below are a couple more little things I did tonight while it was off.

Pics #1 & 2 Here's my version of the GarageDoor Opener mod.Had a spareCraftsman opener thatI paintedblack.Purchased the HD OdometerReset Button #67854-98 $9.95 and the rubber boot #67880-94$2.95 & some male/female shielded connectors.I cut the wires on the momentary switch in half and soldered the ends of two to the terms in the opener. Then crimped the male/female connectors on all four ends. This gave me the openerwith wires coming out of a hole going to the switch with QD's in the middle. Cut down some of the material under the glove box lid and drilled a hole in the front ofit. Mounted it all up with the screw on boot, and some HD velcro underneath. It works great and is easily removeable for batery change or throwing into another vehicle.

The scratches on the door are from and old cell phone mount I had there for my MP3 player. Next time I find $40 in the couch cushions, I'll proly replace it and redo the opener and B&S emblem.

Pic #3 Wanted to see what the red lighted guages look like. The lights in all the small guages just pop in. The Speedo and Tach are sealed units. I don't know if it's possible to change them. I'll see how this looks on my next night ride. So far, I kinda like it.

Also threw some poly-fill quilt batting inside the fairing, to back pack the Hog Wired speakers for a little better sound.

Next will probably come the Tune Trapper and an Hogtunes fairing amp.

I have some of that Profinish protective film coming in the mail. I'll probably do some detailed pics and a detailed write up of that install.

Side note...Then, after I got it all buttoned up,two of the windshield grommets were damaged in the accident and broke off whileI was reinstalling the shorty shield. The last thing I had to do. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the fairingagain to replace, butI have a funny feeling I will have to.[:@]

Anyone know what these little rubber nuts cost?Or a part number?

[IMG]local://upfiles/26031/E20779F249164B73A7B21DBC5B733EC4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26031/3CD301A2FB2649009ADC966E5F090BAD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26031/87857741A8664913B7B698FC4F3AE47A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
torq
Advanced

Thanks for all the info guys, i have learned alot from everybody. i actually was thinking about purchasing the HD garage door opener kit until i got some ideas from this site. what i did was solder wires to opener then conect them to a momentary contact toggle switch and installed the switch to an existing hole in the frame works like a charm and looks good thanks again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43419/00CADF5E6B3F43B4BBAAF4040F90DD2C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did cut the original antenna before I just like this new antenna with the coil look to it....

Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 AM
hardav23
Tourer

If you want to totally get rid of your whip radio antenna, just unplug it from the radio inside the fairing and install a marine antenna. Just zip tie it to existing wired inside fairing and you wont notice a difference in reception. $15.00 PS just tuck the wire away somewhere and remove the old whip bracket.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
FLHT MAN
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: big_al

I just installed a shortie antenna, I bought it at the auto parts store and it cost $6.98 plus tax. I am sure that someone else has done it but I thought I would share anyways. At least the bike does not look like a remote control scoot...

[IMG]local://upfiles/45508/4737F25100D94BFFADBECAAA58021EE5.jpg[/IMG]
i just cut my stock one down.....free....

Name:  008-1.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  58.5 KB

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$